Port Miami Terminal J?

SeaQue

Does anyone have insight about Terminal J at Port Miami? Supposedly Regent Seven Seas Explorer will be at Terminal J; but Oceana Insignia and Oceana Riviera both depart from Port Miami on January 3 also; all 3 ships within an hour of each other. Do passengers for all 3 ships utilize Terminal J... at the same time?

I was on the March 6th Explorer cruise out of Miami and we left from Terminal J even though our final documentation said we'd be leaving from Terminal B. It turned out that Oceania Riviera left from Terminal B. I suspect you will leave out of Terminal J as it's the nicest of the ports and the Explorer is the nicest of the ships. I don't know what terminal the Insignia will used. Port Authority can make last-minute terminal changes so pay attention to the overhead marquees when you first enter the port.

Does anyone have insight about Terminal J at Port Miami? Supposedly Regent Seven Seas Explorer will be at Terminal J; but Oceana Insignia and Oceana Riviera both depart from Port Miami on January 3 also; all 3 ships within an hour of each other. Do passengers for all 3 ships utilize Terminal J... at the same time?

As another has commented, Terminal J is the nicest, newest terminal in Miami. It can only handle one ship. We departed Miami in March on Explorer which had originally been scheduled to use Pier 59 (a RORO pier used when the port is full), with a "tent" for check-in. A few weeks out this was changed to Terminal J and the Oceania Riviera was at Pier 59. So, given that they are both NCL "family" ships, I'm guessing that someone made the decision that the "world's most luxurious cruise ship" would get the best berth. Hopefully, this will also be the case for you.

BTW, Riviera was also heading to Bermuda as were we. She left before the Explorer so I was surprised the next day when she came up on us from astern and passed us (slowly, perhaps 2 knots faster than us) and was in Bermuda ahead of us. No idea how she ended up behind us at the start.

Thanks for the replies! Surprisingly, there are no mega ships in port on 1/3/18 so hopefully no one will need to use the tent (wow, that's crazy!) I didn't realize Oceana & Regent are related; I knew Norwegian Cruise Line is related; makes sense... I have so many questions; dunno why I started with the port! I guess I move along chronologically!

Thanks for the replies! Surprisingly, there are no mega ships in port on 1/3/18 so hopefully no one will need to use the tent (wow, that's crazy!) I didn't realize Oceana & Regent are related; I knew Norwegian Cruise Line is related; makes sense... I have so many questions; dunno why I started with the port! I guess I move along chronologically!

Oceania's parent company acquired Regent prior to NCL acquiring both companies about 2 1/2 years ago. Fortunately they each have their own CEO and President even though they do share many services. Obviously, Regent is their luxury brand, Oceania is upper premium and NCL is mainstream. It gives passengers a choice of cruise lines while staying in the same "family".

Don't worry about questions - you will likely have many between now and when you sail.

• 3 weeks later...

As to Terminal J: Two recent experiences. All positive. (With a caveat.)

First was on Explorer--March 26th embarkation via Barcelona; to Venice incident to Regent's 25th Anniversary. So, just the departure. No issues. Clean and cool. Plenty of staff. And, we were at Regent's pre-cruise hotel.

Second was on Navigator--May 23rd embarkation on a 25-day cruise to the Amazon River, then return to Miami on June 17th, also at Terminal J. Again, the departure was without incident. Of course, Regent handled all details from boarding the bus at a nearby hotel to the pier.

Now--as to return to Terminal J on June 17th. Regent really needs to get its act together. Debarkation has been problematical, as numerous other Cruise Critic members have opined. We docked at 0700H, as scheduled. My wife and I were classified as "independent travelers" as we arranged our own air return from Miami to Seattle. So, be ready to debark at 0830H. That was our assigned time.

There is an old Army saying: if you are on time, you are late. Therefore, we were ready to debark at 0800H. Everyone waited--for the first opportunity to leave the ship, which did not take place until 0945H. Way, way LATE. This was a real issue for folks trying to make departure flights from nearby airports. Reason given by Regent: no one can leave the ship until all bags are in the Terminal.

So--a mass rush when finally released into the Terminal. Once there--porters were readily available to assist in getting luggage onto carts and moved to waiting areas immediately outside the Terminal to busses, taxis, limos, whatever. Also, there was a dispatcher who coordinated taxi service.

Thus, although way-late leaving the ship, my wife and I were directed to a taxi. That driver was totally professional, and provided good service to Miami Airport. Once there, he facilitated getting an attendant to reload our significant baggage inside, and checked in. We were able to make the first leg of the return flight to Seattle--with 15 minutes to spare.

The above are our experiences.

GOARMY!

Although the TS is embarking in Miami, disembarkation is another story and it isn't positive. Disembarking in Miami can be a nightmare for many reasons. For anyone disembarking in Miami, I would suggest not booking a flight until after 12:00 p.m. as you will likely not get off of the ship until after 9:00 a.m. (due to the fact that no one can get off of the ship until100% of luggage is offloaded by union dock workers which is like watching cartoon characters trying to do a job).

Terminal J can only be used by one ship at a time.

Usually the smallest of the ships in port use it.

In the scheme of things having used the port many times it's not a big deal whether or not you are in Terminal J.

Although the experience boarding and disembarking the port can vary (by the way we have found the same to be the case in other USA ports and with respect to our Canadian friends if you have three ships in Vancouver our experience has been worse there) for those staying in Miami pre or post cruise we find the city very cosmopolitan and enjoyable.

As others have said on occasion there can be last minute changes at the port. When you arrive it is very easy to see where each ship is.

Keith

We have had a half dozen Regent cruises embark and disembark from Miami, and all have used Terminal J. We have never had an issue disembarking - the process has always gone very smoothly for us.

Kent

We have had a half dozen Regent cruises embark and disembark from Miami, and all have used Terminal J. We have never had an issue disembarking - the process has always gone very smoothly for us.

Kent

All lI can do is relate our experiences - one on Oceania and other times on Regent. The last time we were concerned about our 11:20 a.m. flight (later changed to 11:10 a.m.) so I asked posters on CC if they thought that we could make it. 100% of posters said that we could not (many live in Florida and are very familiar with the port).

Once onboard, we spoke with the G.M. and he thought that we could make it but needed to be in the front of the line of passengers disembarking. Another couple (with an earlier flight) was with us and we had front row views of the process of getting luggage off of the ship. Someone (could be more than one person) got the luggage and put it on a cart. Then they waited until a small vehicle came to move the "load" to the entrance of the building and left it there. After another wait (sometimes quite long) another small vehicle arrived and drove the luggage about 20 feet and left it there. After another wait the luggage was taken out of our sight.

The other couple (with a 9:30 a.m. flight) missed it. Since the ship was arriving at 6:00 a.m., some people think that it is reasonable to assume that they could make an early flight. They (and we) did not know that the workers do not start until 7:00 a.m. (you can not pay the company for them to start earlier). It is rare for anyone to get off of the ship before 9:00 a.m.

I understand that the taxi line is typically very long. Since we were in front of the line, from the time we got off of the ship at 9:10 a.m., went through immigration and got a taxi, we arrived at the airport at 9:35 a.m. The lines at MIA are quite long but since we booked our own First Class flights (many other flew coach since that is what Regent offers within the U.S.), we got through the lines in plenty of time to make our flight.

So, while other people's experiences may differ, IMO, it is important to know what can happen (I understand that this is typical of U.S. ports which makes me happy that we typically disembark out of the country.

So, if one has independent travel arrangements and a close flight time, may they simply not put out their bags the night before and just roll them off the ship in the morning? With this same scenario, do you have to wait to leave the ship once it is docked?

So, if one has independent travel arrangements and a close flight time, may they simply not put out their bags the night before and just roll them off the ship in the morning? With this same scenario, do you have to wait to leave the ship once it is docked?

You not only have to wait until the ship is docked but must wait until ALL luggage is taken off of the ship. We also had independent travel arrangements and were told that we may as well put our luggage out the night before because it would not make any difference (note: while waiting in line for 1 1/2 hours we did not notice anyone with luggage). Once inside the building, it was easy to get our luggage, go through immigration and go to the taxi.

Hope that your flight isn't too early.

May I ask what time your flight is?

Keith

Keith

Greetings from the scene of the crime, Miami. We live on South Beach, but we have to disembark the same way as everyone else. Just a thought. Since we all have keep our carry ons for our sleepwear and other sundries, is it possible to leave the ship early if that is all you have?

On embarkation day on this April's TA from Miami to Barcelona on Explorer, we sat next to a couple in Veranda who were doing the cruise and then traveling around Europe only with their carry ons. The explanation; everything color coordinated, and washable. It must have worked because everyone looked fine on the cruise.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Spacing

To my knowledge no one gets off the ship until all luggage is off. This is what we were told and we didn't see anyone get off of the ship whole we were waiting.

P.S. I can't use only carry on luggage got one night (not bragging, it is embarrassing)

:mad:

Keith

Delta moved our flight up to noon. We have Global Entry and Pre-Check, so once we get to airport it should be fairly easy. Not especially worried, just thought that rolling our own luggage off the ship might buy us some extra time.

This will be brief, as earlier posts have well-rung out all permutations as to Miami's Terminal J.

No--you cannot keep anything more than a carry-on with you to "roll off" as you disembark. Put the luggage in the hallway by 2300H together with everyone else, regardless of individual on-shore transportation arrangements.

Yes--no matter what the disembarkation instructions may state as to the first group "independent travelers" being prepared to leave at 0830H--that is problematical, based on what my wife and I experienced on June 17th. Plan on first exit around 0915-0945H, to be on the safe side as to making an airport connection.

No--there was no paucity of available taxis. There were plenty, and well-coordinated by a uniformed expediter right outside the Terminal. It should be noted that we observed three gargantuan ships at other Terminals. Like, 4,000 to 5,000 passenger ships. So, the general traffic in the Port of Miami area was intense. Getting a cab is one thing; or having your private limo pick you up is the same thing due to reality of clogged exit lanes until out of the immediate area. This must be factored in.

Now--here is one additional aspect to consider, the applicability of which depends on your specific travel itinerary. That is clearing Immigration. In our case, Navigator's return from the Amazon River to Miami included a last-stop at Puerto Rico. That's the USA! Therefore, two days' before arrival at Miami, Navigator visited San Juan. Everyone off the ship, with Passports in hand. Well-handled, and we waited in a clean, air conditioned facility. One-by-one, presented to Immigration, Passport scanned. Then, either return to the ship; or get on a tour bus; or walk-around. Whatever.

Therefore, there was no need to go through any separate Immigration process at Terminal J. This was a time-saver. So--check your specific itinerary, particularly if it is, basically at foreign stops. Hope there is a landing at an American port as the last stop, repeat last stop, before Miami. If so, the Immigration process will be completed before Miami. A time saver.

Bottom line: agree with others (based on our very-recent experience). Do not schedule an outbound flight before noon, to be on the safe side.

Happy sailing.

GOARMY!

I know the original topic was the Terminal J and we are now discussing what time the luggage and passengers get off the ship in MIAMI. Please correct me if I'm incorrect, any comments that are related to all the luggage being off the ship before anyone can actually leave (independent or not) applies to MIAMI and all of the US ports? It doesn't apply to ports in other parts of the world. Thank you.

I can only speak to Miami (does not matter which terminal) but others have indicated that this is the same procedure for all U.S. ports. However, the procedure of off-loading luggage could be more efficient at other ports.

Delta moved our flight up to noon. We have Global Entry and Pre-Check, so once we get to airport it should be fairly easy. Not especially worried, just thought that rolling our own luggage off the ship might buy us some extra time.

Noon will be fine and with Globlal Entry all the better.

The drive over to the airport is relatively short.

No worries.

Keith

TC is right. Other parts of the world are better than Miami. In addition I will be on a cruise where I want to get off one day early. I got permission for this. This is the second time I have obtained this permission. Not US ports though.

This will be brief, as earlier posts have well-rung out all permutations as to Miami's Terminal J.

No--you cannot keep anything more than a carry-on with you to "roll off" as you disembark. Put the luggage in the hallway by 2300H together with everyone else, regardless of individual on-shore transportation arrangements.

Yes--no matter what the disembarkation instructions may state as to the first group "independent travelers" being prepared to leave at 0830H--that is problematical, based on what my wife and I experienced on June 17th. Plan on first exit around 0915-0945H, to be on the safe side as to making an airport connection.

No--there was no paucity of available taxis. There were plenty, and well-coordinated by a uniformed expediter right outside the Terminal. It should be noted that we observed three gargantuan ships at other Terminals. Like, 4,000 to 5,000 passenger ships. So, the general traffic in the Port of Miami area was intense. Getting a cab is one thing; or having your private limo pick you up is the same thing due to reality of clogged exit lanes until out of the immediate area. This must be factored in.

Now--here is one additional aspect to consider, the applicability of which depends on your specific travel itinerary. That is clearing Immigration. In our case, Navigator's return from the Amazon River to Miami included a last-stop at Puerto Rico. That's the USA! Therefore, two days' before arrival at Miami, Navigator visited San Juan. Everyone off the ship, with Passports in hand. Well-handled, and we waited in a clean, air conditioned facility. One-by-one, presented to Immigration, Passport scanned. Then, either return to the ship; or get on a tour bus; or walk-around. Whatever.

Therefore, there was no need to go through any separate Immigration process at Terminal J. This was a time-saver. So--check your specific itinerary, particularly if it is, basically at foreign stops. Hope there is a landing at an American port as the last stop, repeat last stop, before Miami. If so, the Immigration process will be completed before Miami. A time saver.

Bottom line: agree with others (based on our very-recent experience). Do not schedule an outbound flight before noon, to be on the safe side.

Happy sailing.

GOARMY!

We do not put any luggage out the night before, but keep all suitcases with us and do self debarkation in Miami and any other US port.

As others have mentioned, no one can leave the ship until ALL luggage is off loaded and staged in the terminal, whether you are self debarking or not. This is true in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New York, or any other US port. This is the way the Longshoreman's Union wants it to discourage people from carrying their own luggage off and decreasing union jobs.

We just finished a Silversea cruise in Vancouver last week and did self debarkation as usual. However, unlike the US, we did not have to wait for the luggage to be off loaded before leaving the ship - we just walked off when the ship was cleared; before they even started to off load luggage. Much better.