Viking Cruise - Regansburg - Weltenburg Abbey

Yosef90

we would like to visit weltenburg abbey - about 25 miles from regansburg

anyone help with "how to get there" - i would like to do a half-day or less visit

but it seems a bit difficult to get there

thanks- yosef90

On the ship, our friend spoke to the desk staff asking what day we would be longest at a port in the coming days; she and her husband were contemplating renting a car to visit the town where he was born; she conversationally mentioned he was born on a Canadian Air Force base near a certain town in France. The Viking person said she would get back to her.

Later, delivered to her cabin was an amazing typed summary of what the woman had found -- information about the base location, mileage, maps, route information, etc. She clearly went to a lot of work. We were all so impressed!

All that to say, I suspect Viking would make sure you get there if possible.

Yosef90,

dogsarepeopletoo's experience makes me think it might be a good idea to ask on the ship (the day you arrive) what they can do for you. 25 miles sounds feasible. This is the abbey: http://kloster-weltenburg.de/ They have the oldest brewery in the world. It is upstream from Regensburg a little past Kelheim where the ships turn off the river to sail the canal. That is why river cruisers will never be able to see Weltenburg abbey on a cruise directly although it is right on the Danube. An outing sounds great does Viking not offer this as an optional? I am a little surprised.

By car it is 65min., public transport is a little awkward involving train and bus. Kloster Weltenburg advises taking a train and the rest by taxi, or a part boat trip on the river, German page only: http://kloster-weltenburg.de/anfahrt/

Perhaps this helps a bit.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Look around on that Regensburg website. There are probably commercial tours available.

We did a combination tour of Weltenberg Abbey and then a boat through the Danube Gorge with GCT. It was long enough ago that I don't recall details, it may not have been a round trip but rather a get off the ship in one place and reboard at another. Doesn't Viking offer this tour?

• 3 weeks later...
we would like to visit weltenburg abbey - about 25 miles from regansburg

anyone help with "how to get there" - i would like to do a half-day or less visit

but it seems a bit difficult to get there

thanks- yosef90

If you are on Viking, I know the Abbey is an optional activity on the Romantic Danube cruise. Viking would arrange everything for you.

Personally I've read the mixed reviews about crowds and am not that excited about it. But there are many people who LOVE it.