Luxury Cruise Basics: The 6 Types of Upscale Sailings

LauraS

I'm interested in how people define "luxury". I've seen lots of examples but examples aren't definitions.

For instance, if a new cruise line burst into the scene, how will you decide if it's a luxury line or not? Is it based on 300 pax or fewer, all-inclusive, no kids allowed?

I suspect that some will back into a definition based on the examples, but I'm truly interested in finding out since there seems to be disagreement over what lines are luxury.

You ask a good question but IMO, it is subjective as shown by this board. Oceania, for example, is not considered "luxury" by the CEO of the company yet Cruise Critic defines it as luxury. I know - this in't helping. We have sailed two of the most popular four "luxury" cruise lines (Regent and Silversea) and also Oceania - a premium plus cruise line so I'll give my opinion of what "luxury" on the mid-size cruise ships. Keep in mind that luxury cruise lines have been changing (getting slightly larger) over the years.

Most (not all) luxury cruise lines are all-inclusive (the "big four" that I keep referring to are all-inclusive but some are more so than others since Regent includes most excursions, Silversea includes some excursions and Crystal and Seabourn, to my knowledge, do not include excursions). Some include air (Regent includes international Business Class air) and some include a pre-cruise stay at a hotel.

All luxury cruise lines allow children - much to the dismay of many luxury cruisers. IMO, people that take their children on luxury cruise lines are doing it for themselves rather than for their children as there is little to do and most children do not like sitting down to dinner for 1 1/2 - 2 hours (which is typical for people dining in the upscale restaurants on luxury cruise lines). The "sort of" exception to this is during the summer and school breaks when special programs are put on for children. During this time, many luxury cruisers will not cruise since they prefer a cruise without children.

On a luxury cruise line, everyone is treated the same once you walk outside of your suite. No one cares if you are in the top or lower category suite. The lack of a "class system" is enticing to most of us.

You do not sign for things on luxury cruise lines (unless you are purchasing a super premium wine or spirit). Note: Luxury cruise lines carry top shelf alcohol (Grey Goose vodka, Patron tequila, etc.) but some people want Dom Perignon champagne and there is a charge for that level of alcohol.

There is no charge for specialty restaurants (exception - some restaurants on Silversea have a charge).

There is open seating in restaurants (exception - Crystal that will have open seating within the next year).

Most (not all) luxury cruise ships are all suite, all-balcony (Regent does have one ship with 80% balconies and I believe that Silversea's smaller ships may have suites without balconies).

You can ask that the chef make something special for you (with 24 hours notice). Obviously, the ship must have the ingredients in order to make the dish.

Most but not all luxury cruise lines have butlers. On Silversea, everyone has a butler but on Regent, only higher level categories have butlers.

This is really difficult. The above does not pertain to Europa 1 and 2 because they are not inclusive and welcome families even though they are considered luxury (they are also owned and operated by a German company and, as of now, most passengers are not English speakers).

Most luxury cruise lines carry 450+ passengers (exception: Silversea's older ships and expedition ships -- their new ships are larger).

Most luxury cruise lines have suites that are over 300 sq. ft.

Not sure if this helped at all. People will argue about luxury and some just want their favorite cruise line to be included. North American's tend to look at the major cruise lines as follows:

Luxury - Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea and Sea Dream (Sea Dream being a much smaller ship).

Premium Plus - Azamara, Oceania and Viking Ocean

There are also luxury river cruise lines, luxury yachts, etc.

Wrapping up, this is what luxury is to us:

-All suite, all balcony ship that carries between 450 and 900 passengers

-All inclusive

-Everyone is treated equally once they walk outside of their suite

-Accepts children but do not advertise to get children onboard

-Great food

-Personal attention to detail

I tried to find an actual "definition" but, again, even "CruiseWeb Blog" says that "Luxury is hard to define; it's not a tangible thing......"

Travelcat2 I do agree with you about luxury cruise lines but Crystal in my opinion doesn't fall into this category. Crystal cabins start at outside cabins not suites and they have over 1,000 passengers. The big three largest ship carry over 500 passengers. Crystal has great reputation for having the best food and service of all cruise ships but this alone doesn't make it with the big three. I am a big advocate of the star system. I believe the star system will take the guess work on what ships are ultra luxury, luxury and premium cruise lines. But in order to determine what makes a cruise line 6, 5 or 4 star they must have certain standards for each star determination. I believe a 6 star ship must start with all suite cabins not outside cabins. The number of passengers is a major consideration less is better. The food must be gourmet type somewhat.The service must be impeccable with crew never saying no or we can't do that and the ratio crew to passenger 2 to 1 or less. I have been on 50+ cruises from 4 star to 6 star in my opinion. The bottom line there must be some type of standards to take the guess work out of choosing a cruise line for their family.

Travelcat2 I do agree with you about luxury cruise lines but Crystal in my opinion doesn't fall into this category. Crystal cabins start at outside cabins not suites and they have over 1,000 passengers. The big three largest ship carry over 500 passengers. Crystal has great reputation for having the best food and service of all cruise ships but this alone doesn't make it with the big three. I am a big advocate of the star system. I believe the star system will take the guess work on what ships are ultra luxury, luxury and premium cruise lines. But in order to determine what makes a cruise line 6, 5 or 4 star they must have certain standards for each star determination. I believe a 6 star ship must start with all suite cabins not outside cabins. The number of passengers is a major consideration less is better. The food must be gourmet type somewhat.The service must be impeccable with crew never saying no or we can't do that and the ratio crew to passenger 2 to 1 or less. I have been on 50+ cruises from 4 star to 6 star in my opinion. The bottom line there must be some type of standards to take the guess work out of choosing a cruise line for their family.

it's not about how many stars a cruise line has but about who awards those stars. It doesn't count of the cruise line itself awards six stars. And six stars is meaningless anyway.

Agree with so much of what you are saying....... but, if I don't bring up Silversea's ships, someone else likely will.

The Silver Wind carries only 296 guests and the smallest cabin is 240 sq. ft. with no balcony (I would never sail on this old ship).

The Silver Shadow and Whisper (I love these ships) carry 382 passengers and their smallest suite has no balcony and is 287 sq. ft. (note: we sailed both ships one time and stayed in a Silver Suite which is 653-701 sq. ft. including a balcony.

It is the exceptions that tend to blur the lines. I personally would have no problem thinking of Crystal as less than the other luxury cruise lines but I'm liable to be tarred and feathered if I do so.

In terms of stars, I would have no problem using them if they were consistent, meant something and were standardized. Based on what I've read over the years, Crystal would rate high for entertainment and very low for cabins. Not sure where I'd rate that. Also, IMO, (and hopefully I can say this on CC), what I read about on Crystal on the Crystal board is very different than what I hear from friends that are/were long time customers of Crystal. They say that there is a definite change from what Crystal was prior to being sold to what it is now. The three friends that I have that have many cruises on Crystal are not liking what they are seeing. It also sounds as if Crystal lost quite a few world cruisers when Regent resumed doing them. Sorry for taking this a bit off topic but my comments are Crystal related and we are both questioning where they fall in the luxury category and even if they belong there.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2, thanks for your replies. They are helpful to me.

Wripro, if six stars is meaningless to you, what do you find meaningful?

As I said what's meaningful to me is who awards the stars. I could easily start my own blog and award stars as I see fit. That is meaningless as when Regent billed itself as a six star cruise line. When Michelin awards three stars to a restaurant that means something. When the restaurant awards itself three stars it means nothing.