Viking Silver Spirit Beverage Package

wholelotta

I was wondering if the cost of the beverage package is worth it. It averages out to about $30. per day, per person. Unaware of how long we are in ports, it is difficult to say if a person will be on the ship to enjoy the lounge. I also do not know the hours that the lounge/bar is open.

If you opt for the house wine/beer available with lunch or dinner--are you limited to one glass? Europe is expensive--so I don't know how much of a buy you get buying wine or beer in port. I believe that I read that there is not a corkage fee at dinner. What makes the easy decisions so difficult??

I am booked on the Viking Ageir in September (Grand European). Looking forward to the trip!!

Wines in europe are comparably priced to the US and like with everything, depending on the city - town you're in.

As for the drink package, you mentioned $30 per day so if a mixed drink is $5 will you drink 6 a day? And if beer is $3-$4 will you consume 8-10?

From my experience the lounge is open as long as people are there.

Most of the tours are in the morning and depending on when the ship departs, you will have free time to do your own thing. Some people stay in town and others come back to the ship to rest or visit the lounge. Sometimes there are tours in the afternoon or the ship may cruise. You'll have plenty of time to visit the lounge and if the weather is good, the sun deck.

We usually opt for the package instead of having to sign for each drink. There are no receipts to keep up with, etc. There is someone at the bar prerrt as long as you want to be there. It might be a little pricey but it is worth less hassle. After one evening they usuallt know who is using the package. Wine and beer are offered free with lunch and dinner now (unlimited). The choice is yours and they do not pressure you to buy the package.

I was wondering if the cost of the beverage package is worth it. It averages out to about $30. per day, per person. Unaware of how long we are in ports, it is difficult to say if a person will be on the ship to enjoy the lounge. I also do not know the hours that the lounge/bar is open.

If you opt for the house wine/beer available with lunch or dinner--are you limited to one glass? Europe is expensive--so I don't know how much of a buy you get buying wine or beer in port. I believe that I read that there is not a corkage fee at dinner. What makes the easy decisions so difficult??

I am booked on the Viking Ageir in September (Grand European). Looking forward to the trip!!

I have taken Viking cruises with the package and without. It all depends if you are a drinker. During the afternoons while cruising you may like to have a drink; or a cocktail before dinner or even after dinner during the show time. The wine served at dinner is unlimited - but it is the house wine. We opt to buy our own wine to our liking. I thought it was a good deal to get the package.

Absolutely. We do it all of the time. If you take your bottle to the dinning room, they may or may not charge you a corkage fee. We buy ours and drink it in our room, or will take a glass up to the sundeck while cruising.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
I have taken Viking cruises with the package and without. It all depends if you are a drinker. During the afternoons while cruising you may like to have a drink; or a cocktail before dinner or even after dinner during the show time. The wine served at dinner is unlimited - but it is the house wine. We opt to buy our own wine to our liking. I thought it was a good deal to get the package.

just an FYI both persons in a cabin must buy the drink package

We are new to Viking and to their liquor policies. $30.00 is quite expensive. How much does a Scotch and water cost? I guess we'd have to know what a simple cocktail, made with premium liquor, would cost in order to make an informed decision on the packages. Thanks.

We are new to Viking and to their liquor policies. $30.00 is quite expensive. How much does a Scotch and water cost? I guess we'd have to know what a simple cocktail, made with premium liquor, would cost in order to make an informed decision on the packages. Thanks.

5.50 Euros - 7 Euros depending on brand. A typical bar menu can be found HERE.

Cheers,

When I was"researching the pros and cons of purchasing a "drink package" rather than just "paying as you go", I read the "fine print". Buying a drink package (at least on Avalon) does NOT entitle you to ANYTHING in the bar ("call brands") you want. The packag generally only includes the "house brand" (well-drinks). The package entitles you to a vodka and tonic - it did NOT entitle you to a "Ketel One" and tonic. It entitled you to a Scotch on the rocks - It did NOT entitle you to a Macallan or Glenlivet on the rocks. It included a gin and tonic - But it did NOT entitle you to a Bombay Saphire and tonic. You got a rum and coke. It did not include a Myers and coke, etc. Be aware of this if you have specific preferences in your liquor. I came to the same conclusion as some of the other posters have. Namely, it's not worth the relatively high additional amount of money they want for these packages. Particularly when you factor in that you are allowed to locally purchase and bring onboard any booze you want to on the boat and drink it in your room, while looking out at the scenery, or carry a glass up onto the sky deck. On average, you'd have to be drinking between $30-35 dollars worth of extra drinks each and every day (both you and your stateroom partner). That would be in addition to the complimentary wine and beer that the cruise is already providing you at dinners. "Paying as you go" in the bar for whatever you want is absolutely no problem. Remember, these are small boats. It takes all of 10-seconds for them to hand you a little paper "chit" for you to sign for each drink you select - over and above the complimentary liquor they're already servingl you and the stuff you might have in your room.

We did not buy the drink package on Viking. WE did however purchase our drinks on the mainland and bring them aboard. You can get a bottle of beer of six-pack. They will give you ice...and there are nice glasses in the room. There was never a problem with bringing a drink into the lounge or dinner. And you get beer and/or wine with dinner and lunch. The special drink of the day is usually about 5 euros.

Visit Viking's website and look under frequently asked questions. http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/bar_menu.pdf You can find a price list for all drinks. We never had a problem when we took the package. Was always served named brand liquor. Had a martini each night before dinner and drinks after dinner during the shows while cruising.

• 5 years later...
Another question, I assume if you purchase the package you can chose a bottle of wine from their premium wine list at dinner.

Absolutely! We enjoy studying the wine list and choosing a different bottle of wine each night with our dinner. There are always a couple of fairly expensive wines that are not included in the package, but, after 4 Viking cruises, we have never been disappointed in the wine list. Also, many of the servers are very knowledgeable about the wines and can help you choose.

Absolutely! We enjoy studying the wine list and choosing a different bottle of wine each night with our dinner. There are always a couple of fairly expensive wines that are not included in the package, but, after 4 Viking cruises, we have never been disappointed in the wine list. Also, many of the servers are very knowledgeable about the wines and can help you choose.

Thank you for your reply! We look forward to choosing some interesting wines!

Alcohol and (most) food prices are very reasonable in Europe. Where I live in Germany (Düsseldorf), you can get a reasonable bottle of wine in the 5 to 7 euro range at pretty much any grocery store or kiosk. If you go to a discount grocery store (Like Aldi (I work for them), Hofer, or even *gasp* Lidl), you'll find even better deals. At Aldi Süd, you'll find these wines in a .75 liter (25.4 ounces) bottle in their regular assortment, and this includes tax:

Lugana DOC 5.99

2016 Pinot Noir Rose Pays d'Oc IGP 2.59 (This scored 87 out of 100 points at falstaff.de)

Vinho Verde DOC 2.59

Rioja DOCa Rosado 2.59

2016 Sauvignon Blanc Südafrika 2.29 (This scored 88 out of 100 points at falstaff.de)

5, 50 Euros - 7 Euros depending on brand. A typical bar menu can be found HERE.

Cheers,

Just got off the Embla. Drinks were way more expensive than that. Our gin and tonic and rusty nails were 8 Euros and 8.50 Euros respectively.

At dinner we were fortunate if the wine person came twice, once at lunch. They seemed understaffed so that was likely the reason.

We did not get the drink package on last month's Viking cruise. We were a group of 8; all wine drinkers but me (beer drinker). The wine at dinner seemed to flow freely, though I would often have to be pro-active and ask if I wanted a second beer.

Our friends regularly bought wine in port and drank it on the sun deck or the lounge at night. Boat staff brought wine glasses.

I did go to the bar on occasion and buy a beer or a soda.

As an aside, we were enjoying a beer outdoors at a small restaurant in Germany -- we all chuckled to note beer was less expensive than the one soda a friend ordered.

As an aside, we were enjoying a beer outdoors at a small restaurant in Germany -- we all chuckled to note beer was less expensive than the one soda a friend ordered.

This is totally typical. When my husband visits me, his diet coke and water bill can be more than both our entrees. Restaurants will also usually have non alcoholic beer which is also very affordable, especially if you are comparing volume wise.