Elderly friendly Excursion

angel24_ga

I am taking my grandmother on a cruise in Jan. It will be me (37), husband(40), son (8), aunt (49), and grandmother (76)

My grandmother has traveling on her bucket list so I am trying to make this happen for her this year. We are doing a short cruise to Cozumel.

She is 76 and healthy. Her only issue is she can't walk for long distances and has bad knees.

What excursion would you recommend that is elderly friendly? I really would like to do Discovery Cove but I don't know if it would be ok for her.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When I have taken my mother on cruises I hand her the responsibility of selecting the excursions. It is our treat to her so she gets the planning.

Uhhhh.... you might want to set a budget, mom once left me quite a bill

Hmm an interesting question as I just came from Cozumel. Now the port dock is fairly spread out so if you go to use ground transportation its several blocks of walking to get back to the taxi stand. Check with your ship and see if you can get a wheelchair for her if she will use it and consider taking it on shore. There are a lot of beaches where, once you arrive and get situated would be easy and relaxing. Carlos N Charlie's has a pay as you go style beach with chairs, umbrellas right next to the water so you pay for drinks or food. There are 2 day resorts that have both swim up style pools as well as the beach but they are all inclusive: Mr Sanchos is around $55-$60 per person all you can eat & drink for the day & they have covered trails until you have to walk across sand to sit at a table or to pick out a beach chair. Iebostar had similiar set up for $67 per person not sure if Discovery Cove will work. Again keep in mind you walk off the ship up the concrete pier, go through the customs guys and that puts you at the front of the shopping plaza. If you are doing an excursion they will meet you but its walking through that shopping area to the back to ground transportation that might be an issue so if you can wheel chair might be useful. Most times from there they drop off right at an entrance but have never done Discovery Cove so no idea there on amount of walking. Carlos and Charlie's would be fairly easy has wheel chair access, covered gazebo and pay as you go while still at the beach so it might be a good option. My singles group did a beach group day there and its usually pretty spread out, crystal clear water and decent service.