Cruising the Rhine

Canada 59

Just left Rudesheim heading south to our next port on Avalon Illumination. Water levels are fine so far and weather perfect, sunny in the 20s. Service and food have been great, way more relaxing way to travel, very layed back! Highly recommend it to those who have not Reyes river cruising yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wi do great to receive e mails and go on google but not good to send e mails changed to my g mail and am having better success. Am doing Sound of music tour but next week so you will have to wait in the Main Rhine locks as we speak so they have closed the upper deck due to many low bridges on the Main we pass Frankfurt at 11:00 pm tonight, beautiful evening and another great dinner.

A beautiful day on the Main river with a stop at noon in the town of Miltenberg. Quaint town of 9500 in Bavaria! Did the town tour and had time to shop before we set sail at 3:30 pm. Left 2 guests behind who lost track of time who had to take a taxi a few locks up stream but are back on Board now. Don't think they will be late again! Weather beautiful an another great meal with the local wine. I am absolutely hooked on river cruising!

Is local wine the included wine for dinner, or is it extra? Just curious as I am hearing a lot about the local wines being extra on other lines. Not much info on Avalon, so I am sorry if I am a pest....:)

Did the tour of the Palace in Wurzburg this morning and walked back to the ship and bought some souvenirs. The guide says he likes some of the rooms better than Versailles in Paris. It was beautiful!18f021ab29bfa3b8623c5dfd6169bc6f.jpg2e58ac5d04195b8d390d35ae23a10954.jpg

We were in Bamberg today did a 90 min walking tour of the town and had 2 hour free time to explore and shop on our own. Bought a bratwurst an a slice of delicious Grand Mariner cake very delicious, no wonder Germans love to eat! They brought a female singer on Board from Nuremberg to entertain us this evening. Cruising on the Main canal at present! 2edb8463bff5f4f011d5876dfd0e0457.jpgcb1f467bb1e12a30c746f0bdfd97760a.jpge9fc5abd289150ee29a1e1ba7bc33adf.jpg

Did a morning shopping tour in Nerunberg I think the better choice would have been the rally grounds tour which is also included. They brought a lecturer on Board this afternoon to inform us on the construction and logistics of the canal . Passed the continental divide after lunch the highest point about 1200 asl and all the locks are down hill now. We reach the Danube at mid night on are way 84025cbc6d8eb40dbe4886c6d60936fd.jpgto Regensberg !

Amsterdam to Budapest 15 day in Regensberg today did the morning tour and great shopping in this port. Bought a Cuckoo clock and had it shipped home. Did a two hour bike ride down the Rhine to a golf course along the river, probably my favourite port so far! Relaxing my rump in the lounge drinking afternoon tea and listing to piano music, life is tough[emoji23] On to Passau to morrow and the Sound of music tour!be711b58944ecf67cb5be6aa1b4398c5.jpg606878b250c55476ae6300b3279aeed3.jpg

Can you share the name and/or location of the shop you purchased your Cuckoo clock? Also did you use the ship bikes for your ride or were you on a group excursion? We will be going on Avalon Vienna to Basel in September & it has some of the same towns & tours . Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I am looking forward to your Sound of Music review since we also plan ongoing on that tour.

Edited by land2see
correction

Drubba Clocks and Gifts SeestrBe 37-41,D -79822 Titisse Germany http://www.drubba.com you save the tax if you have it shipped. Yes I used Avalon,s bikes reserved the day before at the desk but only one who went biking that day. Good bikes I did a 32 k ride down the Rhine to a golf course and back 16 each way, beautiful country side, stopes several times on my return to enjoy the river scenery. But a little sore[emoji23]cacc5a291a1afca32e61b89994f7dab4.jpgc65cd9cdc782e9f213ea83d8ad88de8a.jpg

Toured Salzburg yesterday, the 2 hr drive through the country side was beautiful as we traveled mostly country roads. Did an hour and a half tour and then ventured out on my own to the Abby look for Maria but she was not to be found, the view of the alps from there was outstanding! Walked half way up to the castle and took some pictures of the town and then went shopping and had lunch, lots of shops and the town charming! Drove to lake Monsee for a 1 he stope even mr breathtaking than Saltzberg with the mountains in the background! Then an hour drive back to Linz where the ship met us, a tiring day but well worth the optional tour.0f91f3990bd1a27caf0777c4921d90a9.jpg323c60ecfa2179ee588cbc576a97599b.jpgaa953222c05a24daad611db4b480becd.jpg9f1217ec4973da1d0242778b939ee83a.jpg

In the town of Durnstein today. Did the guided tour up the hill to the castle ruins and walked through the quaint town shops an bought some local peach liquor. Rode a bike to the next town down stream just a working town missing the charm of Durnstein! They have brought a lecturer on Board to talk about Vienna where we will be tomorrow . Had a delicious BBQ on the sky deck at lunch, fabulous!97e1b9532b9e36bad6378f920a3d2767.jpg15c33626dba00767c9060569f1132851.jpgc8e90d98affe192bbdc99adf29faa16f.jpg

Visited Vienna yesterday 20 ships in port 100 busses and 1 and a half million people. It was crowded in downtown expensive and hot as hell! Went for a bike ride after lunch down the longest street in Vienna which was tree lined and shaded and the faster you peddled the cooler it got. Some went to the concert hall in the evening and said it was very hot inside as air conditioning could not keep up. It was only 33 c so I won't be returning in August [emoji23]686b816d0d388bd404f06b7d550e1a34.jpg63f852a1892b930ca1f2c196cd3c3e29.jpg88575ee8ef0d7fd13271610d5dceffda.jpg

We were in Bratislava today a little Cooler and a light breeze did the town walking tour from the ship. Much lighter crowds than Vienna and more enjoyable. Did a short bike ride to the mall after lunch which is like any mall in America. Went up the UFO bridge tower next to where we docked took some photos of the skyline and had a cocktail and enjoyed the view. Farewell dinner tonight so as not to rush us tomorrow in Budapest. Those who went to the concert in Vienna last night said it was hot in the theatre! Glad I stayed back at the air conditioned ship!