Midnatsol and Cabin Type

mannicruise

Who can give feedback about inside cabins of Midnatsol for Antarctic trip. My wife is really afraid of being prisoned and getting no awareness about sunrise for more than 2 weeks.

Is another cabin really "mandatory" for the travel of the life..., maybe yes???

Each feedback highly welcome

We were on the Midnatsol for the 12 day coastal voyage in Dec/Jan a few years ago. We were a group of six people in four different cabins. My adult daughter and I each had an inside cabin, and we were very happy with our choice (the others had outside, all on deck 4). I just looked at the deck plan, and believe we werein cabins 457 and 453. The open space on the map between outside cabins 461 and 459 was what we endearingly called our "living room". The "living room" has floor to ceiling windows and a few upholstered chairs. We'd sit in the chairs, read a book, talk, use the internet, or just relax. On other cruise ships I've stayed in all kinds of cabins from outside to suite. This was my first time in an inside cabin and I had no problems (I was concerned about not being able to see outside). I was generally in the cabin only to sleep, and if I did anything in the room, I kept the door open. There was very little traffic in our "living room" area, so it seemed like our own private space. I never felt trapped or closed in, either. The main difference I find is when I'm in an inside cabin, I'm out on deck a lot. When I stay in a suite, I tend to stay in my room more. Especially for Antarctica, you'll save a lot of money being in an inside cabin.

Who can give feedback about inside cabins of Midnatsol for Antarctic trip. My wife is really afraid of being prisoned and getting no awareness about sunrise for more than 2 weeks.

Is another cabin really "mandatory" for the travel of the life..., maybe yes???

Each feedback highly welcome

If your wife is "really afraid" of feeling imprisoned, then I think you have your answer right there.

Obviously, one HUGE difference is that she wouldn't be "locked in"!

But if she is truly concerned/upset with the feeling of being "enclosed in a small, dark space", then... at least get the smallest/least expensive cabin with a porthole, even if it's one of those that "look out on" a deck where others can be seen walking.

Your wife would have a sense of "day and night", plus hopefully not feel somehow trapped.

I'm assuming here that it is the utter darkness/lack of any windows that is her concern, and not just the very small size of a tiny cabin.

On some cruise ships, there is a closed circuit TV showing the bridge cam, so one can "see" what the Captain is seeing. However, I don't know if Hurtigruten has that in each cabin.

Better safe than sorry.

For an Antarctic cruise, she'll be "in" that cabin during a trip where you won't be able to leave the ship early and fly home (or do something else) if she *really* can't stand it.

Emotions can be strong, and are not always rational.

And if this is to be the "trip of a lifetime", I'd suggest doing it right, given her concerns.

(How much is the difference, for what is probably already a relatively expensive trip?)

Good luck!