electric scooter round Rome

Chez2

Hi I am asking on behalf of a friend who is going on the independence of the seas in a few months. She has a scooter but I am unsure how easy it will be to get round Rome on it. The paths are very narrow in places & very uneven as I remember. Will she be able to go round the Vatican etc. I was there in august, obviously it was very busy everywhere. They are going at the end of July, Will it be as busy as July.

Did you find a taxi easy enough that could take the scooter, last time we just got on one of those mini busses at the port entrance that are touting for your business as you walk past them out of the port. It was 30 euros.

Thanks for your help.

What kind of a scooter does she have? Will her scooter come apart or fold? Can she walk and manage a step up or down from a sidewalk if needed? Having these answers would help with a better response. That said, I did an independent excursion in Rome (I do that in most cities) so I could e-mail the various providers with a description of my "issues" and they could respond if they could meet my needs. I was will pleased with "Rome in Limo". Yes, July will be very busy.

The Vatican is very easy to get around with a scooter. They show you the correct routes.

We spent 2 days in Rome in February 2013. We found a reasonable priced hotel near the main train station, which is a good central location. The streets were not filled with tourist in February. There had been alot of improvements in regards to access to limited sidewalks. Regardless, please do not count on being able to scoot everywhere. Being off season, one hoho bus would allow both of us on at the same time. They basically have only space for one wheelchair, but the two small scooters could squeeze in.

We were able to scoot all the way back from the Vatican to our hotel and see additional sights along the way. There were a few areas where we did have to ride in the street but still able to stay out of traffic. The other full day we scooted from our hotel to the Trevi Fountain and all the sights in and around that area.

Being near the train station, we had pre-booked our train trip to Civitavecchia for the morning of the cruise. Then took the shuttlebus to the ship.

Having been in Rome many years ago during tourist season, I would be hesitant about attempting to scoot around town during July. It was challenging enough without the mobs. Late October should not be a problem. I definitely would not recommend scooting around Rome alone anytime.

I do extensive research and use Google map street views to check out many of the streets. I was able to predetermine some routes that would not be feasible for us to attempt. There are definitely some areas we avoided.

Back in 2001, while I was still playing able bodied, I took the train to and from Rome. Looking at current schedules, taking the train should allow approximately six hours in Rome. But, getting to theVatican could be a problem. The hoho buses do have a stop near the train station, thus if the space were available, it would be an easy trip. That is a big if and would not want to gamble on it. There were a number of people on the train that walked to the Vatican from the train station. I had been there years before, thus only walked to the Fountain and did a little shopping. NOTE: When we took the trains, we booked in advance through their Sala Blu. I would highly recommend contacting them for current information and possible advance tickets.

I did check the ship's itinerary. Barcelona will be easy. She can get just about everywhere using the metro or buses or a combination there of. And the sidewalks are accessible.

Have awonderful cruise,

Betty

Thanks for your info, very helpful. I am not sure what scooter she has, but she does have a hoist in the back of her car to get back in the boot area, so i think it is pretty small. Good info on Rome Betty. Thanks for that. erffe

Hope you have a good time in october professor EFFE

:-)

One of the worst things about getting around Rome on wheels is the infamous San Pietro (St. Peter) stone streets and plazas. Any sort of narrow wheel gets caught way too easily in the cracks between stones. Typically not an issue for scooter main wheels but the front wheel is often smaller and could be vulnerable. Lack of curb cuts often means hunting for driveways and thus traveling in the streets (San Pietro stone again) part of the time.

Thanks for your info, very helpful. I am not sure what scooter she has, but she does have a hoist in the back of her car to get back in the boot area, so i think it is pretty small. Good info on Rome Betty. Thanks for that. erffe

Hope you have a good time in october professor EFFE

:-)

I use a scooter and traveled around Rome and the Vatican 4 years ago. I found this site to be especially helpful.

• 1 month later...

I just spent a total of 3 days in Rome, I use a TravelScoot scooter. I found Rome to be pretty good, most of the Main roads did have cut-outs, the side streets did not. We were able to scoot from our hotel, next to the Opera house, to most of the major sites. We did take a cab to, and from the Vatican.

We also did a golf cart tour of Rome @ Night, which was a lot of fun, I took my Walker instead of the scooter. I did have a small problem with some of the hills, but my wife pushed me and we made it all over Rome.

Overall a better trip then I thought.