Question for past world cruisers on all cruise lines

ijkh

Confessions please.

How many bags/suitcases do you personally bring for a world cruise?

How many bags have you seen other bring?

So have you see people boarding with unusual things for a many month journey?

Tell your stories please.

Edited by ijkh

1. How many bags/suitcases do you personally bring for a world cruise?

Too many, including Anne Marie's shoes. :D

Sometimes climate has a role in this if you need clothing for warm or cold weather. We used to take eight plus carry ons. Last year we took 10 but part of that is because we had one segment with very cold weather and we also brought gifts for several crew members and we like to change up what we wear because you can bring far less but you may get bored with it. Also we bring all of our cosmetics and toiletries and medicines and the like to avoid buying any in port. We have one 28" suitcase that is pretty much taken up with cosmetics/toiletries and over the counter medicines. We do come prepared for colds, and a wide range of illnesses.

We also bring wire and plastic hangers so that pretty much all of the wooden hangers can be removed to gain space in the closet for hanging items. While the cruise line would provide say thin hangers we just prefer to take our own so all of this takes space.

2. How many bags have you seen other bring?

I would say on average six bags for a couple plus carry ons. I've seen as many as 20 for one solo woman and some couples with 15 or more. I've known couples who have gotten adjoining rooms because of their clothes and wanting to bathrooms.

3. So have you see people boarding with unusual things for a many month journey?

I know of people who ship certain items including furniture and other items such as lamps.

Keith

In February 2011, we did 3 segments of the Regent World Cruise. We had 7 bags plus carry-ons. But, we were going to be in both hot (Vietnam, Thailand)and cold (China) climates plus everything in between so had to bring a little of everything. One suitcase was completely empty.

After leaving China, we did ship home our cold weather clothes along with things we had bought along the way or else we would have had a lot more to deal with.

I will say we loved the 3 segments of the WC. In fact we came home for 3 weeks and then flew back to Rome to pick up the last segment of that WC.

We are seriously thinking about the 2015 Crystal WC.

Karen

A man can get by on two 50 lb. bags and a carry on. The women, not so much. They need more. The crystal 2015 WC is all southern hemisphere so that can cut down on some clothing. Do not forget you purchase items along the way and you may need to carry them back. That could mean an additional bag. :eek:

The secret to having room for purchases is to use the bag that you took to the ship with cosmetics/toiletries and other disposable items that frees up at the end of the cruise. For two people I estimate that if you bring all of these items with you, then you can free up a bag.

Keith

Crystal stores is for us. We keep a couple of bags in our room. Usually one for toiletries/cosmetics and the like we don't need right away and if there is a change in climates we might keep one with some clothes in it but for 2015 we won't need to do the latter.

This year we are taking two less suitcases then we did last year. Thank goodness!

Keith

• 1 month later...

We did 2009 107 day WC on Tahutian Princess. Each had 2 50# bags and 2 carry ons, one being a hang up bag. We took everything we could imagine we needed for any ailment, medications for 4 months ( and yes, our insurance did a ' vacation override' so we had enough meds), laundry stuff ( piwder soap, dryer sheets, quarters) calendar for mirror with our daily schedule, pictures of family, door decorations, blue painters tape, sewing kit, travel info, food stuffs for excursions, laundry bag, over the door hanger fir the bathroom door to hold all our toiletries, 3m hooks for the cabin walls for jackets, hats, etc. we took cards for holidays, birthdays to mail home for occasions. Lots of sd cards and CDs to store our pictures. Power stripe to plug in all our chargeables.

We used a visa service since no India consulate in our area...worked very well but $$. We only need 2 visas before we left home ( china and India) ..rest were obtained by the ship on board and they billed our account.

Our ship charges were billed every segment and changed to our credit card. Every segment we got new Internet minutes and people were upgraded to next level if they earned it.

Hope this helps a bit....it was a long process to get ready and think of everything...but a once in a lifetime trip and we cherish the memories.

Hi...we went on the 104 day World Cruise on the Pacific Princess in 2012. We each had 1 large suitcase, (50 pounds), and a carry on. At the end of the cruise, we had what we brought on the ship with and added another suitcase. Did we need the full suitcase each? No...it's the old saying, "bring 1/2 as many clothes and twice as much $$$". We knew someone who came on board with a large nap sack and a carry on. We saw them at the end of the cruise and it looked awkward; they should have taken 1 suitcase and it would have been easier for them. Don't forget, you can do laundry on board or send it out but either way, you don't have to have a different outfit for each day. Formal? I had 3 outfits and I changed the jewelry. Keep it simple. And yes, I heard of someone who had 22 bags of luggage; I have no idea what they would put in it. With our additional bag, we had to pay 110 euros extra to get it home.

I heard a story (can't verify if it was true or not) about a couple that rented a second cabin to store their luggage as they brought 22 suitcases :eek:.

IJKH, Keith, Kirk. As I posted elsewhere, we once 'peeked' into a Stateroom packed to ceiling with a WC passenger's luggage, it was wa-aay more than 22. All #numbered/dated. Locomotiveman

At the moment my wife and I are in the midst of packing for a W/C from NYC on 1/18. Our last was in 2011 and seemed to go well. Since it's mostly Far East we keep thinking about all those bargains in Hong Kong, Vietnam and China. But, to the point you raise. We both take two rather large suitcases, both suitcases collapsible, one of which with wheels. Mainly, I have 4 pairs of walking shorts; 4 short sleeve light pullover shirts; 3 tuxedo shirts (and the Tux to go with them) A cream colored dinner jacket; 2 dress shirts; 4 short sheve light button shirts worn on the outside of the shorts/pants; 2 light weight khaki pants; 1 navy blue travel suit; one Haspel light tan suit; 1 lightweight sport coat; a blazer; 3 neckties; fast dry skivies (can't resist a Navy term); 1 pair light weight white deck shoes; 1 pair running shoes; 1 pair dress loafers; 1 pair tuxedo shoes. 1 sweater; 1 light gym pants; 2 swimming trunks. I think that's about it. I wear a blazer, dress slacks and a heavier Cunard jacket to NYC in Januay. Wife has first aid kit. We both have plenty of pills (I'm 82, she's 76). I used to smuggle 1 ltr scotch along, but I've stopped drinking.

We sailed across the Atlantic in a 50 ft sloop in 05 and 06 and clothespins were a big thing. Hope this may be of some interest and value to you.

Jerry

• 1 year later...
At the moment my wife and I are in the midst of packing for a W/C from NYC on 1/18. Our last was in 2011 and seemed to go well. Since it's mostly Far East we keep thinking about all those bargains in Hong Kong, Vietnam and China. But, to the point you raise. We both take two rather large suitcases, both suitcases collapsible, one of which with wheels. Mainly, I have 4 pairs of walking shorts; 4 short sleeve light pullover shirts; 3 tuxedo shirts (and the Tux to go with them) A cream colored dinner jacket; 2 dress shirts; 4 short sheve light button shirts worn on the outside of the shorts/pants; 2 light weight khaki pants; 1 navy blue travel suit; one Haspel light tan suit; 1 lightweight sport coat; a blazer; 3 neckties; fast dry skivies (can't resist a Navy term); 1 pair light weight white deck shoes; 1 pair running shoes; 1 pair dress loafers; 1 pair tuxedo shoes. 1 sweater; 1 light gym pants; 2 swimming trunks. I think that's about it. I wear a blazer, dress slacks and a heavier Cunard jacket to NYC in Januay. Wife has first aid kit. We both have plenty of pills (I'm 82, she's 76). I used to smuggle 1 ltr scotch along, but I've stopped drinking.

We sailed across the Atlantic in a 50 ft sloop in 05 and 06 and clothespins were a big thing. Hope this may be of some interest and value to you.

Jerry

Good to know you what you packed==what did the missus pack?

• 6 months later...

Haven't done a cruise longer than 45 days yet but I've done several longer trips, the longest was 5-1/2 months. We each carry a backpack and a small suitcase that would be a carry on if we were flying. We each carry 9 outfits and plan to wash clothes about once a week. Works great for us. We travel so much we rarely buy souvenirs these days.

• 4 weeks later...
Contemplating a world cruise but uncertain of which ship to choose. Pacific Princess seems a bit small. Queen Mary 2 seems to have attractive ports. Any feedback is much appreciated.

The itinerary for QM2 in 2016 is amazing and one Cunard does not do all that often. Cunard always has a large number of lecturers on a wide variety of topics (sorry, I don't know if Princess has the same). You will have more formal nights on Cunard (we had about 35 on this year's World Voyage).

If you are looking for something in size between the Pacific Princess and QM2, you might consider HAL's Amsterdam or Cunard's Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria.

I can highly recommend a world cruise - what an experience!

I see you cruise RCL, HAL. The WC selection seems to be heavily British/Aussie ship focused. I would not go on any of these long cruises without a trial run.The choices for us N. Americans are scant.Do you wish to dress formally and eat British food? Tried Cunard once, not for me. I decided on Oceanias Insignia for 72 days. Cruised O twice. Doing Shanghai-LA .Food, ports worked best for me.Small, a classy version of Ocean/Pacific Princess. All are the old R ships They can get into ports the big ships cannot.. More dining choices and very casual No formal nights..But more money.My ideal line would be Celebrity Maybe some day. .Most of current WCs offer segments. I didnt want India,Africa etc. And I didnt want over 100Ns. so these Tropical segments allow me to visit Asia,Australia/NZ, Polynesia,HA and more.One long plane ride.

I see you cruise RCL, HAL. The WC selection seems to be heavily British/Aussie ship focused. I would not go on any of these long cruises without a trial run.The choices for us N. Americans are scant.Do you wish to dress formally and eat British food? Tried Cunard once, not for me. I decided on Oceanias Insignia for 72 days. Cruised O twice. Doing Shanghai-LA .Food, ports worked best for me.Small, a classy version of Ocean/Pacific Princess. All are the old R ships They can get into ports the big ships cannot.. More dining choices and very casual No formal nights..But more money.My ideal line would be Celebrity Maybe some day. .Most of current WCs offer segments. I didnt want India,Africa etc. And I didnt want over 100Ns. so these Tropical segments allow me to visit Asia,Australia/NZ, Polynesia,HA and more.One long plane ride.

Sailed Celebrity several times and I agree....wish they would consider a world cruise but for now, the choices are narrowed to Princess, HAL, and Cunard...I have similiar concerns regarding Cunard yet the itinerary is appealing..

• 5 months later...
What about medications. I know we can usually get a three month scrip, but how do you get a four month. Will pharmacies oversea honor our perscriptions?

Many insurance companies will allow a 'vacation override' for an additional 3 months supply. We also refill our prescriptions as soon as we can (often at 70 days on a 90 day script) so we have a buffer to cover the extra month away but it takes about 1 year for this. Our mail order pharmacy will also ship overseas - for a huge price. In some countries, some meds are available over the counter but may not be exactly the same....