Pacific Eden in Benoa today 5 June

Just noticed after I posted , that the Pacific Eden Facts list , on the side , has a glaring mistake.

Can you pick it ?

I use the site Krooz Cams as it gives a wide selection of all the ships .

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

Mmmmmm she was not the Regal Princess, but the Statendam. Also she usually tenders at Benoa, so not sure they have the correct place. My pictures of the bow are a little different as well, but that may be the lens used. K

Mmmmmm she was not the Regal Princess, but the Statendam. Also she usually tenders at Benoa, so not sure they have the correct place. My pictures of the bow are a little different as well, but that may be the lens used. K

Most ships do tender at Benoa but the smaller ones can get in to the port and dock.

Heres a link to when Crystal Serenity and Silver Whisper ships were there on the same day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321967&highlight=crystal+benoa

Just noticed after I posted , that the Pacific Eden Facts list , on the side , has a glaring mistake.

Can you pick it ?

I use the site Krooz Cams as it gives a wide selection of all the ships .

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

Just goes to show, you cannot believe everything you read and in some cases you need to do a fact check .

Fantastic that P and O decided to spend the money to dock in Benoa and do an overnight there. Last year we were meant to tender and didn't make it as did other Eden cruises. We were there in July.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The reason Pacific Eden & other smaller cruise ships do not always dock in Benoa is because of the tide, along with previous poor hydrographic info - less depth of water than indicated, & swell getting in from the Indian Ocean.

The nonsense put out by some people about costs - is just that - nonsense.

The Indonesians were supposed to be dredging the port - so maybe the stated actual depth in the channel has been increased to make it safe to enter for vessels of Pacific Eden's draught.

I don't think the cost to dock in Benoa would stop a cruise ship from doing so. Tendering is a slow and fairly expensive operation and the cruise line would still have to pay the local port authorities.

Being able to dock in Benoa would be great. We have tendered there several times and it is a slow process even when a local catamaran is used in addition to tenders. On one occasion we had to wait well over an hour to get on a return tender.

• 3 weeks later...
The reason Pacific Eden & other smaller cruise ships do not always dock in Benoa is because of the tide, along with previous poor hydrographic info - less depth of water than indicated, & swell getting in from the Indian Ocean.

The nonsense put out by some people about costs - is just that - nonsense.

The Indonesians were supposed to be dredging the port - so maybe the stated actual depth in the channel has been increased to make it safe to enter for vessels of Pacific Eden's draught.

I am not a sea dog and sorry I speak nonsense but I don't understand why a "larger" ship can get into Benoa but not a "smaller" one. Can you explain?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nearly all smaller cruise ships from Pacific Eden size [HAL S class] to fairly large ones have a similar draft of around 8 metres [correct spelling]. QM2 is around 10.5 metres & is an exception.

If the channel at Benoa Bali has been deepened or at least surveyed to the correct depth on the charts the cruise ships can & will enter IF the tide, swell & forecast weather conditions allow.

Tides go up & down over the day & if low water is around sailing time this would effect decision to go in.

The Captain has the final say. He is the one who takes the can if the ship touches bottom.

The other criteria is overall ships length that maybe too long for the swinging basin off the berth.

All ports have listed restrictions that sometimes do not allow a cruise ship to dock.