shipboard credit on Viking--how to use it?

recyclelady

I'm not new to Viking, but I am new to the concept of shipboard credit on Viking. We don't drink and I know there are no Bingo games to buy into! Am I able to use shipboard credit for the crew tips at the end of the cruise?

Hello!

I'm fairly certain that shipboard credit can only be used for drinks, optional excursions and for items in the small shop onboard.

Jeff

I had the same question. On ocean cruises we could use it for excursions, spa and photos. Last year on the last night of the cruise I went in and bought a watch. However, here I think the previous poster has it correct. Not much for a non drinker, especially since drinks are included with meals.

That's what we do on ocean cruises. We were able to get prepaid gratuities on Viking.

I was on a Viking river cruise in August 2016 and had shipboard credit. I was not able to use it for gratuities. I could have prepaid gratuities if I'd wanted, but that is different from shipboard credit.

Good info...we are new to Viking RIver cruise.

We have just booked the Douro River cruise July 29 - Aug. 8ths....

Any information or any tips about Viking would really be appreciated.

We were on the Viking Douro cruise last year and had to pay gratuities in cash - something about how the staff is taxed on tips. Luckily we had extra Euros, a lot of our fellow passengers had to visit an ATM at our last shore excursion.

I was on a Viking river cruise in August 2016 and had shipboard credit. I was not able to use it for gratuities. I could have prepaid gratuities if I'd wanted, but that is different from shipboard credit.

Were you able to use it for anything but excursions, drinks or laundry?

We were on the Viking Douro cruise last year and had to pay gratuities in cash - something about how the staff is taxed on tips. Luckily we had extra Euros, a lot of our fellow passengers had to visit an ATM at our last shore excursion.

What itinerary were you on? We are on a Rhine cruise in Oct and I can't find anything about paying gratuities in cash.

I thought we could just add them to our shipboard account and pay with credit card.

What itinerary were you on? We are on a Rhine cruise in Oct and I can't find anything about paying gratuities in cash.

I thought we could just add them to our shipboard account and pay with credit card.

Yes you can - I believe cash tips are only required on the Portugal Douro River cruises. We have been on other Viking cruises (Seine and Rhine) and were able to pay gratuities with our credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

We used shipboard credit for the occasional cocktail in the lounge and all of our optional excursions. Additionally, we were able to purchase discounted vouchers for future travel ($100 for a $200 vouchers). We asked, but were told that shipboard credit cannot be used for crew tips!

• 2 months later...
We were able to use ours for gratuities.

Did you use your onboard credit for gratuities on a Viking Ocean Cruise?

I know that we were not able to use our onboard credit on a Viking River cruise for gratuities.

Did you use your onboard credit for gratuities on a Viking Ocean Cruise?

I know that we were not able to use our onboard credit on a Viking River cruise for gratuities.

OBC cannot be used toward gratuities on ocean cruises, either.