Oceania Barcelona - Miami 2018

Mikeyto

Good Evening,

I am a full-time manual folding wheelchair adult user and I'm considering taking this cruise next year with my parents (60's) for my 40th. I am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me the level of Accessibility in the following ports...

Alicante, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Santa Cruz de La Palma, Spain

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Good Evening,

I am a full-time manual folding wheelchair adult user and I'm considering taking this cruise next year with my parents (60's) for my 40th. I am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me the level of Accessibility in the following ports...

Alicante, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Santa Cruz de La Palma, Spain

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Barcelona is by far the most accessible as it hosted the Paralympic games in 1992 and has been improving since. With that said there's still room for improvement.

Malaga, Spain

• The city’s bus service is adapted with electric ramps and space for wheelchair users.
  • The local train service and both metro lines have wheelchair access to the trains the and the platforms via lifts.
  • The official city taxi service offer a few accessible taxis.
  • Picasso Museum is wheelchair accessible and its interior space is flat.
  • Cathedral of Malaga is wheelchair accessible.
  • Alcazaba of Malaga: The inner enclosure can only be accessed through the Gate of the Granada Quarters which acts as the defense for the western side of the palace. The outer part of the citadel, can be accesses by an elevator.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain;

• Walkways, plazas, open gardens/parks and museums are for the most part accessible
  • City buses and tram are wheelchair accessible.
  • Some tourist buses are wheelchair accessible.

The other towns in the Canary Islands can be difficult for wheelchair users . Organized tours are not all that readily accessible to the disabled.

I will be in Tenerife in September.

Booked a private tour for 3 of us.

Had to send a 99 Euro deposit using pay pal. Will owe 200 in cash at end of tour. I can bring the scooter, so I'm sure you could do the same and bring your wheelchair. I researched it on TripAdvisor.

Also read that there are taxi's at the port for hire, but I wanted to reserve ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what I read about

"Las Palmas - walk into town from the ship, we dock right beside a large shopping centre. Free wi-fi on the upper level at the fast food court area. Also a pharmacy and supermarket in the shopping centre for any emergency bandages or chocolate bars.

This is the port for any beach lovers. Walk through town and head for Playa de las Canteras, a huge stretch of beach with a busy promenade above."

We also stop here on our cruise.

I will probably check out the beach area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In general Spain is very disabled friendly. Barcelona must be one of the most disabled friendly cities in Europe. In many cities they have HOHO buses which are all wheelchair accessible as are public transport buses.

In the Canaries a good option is to hire a car. Car hire and petrol are reasonably priced. CICAR are one of the most reputable companies and have offices in all the port's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums