Where to meet friends in Venice

jeanine

We will be arriving in Venice at 8am depart the next day. Any suggestions as to where to meet friends who will be in Venice that day, they are vacationing on their own.

Depends on where you are docking and where they are staying. Venice is enormous.

Harry's Bar at 8am? We think not :). When we have met folks in Venice we find it easiest to simply meet at a hotel. So why not just head to your friend's hotel...and perhaps join them for some cappuccino before heading out on the town :).

Hank

Harry's Bar at 8am? We think not :). When we have met folks in Venice we find it easiest to simply meet at a hotel. So why not just head to your friend's hotel...and perhaps join them for some cappuccino before heading out on the town :).

Hank

Great suggestion .... keeping things simple usually works best.

The square right in front of St. Marks has worked well for us in the past. Centrally located for all later day exploring. Not knowing where your friends might be staying, why locate and travel to what may be an inconvenient located hotel? Meet at St Marks or in front of the Dogges Palace, then you're ready for action!

Breakfast at Florian's?

Perfect! It opens at 9am.

Agree it's best to meet somewhere you all want to visit rather than wasting time going to a hotel which might not be central.

Love Venice! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to chime in so late. Hopefully not too late!

Why not meet at the Bauer Palazzo (Hotel). It's around the corner from the Bauer Hotel and is right on the water. They have an outside seating area in a lovely part of the Grand Canal and will definitely be open for service at that time. DH and I stopped for a leisurely coffee and an hour or so went by because the setting was so great.

They even have a gondola station right in the little square (San Moise) where you can go for a ride.

It's a 3 minute (or less) walk from St. Marks Square.

Hope this helps.

Perfect! It opens at 9am.

Agree it's best to meet somewhere you all want to visit rather than wasting time going to a hotel which might not be central.

I'm confused why at least two people have proposed AM meet ups. If I've understood the OP correctly, she arrives at 8:00 AM and departs the next day. If so, that leaves the remainder of arrival day to meet up for lunch, or drinks and cicchetti (snacks), or dinner.

Venice is famous for its unusual-to-us seafood. Sharing a heaping platter of mixed fried seafood and drinks sounds like a wonderful way enjoy Venice with friends. I've included two places with a special reputation for fritto misto.

Excellent restaurants for lunch or dinner:

Antiche Carampane, Al Covo, Alle Testiere, or Boccadoro

Cicchetti:

Here's a link to an excellent guide to chicchetti throughout the city, useful because you haven't mentioned where your friends' hotel is located.

https://blog.mrandmrssmith.com/venice-food-guide-best-bacari

Fritto Misto:

Antiche Carampane, Vicio Fritolin, Alla

As much as I love fritto misto, there is a limit how far off the "beaten path" I will go in search of it (Antiche Carampane) :)

Can you recommend a place for fritto misto that is more "centrally" located (we are staying at Westin Europa & Regina)?

TIA

As much as I love fritto misto, there is a limit how far off the "beaten path" I will go in search of it (Antiche Carampane) :)

Can you recommend a place for fritto misto that is more "centrally" located (we are staying at Westin Europa & Regina)?

TIA

The closest fritto misto destination will be Trattoria da Fiori (Warning: There's a very expensive restaurant named Osteria da Fiori; you want the more casual restaurant named Trattoria da Fiori.) It's only an 8 minute walk according to Google Maps.

Another excellent option, ai Promiessi Sposi, is the most distant -- 18 minutes walking -- but stays the San Marco/Cannaregio side of the canal.

If you're willing to use the ferry to cross the Grand Canal Antiche Carampane is 16 minutes away.

The closest fritto misto destination will be Trattoria da Fiori (Warning: There's a very expensive restaurant named Osteria da Fiori; you want the more casual restaurant named Trattoria da Fiori.) It's only an 8 minute walk according to Google Maps.

Another excellent option, ai Promiessi Sposi, is the most distant -- 18 minutes walking -- but stays the San Marco/Cannaregio side of the canal.

If you're willing to use the ferry to cross the Grand Canal Antiche Carampane is 16 minutes away.

Thank you.

Will definitely try at least one of those :)

Thank you.

Will definitely try at least one of those :)

Alle Testiere is my favorite restaurant in Venice. My husband and I believe we shared a plate of fritto misto there on one of our earlier trips to Venice. Unfortunately, a blogger whose word I respect on the topic of Venice restaurants claims Alle Testiere doesn't have Fritto on the menu.

Note: Alle Testiere is a tiny, tiny place even by Venetian standards. There are two timed seatings. If you want to linger and chat with friends, select the later seating. If you choose the earlier seating, management will not only pace the serving of your meal to get you out in time, they'll actively shoo you out if you socialize too long after finishing. Diners put up with this practice because the food is so good.

Alle Testiere is my favorite restaurant in Venice. My husband and I believe we shared a plate of fritto misto there on one of our earlier trips to Venice. Unfortunately, a blogger whose word I respect on the topic of Venice restaurants claims Alle Testiere doesn't have Fritto on the menu.

Note: Alle Testiere is a tiny, tiny place even by Venetian standards. There are two timed seatings. If you want to linger and chat with friends, select the later seating. If you choose the earlier seating, management will not only pace the serving of your meal to get you out in time, they'll actively shoo you out if you socialize too long after finishing. Diners put up with this practice because the food is so good.

Indeed, their "Today's specials" menu (dated Jan 26, 2016 :D) does not show fritto misto. It looks good otherwise.

Thank you.

Sorry about my first post being misunderstood . . . by me. Took that too literally.

Once you get to Venice proper (Venice Island) the Bauer Palazzo is a lovely destination. It really is a lovely setting on the outside terrace on the Grand Canal.

You could even meet in the Giudecca at the the Hilton. We stayed there, as well. The hotel water shuttle was fine. Not touristy and a nice way to spend some time strolling and dining with locals.

Also, (back to Venice Island) if you are intending to meet for dinner, Ristorante Do Forni is somewhat (short but quirky walk . . . welcome to Venice) off of Saint Marks Square and is a lovely restaurant that is frequented by locals. It was very good. Very nice evening spent there.

Hope this helps.