Christmas markets question

MalibooNewYork

What are they?

I'm a newbie river cruiser and until I joined this forum had never heard of Christmas markets. I gather that they are very popular but don't really know exactly what they are. They must be nice for so many people to want to travel in winter.

Thank you.

Christmas markets are very common in Europe, esp Germany. The involve spiced wine & beer (gluhwein, gluhbier), gingerbread treats, brats cooked outdoors, and stalls of handicrafts (some locally made, others imported cheaply from elsewhere - you can usually tell the difference).

Christmas markets were the only way I was going to get on a river cruise, because I love them!:p There are reviews and photos all over the place, even some youtube videos.

Upside- you get the regular tours of a river cruise with the added bonus of time exploring the local Christmas Markets.

Downside - very little daytime sailing or sightseeting, and the cooler temps/darkness means very few people are sitting on deck watching the sights go by. Though we did:D But then, autumn/winter is our preferred travel time - usually cheaper, and fewer children and crowds in general. We just dress for the weather.

Edited by Hoyaheel

We love the Christmas markets and many of our favorites are those that are not reachable by river cruise. We have been to Europe at least a dozen times for the markets and are headed back this year again.

That being said, if you are not one to DIY and are not comfortable with public transport in a foreign country, a river cruise may be the way to go.

We rarely buy anything but really enjoy the energy, food and drink, entertainment and decorations of the markets. Can't wait to visit again!

Edited by caviargal

Some links I bookmarked last year when I was researching

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2013/05/river-cruise-spotlight-avalons-christmas-markets-cruise-through-germany/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=10&page=1

First in a series of YouTube trip reports: (others in the series will show up in the sidebar on the youtube site)

Food & shopping in a German CHristmas market

Hello MalibooNewYork,

I am surprised that there is no German Christmas market in New York yet! We Germans have exported them to the UK already. Must work on the US-coast promptly to get some established. :D

But seriously Christmas markets are not a new invention, the oldest ones in Germany date back several hundred years. There might be a bit of kitsch and non-German-made stuff around these days but the traditional Christmas markets still sell the old things made to traditional recipes and the handicraft that has not changed for a hundred years.

So, a fantastic experience, and I also recommend like previous posters you have a look at youtube videos.

Christmas markets are still more common in Germany than in any other country, a river cruise that goes through Germany or at least Austria is your best bet. Although Paris is great all year round and they have a Christmas market there, too.

The regions of Alsace and Lorraine in France have traditional Christmas markets, Alsace i.e. Strassbourg is on the popular route Basel - Amsterdam, but Lorraine you can normally not enjoy on a river cruise itinerary.

I personally love Metz in Lorraine and the small markets on the Rhine and Moselle.

One downside is the sometimes abysmal weather involving rain, rain, rain, wind, sleet and snow dirty from car tyres. Cold fingers, too. :( But seeing the Christmas markets is worth it.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

The sights, sounds and smells that bring you back to being a child at Christmas. Probably one of my favorite things about living in Germany was Christmas. Not a fan of cold but the markets are just amazing. I still have my ceramic mugs from my first Christmas Market in Munich in 1989. :) Oh the memories.

Hello MalibooNewYork,

I am surprised that there is no German Christmas market in New York yet! We Germans have exported them to the UK already. Must work on the US-coast promptly to get some established. :D

I know Chicago has them but I have never seen one in NY.

My personal favorites include Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin, Viktualienmarkt in Munich, the weekend markets in St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang (Austria), Hellbrun in Salzburg, Regensburg, and Colmar in Alsace.

Hello MalibooNewYork,

Oops, didn't realize that went through! New York city does have Christmas markets in several neighborhoods. I was in NY a few years ago the first week of December and visited ones in Grand Central, Columbus Circle, Union Square, and Bryant Park. I love the city at Christmas and the markets were very festive. I haven't been to any in Europe, so I can't compare to NYC.

Hello MalibooNewYork,

I guess I was wrong about there being no Christmas markets in New York. But a Christmas market without beer or wine, naaaah, that is certainly not a German one. :D

Having said that, Glühwein is the traditional drink on the markets, a version of mulled wine. As hoyaheel has mentioned - but she wrote Gluhwein, on my German keyboard I have the ü readily available for typing. That drink is quite strong, it may make you rather merry and your feet unsteady if you are not used to it and drink it too fast. ;)

Perhaps you can find out where those markets are, one might be closer to where you live than you think.

But - I have to say this - the markets for me work best with a 17th century half-timbered house or an 18th century palace in the background.

Be aware that the markets get very crowded when the locals come to the markets after work, but the atmosphere is nicest in the dark. Most open after the last Sunday in November (because of religious traditions) although in recent years some have opened a few days before. They then close for that said Sunday to reopen on the Monday. Small towns often have markets just from Friday to Sunday.

Most markets end on 23rd December. In larger towns a few stay open until the end of the year or latest 6 January (Epiphany).

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

Ah yes- that is another downside of the Christmas Markets river cruise - you are not able to go to most markets after dark, due to the sailing schedules. That was the case on our cruise, at least (Avalon, Nuremberg to Basel). We arrived in Germany early so were able to go to the Nuremberg markets after dark before our cruise started, and saw Basel on our own because we stayed there one night after disembarking - I would have been a little bummed had we not been able to do that because during the cruise there was only one night (that I can recall right now) where we were in port late, and it was a port where you could not walk into town (and actually I think we in a town without a market that day anyway and had been bused to another town).

If you aren't planning on doing pre or post cruise stays on your own, and seeing the markets at night is important to you, make sure you read the itinerary carefully and see if it mentions being in port late enough to do so.

Ah yes- that is another downside of the Christmas Markets river cruise - you are not able to go to most markets after dark, due to the sailing schedules..

And that is one big reason I prefer a DIY land trip, along with the ability to visit many more markets out of the main tourist zones.

And that is one big reason I prefer a DIY land trip, along with the ability to visit many more markets out of the main tourist zones.

Yeah - if you remember any of my posts in 2013 and early 2014, or my review after my trip, the river cruise was NOT my choice, but my husband, his parents & my parents all wanted to do it so I went along because it was a family thing. River cruising is not my cup of tea. Fabulous trip, just not my thing.

I *love* markets (at any time of the year) so I'll pretty much always agree if you let me go to the markets. It's more fun when I can buy local produce etc and cook in my rental apartment, though:D

Yeah - if you remember any of my posts in 2013 and early 2014, or my review after my trip, the river cruise was NOT my choice, but my husband, his parents & my parents all wanted to do it so I went along because it was a family thing. River cruising is not my cup of tea. Fabulous trip, just not my thing.

I *love* markets (at any time of the year) so I'll pretty much always agree if you let me go to the markets. It's more fun when I can buy local produce etc and cook in my rental apartment, though:D

I do remember :).

We have rented apartments in Europe and enjoyed having a frig and space to socialize over wine and appetizers. Local shopping is a highlight!

Hello MalibooNewYork,

I guess I was wrong about there being no Christmas markets in New York. But a Christmas market without beer or wine, naaaah, that is certainly not a German one. :D

Having said that, Glühwein is the traditional drink on the markets, a version of mulled wine. As hoyaheel has mentioned - but she wrote Gluhwein, on my German keyboard I have the ü readily available for typing. That drink is quite strong, it may make you rather merry and your feet unsteady if you are not used to it and drink it too fast. ;)

Perhaps you can find out where those markets are, one might be closer to where you live than you think.

But - I have to say this - the markets for me work best with a 17th century half-timbered house or an 18th century palace in the background.

Be aware that the markets get very crowded when the locals come to the markets after work, but the atmosphere is nicest in the dark. Most open after the last Sunday in November (because of religious traditions) although in recent years some have opened a few days before. They then close for that said Sunday to reopen on the Monday. Small towns often have markets just from Friday to Sunday.

Most markets end on 23rd December. In larger towns a few stay open until the end of the year or latest 6 January (Epiphany).

notamermaid

Fuggettabout New York! Hop on the train for Philadelphia's Christmas Village! Gluehwein? Yep we got it.

Nov 21st - Dec 27th 2015

Love Park (JFK Plaza)

1500 Arch Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102

Sun. - Thur. 11am - 7pm

Fri. - Sat. 11am - 8pm

Holiday Hours

Free Admission!

http://www.philachristmas.com/23-0-Vendors.html

Heck, I'll show you the sights. From Pat's or Geno's for cheesesteak to a trip to Muenchen at Brauhaus Schmitz or Brussels at Monk's Cafe. Heck, you can even ride a trolley up Germantown Avenue.

Liberty Bell included at no extra charge.

Hello CPT Trips,

those people in Philadelphia have certainly put a lot of thought into this! They sell all the traditional stuff, have a stall of the Käthe Wohlfahrt enterprise and a young lady doing an impression (I mean that in a postive way) of the Nürnberger Christkindl (an "angel" that opens the Christmas market in Nuremberg). The stalls and how they are decorated looks similar to local ones around here, too.

I am impressed. :)

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
When do these European Christmas markets start? Don't want to plan a trip and miss out because some are not open yet.

If you Google "Christmas Markets in Europe" you can get a schedule of when each country opens their markets.

But "typically" late November. We quite often travel to Europe over American thanksgiving and usually find them open. For those trips, the markets are a bonus - but absolutely check each port/ town for its dates. Even in our river cruise, we missed at least one - only open on weekends and we were there midweek. Ah well.

When do these European Christmas markets start? Don't want to plan a trip and miss out because some are not open yet.

Here is the go to site for the German Markets -http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

Our Viking Heart of Germany cruise last December is on our all time list of favorite vacations.

Enjoy,

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

My DH cannot take vacation in October, November, or December:mad: and hoped to take a river cruise in January and still see the Christmas Markets. I have seen a few that are still open until the first week of January but not many.

I wondered if any of you have taken a river cruise in January and your experience with the markets being open? Please tell me I don't have to wait until retirement to do this DREAM cruise!