Cozumel scuba

B-Diddy

Hi, we're both considered beginner divers and I'm wondering if there are good reef options that are not walls with no bottom in sight. We're both a bit intimidated by the thought of a "black abyss" below in a potentially high current. Not sure drift diving is a great option for our inexperience. Are there any other good options?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hi, we're both considered beginner divers and I'm wondering if there are good reef options that are not walls with no bottom in sight. We're both a bit intimidated by the thought of a "black abyss" below in a potentially high current. Not sure drift diving is a great option for our inexperience. Are there any other good options?

I strongly recommend Aldora (http://www.aldoradivers.com). Let them know when you book that you are newer divers, and be as up-front with them about your concerns as you have here. They run no more than 6 divers on a boat, and will work to put you in a group with similar experience and similar expectations.

Drift diving is not near so daunting as it sounds. In fact, if there's much current, drift diving is FAR more pleasant. You simply float in the current, rather than ever having to fight it. The biggest error I see divers make drift diving is that they still try to fight it. If you can get your buoyancy dialed in, and then (literally) go with the flow, you'll have a great dive.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks Harris! I spent a good bit of time researching Cozumel diving after posting here and came to the same sort of thought process. Other then resort diving and my certification this will be my second dive with the first being in Roatan on the same trip. Can't wait for it! Just a bit nervous about potentially no boat above and no bottom below +/- 3000'. 😁

Well, drift dives tend to be above a specific bottom, that's generally fairly moderate in depth; while wall dives may sometimes have the appearance of no bottom (and certainly nothing besides a good dive plan to prevent a diver from going too deep). However, when you're actually diving a wall, it's not as if you feel like you're going to somehow sink down there. You've got what you're there to see at your level.

As with many things about diving the key is to get out there and do it, again with a dive plan, and on a boat with a DM for the first number of dives, and you'll find many things you were worried about turn out not to be issues. Of course there maybe things you hadn't considered that pop up as their own concerns. :)

Harris

Denver, CO

If you book through your cruise ship, you will be going with a dive op that is used to beginners. They will take you to reefs that a calmer and easier, for that reason.

Cozumel diving is the BEST in Caribbean, IMHO. Big fish, small fish, colorful reefs, dramatic reefs, swim-throughs.... Cozumel has it all. Don't skip diving there because you are afraid of drift diving. The constant current movement is why the reefs are so beautiful and fishlife is so robust.

I have tons of underwater videos of diving, mostly Cozumel, here: https://vimeo.com/user466791/albums

robin

Although the drift diving at Cozumel is as safe as any other area where drift diving is prevalent, awareness of potential problems should be addressed. New divers may not have great buoyancy control - that is an issue with drift diving. New divers aren't, for the most part, experienced in diving in a current - that is an issue. New divers aren't, for the most part, adept at deploying an SMB when needed - that is an issue. Many new divers aren't prepared for the varying currents speeds that may occur on opposite sides of coral heads - that's an issue. Many new divers have trouble staying with their dive buddy - that is an issue with drift diving. Many new divers aren't used to diving with a crowd of divers, or even a couple of crowds of divers mingling on a reef - that is an issue. I don't mean to scarify - I agree with the folks above regarding the wall-diving aspects of drift diving and the level of experience ship dive excursions are geared towards. I enjoy the diving at Coz - I'm headed there in two weeks for another three weeks of diving. I say all of this because I've seen all this while diving in Coz. To some degree the way you get experience with drift diving is to do it but tell the DM what experience you have, learn from whatever mistakes you make, stick close to an experienced dive buddy (or the DM), work on your buoyancy control, don't fight the current, watch your air - and have a great dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So while I have the attention of some experienced Caribbean divers how long is the average boat ride to get to the dive sites in Belize? Right now we are stopping in Roatan Belize and Cozumel 3 days in a row and had planned to dive Roatan and Cozumel and take the Belize day off to stay on the ship while everybody else is gone.

So while I have the attention of some experienced Caribbean divers how long is the average boat ride to get to the dive sites in Belize? Right now we are stopping in Roatan Belize and Cozumel 3 days in a row and had planned to dive Roatan and Cozumel and take the Belize day off to stay on the ship while everybody else is gone.

Belize is a bit of a trek, since the ship anchors about a 20 minute tender ride for the port. Then, the popular dive sites are right back the other way. It used to be that the ships all contracted with Hugh Parkey's for the dive excursions, and so - if you went with the ship's excursion - the dive boat picked you p at the ship, saving time. Alas, Hugh Parkey's apparently no longer is providing the service, and I've not heard of a replacement yet.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks Harris. I think we're going to stick with Roatan and Cozumel as our two dive days. Oh the pain! Lol. Can't wait. For a mid February dive is a 3mil suit OK?

3 mm is way more than enough. Your water temps will be about 81/82 degrees. I never use any wetsuit in the Caribbean.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 1 month later...
Thanks Harris. I think we're going to stick with Roatan and Cozumel as our two dive days. Oh the pain! Lol. Can't wait. For a mid February dive is a 3mil suit OK?/QUOTE]

Most divers use only shorties in the Caribbean. I agree with most of the other comments offered. I believe the most important thing is to be honest with the DM about your level of comfort and experience. Certified DM's in the Caribbean are used to diving with beginners and will not put you in an uncomfortable situation. Go for it and have fun.

Scott & Karen

• 2 months later...

Once again thanks to those who replied to this thread. The diving in Cozumel was incredible. We saw a 4-5' shark, large ray, eel and a sea turtle on our first dive! The current was strong but fun and the visibility was basically unlimited. We ended up with 8 on a boat with 2 groups of 4 divers per dive master which was nice. We did end up with 3mil shorty suits which was perfect. My wife was extremely cold in Roatan but it was cloudy and windy. The water temps were around 78 and around 81 ambient. I simply can't wait to go back.

Once again thanks to those who replied to this thread. The diving in Cozumel was incredible. We saw a 4-5' shark, large ray, eel and a sea turtle on our first dive! The current was strong but fun and the visibility was basically unlimited. We ended up with 8 on a boat with 2 groups of 4 divers per dive master which was nice. We did end up with 3mil shorty suits which was perfect. My wife was extremely cold in Roatan but it was cloudy and windy. The water temps were around 78 and around 81 ambient. I simply can't wait to go back.

Glad you had a great time.

Who did you dive with at both ports?

Glad you had a great time.

Who did you dive with at both ports?

Sand dollar in Cozumel and their store is right at the head of the pier and Anthony's Key in Roatan. They picked us up at the dock for a 3 min ride to their dock where we transferred to the dive boat. Both great places with Sand Dollar maybe having slightly newer gear but only slightly.

Sand dollar in Cozumel and their store is right at the head of the pier and Anthony's Key in Roatan. They picked us up at the dock for a 3 min ride to their dock where we transferred to the dive boat. Both great places with Sand Dollar maybe having slightly newer gear but only slightly.

Good to know that the ship scuba excursions were good. We have only done the ship excursion at Grand Cayman and thought it was okay, not bad but not perfect. We are booked for cruise hitting Roatan and Coz later this summer, and DH wants to dive Roatan with AKR. We have been on 2 land vacations there, staying at CCV resort on southside of island, diving that side and it is fantastic. AKR is on north side of island, so he wants to check it out since everyone tells us it is very different. We also want to see if a land vacation to AKR is worthwhile in the future.

In this case the ship excursions were either cheaper or the same price as comparable private shops. The high end dive shops seemed to rather not book cruise ship patrons as well. We tried Paradise and Adora in Cozumel 6 months in advance and they were already full. I'd book with Anthony's or Dollar any time. Keep in mind I'm also a beginner diver so what do I know!! 😁

• 3 months later...