Stateroom selection method

nini

Hi All-

We have never cruised on Viking Ocean but we know how to choose a cabin on Princess!

It looks like the aft balconies on the Viking ships are smaller than the other ones. Has anyone had one of these rooms? (I am asking about the balcony itself, not the room)

I can tell on the Princess deck plans which balconies are bigger (we love our aft cabins).

Thanks fir any comments!

We had an DV1 aft balcony on the Viking Star. I think it was the same size as others. Depending on the itinerary, i probably would not book an aft balcony again.

We love watching the wake when we sail. The Viking West Indies cruise had no seadays, so, other than at 10:00 at night we didn't have much opportunity to watch the wake.

It's been my impression that all veranda rooms are the same size, regardless of location, but I could be wrong.

We usually don't care much about location on Oceania ships, and the same is true after one cruise on Viking Star. People tend to worry about noise here and there (across from laundry room, near two-story atrium, above theater, etc.) but I haven't read that too many people have been bothered by noise. Of course, the doors on cruise ships are built to close automatically (fire suppression feature perhaps?) so you might hear some slamming of doors - wherever you are.

We like to be mid-ship, just because that means there are no long walks from one end of the ship to the other - where, for starters, a ship's restaurants tend to be located. Mid-ship is usually also a good place to be if you have any fears about seasickness, though most people don't ever experience that. Some people like to be up top, which is perhaps one reason many cruise ships put their most expensive rooms up there. However, I've never been up top on a cruise ship, so couldn't tell you if there's any advantage to being up there. Even if I want to be up top, I figure a walk or elevator ride is just a minute or two away!

• 3 weeks later...
It's been my impression that all veranda rooms are the same size, regardless of location, but I could be wrong.

We usually don't care much about location on Oceania ships, and the same is true after one cruise on Viking Star. People tend to worry about noise here and there (across from laundry room, near two-story atrium, above theater, etc.) but I haven't read that too many people have been bothered by noise. Of course, the doors on cruise ships are built to close automatically (fire suppression feature perhaps?) so you might hear some slamming of doors - wherever you are.

We like to be mid-ship, just because that means there are no long walks from one end of the ship to the other - where, for starters, a ship's restaurants tend to be located. Mid-ship is usually also a good place to be if you have any fears about seasickness, though most people don't ever experience that. Some people like to be up top, which is perhaps one reason many cruise ships put their most expensive rooms up there. However, I've never been up top on a cruise ship, so couldn't tell you if there's any advantage to being up there. Even if I want to be up top, I figure a walk or elevator ride is just a minute or two away!

If you have the opportunity to sail into the NY harbor on a high deck, you might be able to sir up in bed and see the statue of liberty as you pass her as I did on the 11th deck of the QM2 in 2005!

• 3 weeks later...

We are very disappointed with Viking today. We had booked the Far East & Alaska cruise for 2019. We just found out that our grandson's high school graduation will be during the last part of the cruise. I called today and had my travel agent drop the last part of the cruise but we will do the first half Far Eastern Horizons. We made our reservation in April and got a port side room, today when the TA called they immediately took our room away from us and put us in a starboard side room across from the elevators. I am very angry with Viking. They said my room was sold, Immediately? That is not customer friendly service!

We are very disappointed with Viking today. We had booked the Far East & Alaska cruise for 2019. We just found out that our grandson's high school graduation will be during the last part of the cruise. I called today and had my travel agent drop the last part of the cruise but we will do the first half Far Eastern Horizons. We made our reservation in April and got a port side room, today when the TA called they immediately took our room away from us and put us in a starboard side room across from the elevators. I am very angry with Viking. They said my room was sold, Immediately? That is not customer friendly service!

Contact the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and share your concerns with them directly.

Not sure which elevators you are close to, but if the aft ones, I can tell you that the elevators aren't really very close to any staterooms. The corridor with rooms enters out into an area with the stairs and then the elevators. The elevators are quiet. It may not be a bad location.

Yes, the folks at TellUs is the best place to start.

If TellUs doesn't work - and it should -- and you're a US customer, try calling Viking again at 888.663.8454 and this time exercise the option to connect with a particular Viking agent - extension 8025. Trish is my Viking agent. Her office hours are Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday 8:00AM – 4:45 PM PST and Sunday 7:30AM – 4:00PM PST. She's been my goto person from our very first Viking River cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know that this wasn't really asked for, but I wanted to chime in with how we "selected" our cabin. We found a thread on here detailing potential undesirable cabin locations (obstructed views, ones that might not offer as much privacy, and so on) and gave that list to our Viking agent.

For Viking Ocean, here were the cabin numbers that we said NOT to book (the original thread's images don't seem to work, so I'm super glad I kept my list in text form!):

3000 [potential safety issue, like Louis Majesty]

3001 [potential safety issue, like Louis Majesty]

6098 [partially obstructed view]

6099 [partially obstructed view]

Hope this helps someone looking for what cabins to avoid. I do apologize for not making note of all of the ones which were obstructed views, privacy, etc. There were a few that were potential safety issues, like what happened on the Louis Majesty.

OK, now I'm curious: Are the ones deemed to have potential safety issues, is that just because they're at the very end of the corridor, with the longest walk to a stairway, or what? Also, what happened on Louis Majesty? And the rooms on 6 that are listed as having obstructed views, what's in the way?

OK, now I'm curious: Are the ones deemed to have potential safety issues, is that just because they're at the very end of the corridor, with the longest walk to a stairway, or what? Also, what happened on Louis Majesty? And the rooms on 6 that are listed as having obstructed views, what's in the way?

There was something with a wave that hit those windows and shattered them on the Louis Majesty. Unfortunately the original thread had wonderful photos of each of the obstructions (along with comparison photos of the whole Louis Majesty thing), I should have saved the thread to PDF to retain it :(

Maybe @RonBe65 could re-post the photos?

There was something with a wave that hit those windows and shattered them on the Louis Majesty. Unfortunately the original thread had wonderful photos of each of the obstructions (along with comparison photos of the whole Louis Majesty thing), I should have saved the thread to PDF to retain it :(

Maybe @RonBe65 could re-post the photos?

He posted a lot of photos that are hosted on a third-party website that has decided to become a paid service. If he pays the fee, he can make them visible again but I don't know how he is going to repost all of the photos again for all of the posts that he has made with photos in them; that's a lot of work.

The aft suites on 6, the ones with the wrap-around balconies, are right beside the enclosure for the Infinity pool on deck 7 and thus there is a bit of an obstruction. But really, is it worth complaining about. None of the obstructed views on the ships involve anything like a lifeboat hanging directly in front of the balcony.

The potential safety hazard for the cabins on deck 3 forward is only an issue in very heavy seas where waves crash over the bow and could potential smash the plate glass windows (which is what happened on Louis Majesty).

He posted a lot of photos that are hosted on a third-party website that has decided to become a paid service. If he pays the fee, he can make them visible again but I don't know how he is going to repost all of the photos again for all of the posts that he has made with photos in them; that's a lot of work.

The aft suites on 6, the ones with the wrap-around balconies, are right beside the enclosure for the Infinity pool on deck 7 and thus there is a bit of an obstruction. But really, is it worth complaining about. None of the obstructed views on the ships involve anything like a lifeboat hanging directly in front of the balcony.

The potential safety hazard for the cabins on deck 3 forward is only an issue in very heavy seas where waves crash over the bow and could potential smash the plate glass windows (which is what happened on Louis Majesty).

Yeah :( That's unfortunate. Good to know about 3000 / 3001, so for most sailings that shouldn't be an issue?

we were in 3003 and our friends in 3002 (V2) for a 21 day Barcelona/Baltic Cruise. I would book that cabin again. Yes, our Balcony( not doorwall into cabin) outside plexglass shattered (did not break) when we had some rough seas....but once it calmed down they fixed it. I was NEVER frightened. Some noise from below (theatre) but not bad.

I do not think the far forward cabin on any deck are a problem other than like ANY ship the middle lower will feel less movement.

I know that this wasn't really asked for, but I wanted to chime in with how we "selected" our cabin. We found a thread on here detailing potential undesirable cabin locations (obstructed views, ones that might not offer as much privacy, and so on) and gave that list to our Viking agent.

For Viking Ocean, here were the cabin numbers that we said NOT to book (the original thread's images don't seem to work, so I'm super glad I kept my list in text form!):

3000 [potential safety issue, like Louis Majesty]

3001 [potential safety issue, like Louis Majesty]

6098 [partially obstructed view]

6099 [partially obstructed view]

Hope this helps someone looking for what cabins to avoid. I do apologize for not making note of all of the ones which were obstructed views, privacy, etc. There were a few that were potential safety issues, like what happened on the Louis Majesty.

We stayed in 3005 on our last cruise and it was great! Quiet and down the end of the hall, so not a lot of foot traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in room 3007 for 22 days from Athens to Barcelona and had no issues at all. :)

The interesting thing is that the person who drew up the list of cabins that might have issues hadn't actually stayed in any of them so it is good to hear from folks who have actually stayed in those cabins.

3003 one caveat....we did hear the anchor!

but heard NO noise outside our door.

Both times we sailed, we had cabins half way down the corridor. We never heard any one passing up and down the passageways and I have to admit to one morning opening the cabin door and being surprised at how many people were actually out there--and not being particularly quiet. In fact, for our next cruise we have booked a cabin just a door or two down from the aft stairwell and I expect it to be just as quiet.