Mobility Issues at Half Moon Cay

Traveling with a friend who can't walk far at all, and will have a rented motorized scooter for our cruise. I understand that we can rent a beach wheelchair from the Shore Excursions desk for Half Moon Cay. Anyone know if they meet you at the tender with the chair? We are guessing she won't be able to take her scooter on the tender.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tackled this already at HMC.

We are guessing she won't be able to take her scooter on the tender.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tackled this already at HMC.

If there is only one ship at HMC that day, you will use the island's tenders, which can accommodate a scooter. You board on the upper level, then use the ramp at the aft of the tender (the one used by the stewards to roll the food carts down to the lower level.

You exit from the lower level to a hard surface walkway. Reverse the process to return to the ship.

There are paved walks through the entrance area (where a few vendors are set up). The scooter can also get to the first cabana, where there is a direct entrance. That is the only cabana with a direct entrance, however. All the rest necessitate walking on the beach, and using the stairs up to the porch. That first cabana also has the porch and stairs on the beach side.

My experience at HMC is that the beach wheelchair cannot be rented, but is used by HMC staff.

Thanks for that info, Ruth.Because of mobility issues, I've been choosing to stay on board at HMC. I don't like riding along the walkways and getting the scooter wheels full of sand. I actually enjoy having the ship to myself.

Thanks for that info, Ruth.Because of mobility issues, I've been choosing to stay on board at HMC. I don't like riding along the walkways and getting the scooter wheels full of sand. I actually enjoy having the ship to myself.

Are you taking a manual wheelchair ? If so just take that to Half Moon Cay and than transfer into beach wheelchair. The cruise line provides it free of charge and security will watch your wheelchair. If there are multiple shipp in port an attendant will drop you off in a location of your choice and will than come back at a time you're requested.

• 3 weeks later...

Even though the tenders can accommodate scooters & wheelchairs, at least some ships won't permit you to take a scooter on them. I had to leave my scooter behind on Elation last November, possibly due to the low, steep ramp, and even though I was told there would be a wheelchair for assistance in getting to the tender and to our cabana (#1 is wheelchair accessible BTW), none was forthcoming, leaving me to limp long the walk from the upper aft of the ship to lower forward, but to the cabana as well.