Cocktail Sweet & Sour Mixes

I noticed that in all bars on the ship (Voyager) they use Sweet & Sour Mixes for their cocktails instead of fresh lemon or lime juice and simple syrup. I understand that this is a lot easier for the bar tender, but we are talking about a luxury cruise experience here.

Those commercial Mixes are full of chemicals, stabilizers and artificial sweeteners, which add an artificial taste to the cocktail, especially if you are used to fresh lemon and lime juice. I disliked it so much that I picked cocktails that did not use those mixes.

I talked to several bar tenders and the FB Manager. They basically said it is too much work to squeeze fresh juice. One bartender reluctantly tried to muddle some limes. I can't imagine why they cannot squeeze some juice at the beginning of the evening or at least buy prepackaged juices without the chemical additives.

While I do not know the answer, the first thing that comes to mind is the stability of fresh juices without preservatives on a cruise ship. OTOH, they do have fresh orange juice on the pool deck in the morning. I wonder if other luxury cruise lines use fresh lemons and limes in their cocktails. Also, can you imagine how many gallons of juice would need to be squeezed each day to make drinks? I know that when we requested Sangria for a Meet and Greet, they used fresh fruit and had to prepare it at least a day in advance (and this was for only 50 or so passengers). BTW, it was the best Sangria that I have ever tasted!

It is a good point. Perhaps someone that is familiar with storing fresh fruit on a cruise ship will chime in. IMO, having enough fresh juice for 500-700 passengers each day is simply too labor intensive.

I'd also think the number of passengers wanting sour mix in their drinks would be fairly low. I can see Regent relying on premixed sour mix for those who are used to it, but IMO, not having a juicer available for the discriminating passengers who prefer the real thing is an oversight and would be a fairly easy thing to fix.

Honestly, that's why I gave up drinking [fill in the blank] sours - no one used fresh ingredients anywhere anymore. Easier to just get whisky neat. :whiskey-glass:

I'd also think the number of passengers wanting sour mix in their drinks would be fairly low. I can see Regent relying on premixed sour mix for those who are used to it, but IMO, not having a juicer available for the discriminating passengers who prefer the real thing is an oversight and would be a fairly easy thing to fix.

Honestly, that's why I gave up drinking [fill in the blank] sours - no one used fresh ingredients anywhere anymore. Easier to just get whisky neat. :whiskey-glass:

Whiskey is good ... as long as it is Irish:D. Seriously, so many drinks are made with sweet and sour mix (or fresh lemons and limes). You should check out Regent's cocktail menu sometime. We recently stopped using regular mix and are using Trader Joe's - much more natural. Since this is the first time I've seen this brought up on CC so I doubt if it will get attention. While it would be nice for cruise lines to use natural products, it would be costly. After all Sweet and Sour mix isn't the only thing full of chemicals. Look at the ingredients for ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise .... and most condiments. Wine has sulfites and alcohol isn't good for you.

After thinking about this subject, I need a drink:halo:

I HATE sour mix and requested fresh lime, Cointreau (not Triple sec), cranberry and grey goose for my cosmopolitan. No problem adhering to my request! Also, we try to go for drinks when the lounges are less crowded. If they are slammed, I drink champagne or a drink that does not require a mix.

Not wishing to start a stampede here, but when we did the first Explorer TA, we found a bartender who made us fresh Margaritas every day. One of the lovely crew members, volunteered her "Mexican elbow" to use for fresh lime juice. It made all the difference in the world. I actually think there should be one of these in each and every bar on the Mariner. Then if someone requests fresh juice, it's available. Not written in blood, but I'm pretty sure Crystal uses fresh juices. I know they do for their Margaritas......

I don't drink mixed drinks much at all, but never drink ones made with sweet and sour mix. The bartenders on Regent have always been happy to fulfill my requests of how I wanted a drink mixed without using the premixes.

While I do not know the answer, the first thing that comes to mind is the stability of fresh juices without preservatives on a cruise ship. OTOH, they do have fresh orange juice on the pool deck in the morning. I wonder if other luxury cruise lines use fresh lemons and limes in their cocktails.

Seabourn uses fresh lemons and limes in their cocktails.

I know at least one bartender on the Explorer does, because I do not drink pre mix drinks. Gross!

I also will not ask them for the labor intensive drink if they are busy.

I HATE sour mix and requested fresh lime, Cointreau (not Triple sec), cranberry and grey goose for my cosmopolitan. No problem adhering to my request! Also, we try to go for drinks when the lounges are less crowded. If they are slammed, I drink champagne or a drink that does not require a mix.

Funny Forgap, I ordered the same on board for my cosmo. Only fresh limes for me!

Somehow this thread has taken a turn - not a bad one but a turn nevertheless. I believe that almost all of us have had a splash of fresh lemon or lime juice in our drinks. However, we are not ordering a "tall" (16 oz.) cocktail with 12-14 ounces of juice (thinking Long Island Iced Tea, Margaritas, Mexican Butterfly's, Mai Tai's, etc.). I just did a search to learn how many lemons it takes to make a cup of juice. The answer is 4-5.

I'm a lover a margaritas with fresh lemon, lime and a bit of orange. Making a gallon (which doesn't last long) takes a long time - even with a juicer. Regent would likely need several gallons to get them through a busy night (remember that there is more than one bar and at least two of them are open at noon). The bartender certainly could have it made before their shift but would need someone else to do it as bartenders barely have enough time for quick meal and return to their shift.

IMO, there is a huge difference between having drinks made with lemon and/or lime as Regent already does and replacing all of their Sweet and Sour mix with fresh ingredients put together by a crew member. Fortunately, most guests (as indicated above) have the courtesy to not order a labor intensive drink when the lounge is packed! If they have time to make a drink that requires them to do a lot of juicing or muddling, most bartenders are happy to do it.

I am an avid hater of that artificial junk used onboard. However, with the exception of the Explorer TA with Mudhen, we have not been so lucky to get fresh lemons or limes for sours or margaritas. A reasonable alternative on board is to request Rose's lemon or lime essence which is much better than the current offering.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is nice to read that most cruisers do not like the artificial mixes -- and perhaps it will get to someone's attention at Regent. If Seabourn can do it, why not Regents. I left those comments in my cruise review.

In my recent experience on the Voyager, not a single cocktail had a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon, except a slice for decoration. Most cocktails need only half a jigger of lime/lemon juice, so it should not be a huge effort to prepare some fresh juice. I don't think Rose's Lime Juice is much better (The ingredients in the modern USA product, listed in order of concentration are: water, high fructose corn syrup, lime juice concentrate, sodium metabisulfite (preservative #223), natural flavors, Blue 1).

I might have to bring some fresh limes on my next cruise and juice them myself.

On the Crystal Serenity last year I commented to the bartender about the wonderful fresh squeezed juice in all their drinks (so much better than a mix) and she told me there was a man that spent his entire shift each day just squeezing fruit juices!!

On the Crystal Serenity last year I commented to the bartender about the wonderful fresh squeezed juice in all their drinks (so much better than a mix) and she told me there was a man that spent his entire shift each day just squeezing fruit juices!!

Thank you for making my point. It takes one person all day to squeeze fresh juice. And, I have read many Crystal reviews and no one has made a point of how great it is to have fresh squeezed fruit juice. Again, Regent could consider doing that IF there was a real outcry for it.

Thank you for making my point. It takes one person all day to squeeze fresh juice. And, I have read many Crystal reviews and no one has made a point of how great it is to have fresh squeezed fruit juice. Again, Regent could consider doing that IF there was a real outcry for it.

Which, judging by the posts on this thread, there does appear to be.

Hopefully those representatives from Regent reading this Board will take note and act on the constructive feedback, as they normally do.

In my recent experience on the Voyager, not a single cocktail had a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon, except a slice for decoration.

As with most things on Regent, if you ask and it is physically/legally possible then the crew will usually oblige with your request :)

While waiting for corporate answers, listen to flossie's advice in the meantime and simply specify fresh juice.

Which, judging by the posts on this thread, there does appear to be.

Hopefully those representatives from Regent reading this Board will take note and act on the constructive feedback, as they normally do.

Yes - there does appear to be an issue - at least with a handful of people. Keep in mind that you don't have to be a current Regent customer to post on CC. Some posters have not stepped foot on a Regent ship which dilutes the number of people that have an issue. I strongly feel that onboard comments and filling out comment cards is the way to go if you want Regent to really "hear" you. This isn't to say that Regent doesn't pay attention to this board - they do - particularly if they can answer a question or if something is brought up by someone currently on the ship and it can be fixed (hopefully before they disembark).

If you're getting a mixed drink that requires lime or lemon and it's coming out of the dreaded "pre mixed" stuff, I almost always ask for few pieces of fresh lime or lemon. If it's too sweet, it really helps. I just squeze 'em in myself. A tad messy, but saves the drink. I know that this is not a "fix" for the problem, but does help a little.....hey any port in a storm! haha!

I don't think keeping a supply of fresh citrus by the bars is nearly as troublesome as actually juicing the fruit. A commercial quality juicer at each bar would solve that problem nicely.

A good manual model runs about $200, and a commercial power juicer is around $2,800 or so. I figure if you can afford a quarter million bucks for a piano in one suite, a few juicers is petty cash...

I don't think keeping a supply of fresh citrus by the bars is nearly as troublesome as actually juicing the fruit. A commercial quality juicer at each bar would solve that problem nicely.

A good manual model runs about $200, and a commercial power juicer is around $2,800 or so. I figure if you can afford a quarter million bucks for a piano in one suite, a few juicers is petty cash...

+1

I am surprised more guests don't go down with scurvy, with this reported serious lack of fresh citrus juice ;) :rolleyes: :D

I believe that noise would be a factor (unless they juiced it in the back). I know that when the bartenders have to use the blender, they apologize because no one can be heard while the machine is on (they do make quieter blenders but Regent does not have them and slushy drinks aren't popular anymore). Drinks with juice OTOH would require keeping the machine on quite a bit and still is time consuming (as my DH learned when he stood in line every morning to get a freshly squeezed juice drink). It just does not seem practical and, if it were easy, they would serve fresh squeezed orange juice in all of the dining venues.

Don't get me wrong ..... I think it would be great to have fresh juice. Only Regent knows how many passengers request fresh juice in their drinks and whether it is doable.

For goodness sake, juice behind the scenes each day, keep it in the bar fridge, use it on demand. Do you honestly think the chef would use fake ingredients in the food that is served in Regent's restaurants? The passengers wouldn't stand for it. Our palates are getting more sophisticated in both food and drink. Quality is important. If land based bars can produce fresh, inventive cocktails, so can Regent. As Nike says, "Just Do It!"