What to do in Mare, New Caledonia

We have not been to Mare, New Caledonia before.

What is there not to miss in Mare??

Is there any good swimming / snorkelling spots??

Any info would be great! As this is our first time to Mare :).

I was not overly impressed with Mare, certainly not my favourite island. It is too big to get around easily but too small to have a lot of facilities. It is also a typical New Caledonian island in that it does not have the 'tropical island' feel, in my opinion anyway.

I understand there is snorkelling where you get off the ship but it is rocky ledges all the way to the water. I was on Holland America and they didn't have any tours of the island and I didn't notice any tours on shore. We basically had to purchase our bus tickets to their 'best beach' prior to leaving the ship because they were not being sold on land.

Once we got off we were directed to the shuttle buses, on the way to the Shuttle there were a few stalls but nothing interesting and while we didn't walk around the township it didn't appear to have anything of interest for tourists.

It was about a half hour bus ride to the beach which was set up for tourism that day, again nothing outstanding about it. The beach itself was quite ordinary and while we had fun snorkelling the rip was quite strong and you had to be careful.

I don't want to sound negative, we had a great day, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and sitting in my home city at the start of Winter it would be lovely to be there. Just don't have great expectations of it and enjoy it for what it is.

Someone else may have more detail on the island about some interesting spots or your ship may do some tours but another person at my work took a Carnival cruise to this island and agreed with my observations.

I was not overly impressed with Mare, certainly not my favourite island. It is too big to get around easily but too small to have a lot of facilities. It is also a typical New Caledonian island in that it does not have the 'tropical island' feel, in my opinion anyway.

I understand there is snorkelling where you get off the ship but it is rocky ledges all the way to the water. I was on Holland America and they didn't have any tours of the island and I didn't notice any tours on shore. We basically had to purchase our bus tickets to their 'best beach' prior to leaving the ship because they were not being sold on land.

Once we got off we were directed to the shuttle buses, on the way to the Shuttle there were a few stalls but nothing interesting and while we didn't walk around the township it didn't appear to have anything of interest for tourists.

It was about a half hour bus ride to the beach which was set up for tourism that day, again nothing outstanding about it. The beach itself was quite ordinary and while we had fun snorkelling the rip was quite strong and you had to be careful.

I don't want to sound negative, we had a great day, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and sitting in my home city at the start of Winter it would be lovely to be there. Just don't have great expectations of it and enjoy it for what it is.

Someone else may have more detail on the island about some interesting spots or your ship may do some tours but another person at my work took a Carnival cruise to this island and agreed with my observations.

They musn't have taken you to the same beach that Carnival took us too, because the beach we went to on Carnival Spirit was absolutely breathtaking, looked very tropical with the whitest sand, clearest waters and palm tree fringed. The snorkelling at his beach was sensational, hundred times better than what's on offer at Lifou (for a cost).

Mare is my favourite port in the South Pacific (it would be a tie with Mystery Island)

It's absolutely essential that you buy the ticket to the beach though, because where you get off the tender at Mare.... there is nothing. Well worth the $20 to visit Paradise!!

We took the bus to Yegele Beach.

It was a fantastic place. Beautiful water, good snorkelling, white sand, plenty of shade. Fresh water showers, local food stalls. The locals have music playing.

We didnt want to leave. So much so we went back a second time eight weeks later.

Its amazing how people can find the same place so different, I suppose it all depends on the day. It was Yedjele Beach that we went to as well, though it was overcast and the beach was covered in Pumice, so it didn't look white, sandy and turquoise to us. Also I suppose I am a little fussy with snorkelling, I couldn't actually say any snorkelling was really really good in the South Pacific, that doesn't mean I didn't have fun and enjoy it, it just doesn't blow your mind as some of the snorkelling I have done on the GBR.

I think if you are prepared that not everywhere in the South Pacific looks like the picture postcards you will be delightfully surprised and enjoy yourself. There were quite a few Americans on board my cruise and quite a lot of them could not understand why the South Pacific did not look like the postcards, setting themselves up with unrealistic expectations.

My favourite South Pacific spots are Dravuni and Mystery Island, I must admit when the sun was shining they did look like picture postcards.

We have not been to Mare, New Caledonia before.

What is there not to miss in Mare??

Is there any good swimming / snorkelling spots??

Any info would be great! As this is our first time to Mare :).

I was a little disappointed with Mare'. Yedjele Beach was beautiful with clear and colourful water.

We walked to the end of the beach because the music was so loud, it was not far enough!! I love to hear the surf and birds, all the natural sounds that make a South Pacific beach so special.

Where we were the sand was mostly covered with coral, still looked great, just had to pick your steps.

I didn't find the snorkelling as good as other Islands but I was probably in the wrong place.

I prefer the Islands where you can enjoy the views and swimming without having to travel by bus. However what spoilt the day for us was the very loud music, playing for a lot of the time Céline Dion, not that I don't like her singing, but it was out of place on the beach and impossible to escape, island music at a much lower volume would have been better.

Edited by sun-set

• 3 years later...

When we visited earlier this year (and we're back there in six weeks), we didn't go to the beach. We heard that the beach is great but over-run by ship passengers. So, after a brief look through the market, we headed left (the opposite direction to the beach). The ships map of the island showed a "market" some distance from the dock. We thought a nice market, away from the majority of passengers would be great - likely one set up mainly for locals and so authentic. We walked almost 6km and found it to be a SUPER market - a tin shed with various groceries! Quite funny to find what we'd walked all that way for!

However, it was well worth the walk. For much of the way, you get glimpses of the water on your left and a limestone cliff edge on your right and lush greenery everywhere. We had to give way to an angry crab crossing the road at one point. And there's a number of tiny, isolated beaches set between boulders - a perfect place for a quiet swim or lounge on the sand.

The market had very inexpensive ice creams, so we bought one each and a couple of snacks and began our walk back. We didn't get far when some local boys driving a tray-back ute stopped and signaled us to hop on the back, which we did. We offered the driver some money for his effort but he refused.

Next time, we're juggling between a shorter version of the same walk to enjoy the beaches, or to walk to the right instead. Around 2.5km to the right is the Natural Aquarium. You can't swim or snorkel there but you can look down into clear water teaming with fish and occasionally turtles and eels.

Interesting to read different comments on the same beaches at Mare. I haven't been to New Caledonia, but have found South Pacific islands, which I have visited, are best enjoyed at a leisurely pace, preferably on a land holiday. Then, indeed, you do find the South Pacific paradise.

I don't go for the beaches, as Queensland is blessed with beautiful beaches and islands, plus the Great Barrier Reef. I go for the people, local culture, music and dance.

I noticed a strong current in the lagoon at Yejele Beach when we were there a couple of years ago. It was a nice beach though, and the snorkelling was reasonable.

They seemed to have every available vehicle shuttling passengers to and from the beach. Avoid the school bus if you can, very uncomfortable!

I enjoyed Yejela Beach. I don't think it's as beautiful as Isle of Pines (my favourite) but on the day I was there I could get in the water at the right hand end of the beach and the current pulled me all along to the left end so it was the most effortless snorkelling ever. I didn't notice any lobsters but might be more attentive to that when I go next week! I think it is worth the small charge for a day out.

• 2 weeks later...

The areas on the Pacific Islands that the cruise ships go to can be vastly different , even on the same Island , they are what they are.

Mare is lush and green with some nice beaches dotted along a rocky coastline

What to do on Mare if you are lucky enough to get there in the prevailing weather conditions as it is a tender port.

Save some XPF coins or notes and give to dancers at wharf

take some school books and pencils and leave them at the school near the wharf

get your passport stamped for $2.00 not legal but good to keep

visit tiny market near wharf

buy a cold beer at bar near wharf

buy a ticket to beach, but avoid the big buses as they wait till they fill up, a pain on a hot day

the locals transport you to the beach in their own vehicles, brush up on your prayer's !

the beach is crushed coral so wear your reef shoes

at the beach there is a toilet block near where the drop off point is, it was painted yellow I think last time I was there

there are drink and food stalls along the beach

buy a coconut $2.00 Aus

get your hair braided

enjoy a swim in the water, the coral is a bit sparse but water is lovely to swim in on most days, there can be a current, and on rough sea days or windy days the water can be a little milky close to shore

but guess what you have to share the beach with 2 thousand other passengers

but you can swim near the wharf

I was in Mare again last week (second time) and took the bus to the beach and enjoyed it just as much again. The water is SO clear, it's just lovely. It was a bit cold getting in but once we were in I didn't want to get out. They have lifeguards there now, they weren't there last time.

I agree with wastegirl - we didn't like Mare and although Yedjele beach was pretty enough, the snorkeling was only okay. I found the water to be cold and the beach smelly.

When searching for cruises we now skip over those offering Mare, but to each their own.