Budgeting

catsea

Hi all,

I'm trying to set a number to save up for a cruise next year, but I'm not really sure how much to aim for. If you don't eat at the specialty dining options and with the beverage package food and drinks are included in the price as well as most of the tips, so what would not be included that you usually expect to spend money on? I know you should definitely set some aside, but I'm not sure how much. Also, do you usually carry much cash? Are there ATM's and are the fees bad?

Thanks a bunch

- C

If you've got drinks and tips prepaid you really can get away without anything more.

In fact you don't even need drinks if you are happy with coffee, tea, limited juice options, and American Style Lemonade, sometimes iced tea.

We have had a final bill as low as $8, we've also had one in the thousands.

The one proviso I'd add is check what ports your line charges for shuttles.

If you've got drinks and tips prepaid you really can get away without anything more.

In fact you don't even need drinks if you are happy with coffee, tea, limited juice options, and American Style Lemonade, sometimes iced tea.

We have had a final bill as low as $8, we've also had one in the thousands.

The one proviso I'd add is check what ports your line charges for shuttles.

Wow, that's quite a big gap! I am not planning on doing any excursions, but I'm setting aside somewhere around $200 just in case I change my mind. It's only 3 nights and 2 ports so I'm not planning on doing anything on shore. Are all of the expenses mostly in port? Are there any common expenses on board that aren't covered in the price of the ticket?

Hi all,

I'm trying to set a number to save up for a cruise next year, but I'm not really sure how much to aim for. If you don't eat at the specialty dining options and with the beverage package food and drinks are included in the price as well as most of the tips, so what would not be included that you usually expect to spend money on? I know you should definitely set some aside, but I'm not sure how much. Also, do you usually carry much cash? Are there ATM's and are the fees bad?

Thanks a bunch

- C

Not sure where you are coming from. If we limit your question to just while on board, your cash requirement will almost be nil if you don't drink alcoholic drinks. Your daily gratuities can be paid in credit card, and if you do shore excursions. It's really a matter of how you want to enjoy your cruise.

Wow, that's quite a big gap! I am not planning on doing any excursions, but I'm setting aside somewhere around $200 just in case I change my mind. It's only 3 nights and 2 ports so I'm not planning on doing anything on shore. Are all of the expenses mostly in port? Are there any common expenses on board that aren't covered in the price of the ticket?

Drinks

Tips

Specialty Restaurants

Gambling

Shopping

Not sure where you are coming from. If we limit your question to just while on board, your cash requirement will almost be nil if you don't drink alcoholic drinks. Your daily gratuities can be paid in credit card, and if you do shore excursions. It's really a matter of how you want to enjoy your cruise.

I'm referring more to necessary expenses, not add-ons like gambling/shopping/excursion money. Like what kind of expenses are not covered in the price of the room that you should definitely plan on spending? I'm planning on getting the beverage package, so with that and not dining in specialty restaurants, food and drink should be covered. I've read that there is also an 18% charge with that package, so does that cover tips? Who should be tipped that is not covered already and is there anything that you need cash for that cannot be paid for with a card? I've never been on a cruise before where I was in charge of the finances, so I'm trying to figure it all out well in advance as to not be blindsided with unexpected charges.

I'm referring more to necessary expenses, not add-ons like gambling/shopping/excursion money. Like what kind of expenses are not covered in the price of the room that you should definitely plan on spending? I'm planning on getting the beverage package, so with that and not dining in specialty restaurants, food and drink should be covered. I've read that there is also an 18% charge with that package, so does that cover tips? Who should be tipped that is not covered already and is there anything that you need cash for that cannot be paid for with a card? I've never been on a cruise before where I was in charge of the finances, so I'm trying to figure it all out well in advance as to not be blindsided with unexpected charges.

That 18% on top of a drinks oackage will vary by line and location of your cruise.

The $8 was at a time when due to some unexpected events (including our daughter being put on some medication that was costing $1,400 a week) we were broke.

The other end of the scale included some Christmas shopping, some handbags some camera gear and some watches.

The 18% on the beverage package will be built into the cruise fare so you aren't really spending anything for that on board. IF you are looking at an NCL cruise you aren't even signing for drinks.

So you really don't need to spend on anything else, unless you are ordering room service. IF you find a bar tender who is taking care of you a dollar tip for a drink every now and then is appreicated, but you have already covered any gratuity in that original "fee" with the beverage package.

Just an aside, since you are doing a 3 day cruise it will be a party boat rather than a real cruise. Bachelor/Bachelorette parties, and people with a booze cruise mentality.

The 18% on the beverage package will be built into the cruise fare so you aren't really spending anything for that on board. IF you are looking at an NCL cruise you aren't even signing for drinks.

So you really don't need to spend on anything else, unless you are ordering room service. IF you find a bar tender who is taking care of you a dollar tip for a drink every now and then is appreicated, but you have already covered any gratuity in that original "fee" with the beverage package.

Just an aside, since you are doing a 3 day cruise it will be a party boat rather than a real cruise. Bachelor/Bachelorette parties, and people with a booze cruise mentality.

The one I am looking at is NCL. Is room service not included or are you referring to tips? I think I've heard somewhere that room service is not included during regular hours, but I'm not sure how that works.

That's a good point, I'm also pretty sure it coincides with Spring Break. It should be fun to get a feel for cruising before doing anything longer in the future.

There are are kinds of "extras" you could spend money on...and when you're in "vacation mode", you tend to want to buy things you normally wouldn't. Most 1st timers will spend about 1/2 of the cost of the cruise in "miscellaneous" expenses. so be prepared! Excursions are expensive, but, depending on your ports and your RESEARCH, you can find plenty to do without any excursion at all! A guidebook from your library is a fabulous resource!

Don't forget the daily "per person" tips suggested by the cruise line.

Don't forget to budget round trip flight costs If you need to fly into your embarkation port. Also, it is recommended that you arrive at least one-day early so you need to budget your over night hotel stay

Luckily I'll only be about an hour away from the port, so driving is possible. Do you know how much it costs to keep your car parked usually?

The one I am looking at is NCL. Is room service not included or are you referring to tips? I think I've heard somewhere that room service is not included during regular hours, but I'm not sure how that works.

That's a good point, I'm also pretty sure it coincides with Spring Break. It should be fun to get a feel for cruising before doing anything longer in the future.

Room service does incur a $7.95 fee per order EXCEPT for a continental breakfast order until 10 am.

Parking at the port is expensive. In fact, we've found that by staying at a hotel that has a Park 'n Cruise deal, we can stay overnight at a hotel where they offer a free shuttle to the port and they let you leave your car at the hotel, it's cheaper to book the hotel.

Parking at the port is expensive. In fact, we've found that by staying at a hotel that has a Park 'n Cruise deal, we can stay overnight at a hotel where they offer a free shuttle to the port and they let you leave your car at the hotel, it's cheaper to book the hotel.

Is it usually more than $20 per day? If I drop my car off at a friends it would be max $30 each way in a taxi from her place.

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch

- C

Just don't stint on the tips to the staff. Don't economize there.

On NCL the continental breakfast of coffee/tea and pastry is free during breakfast hours before 10:30am. We usually tip a $ or 2.

For other room service there is a $7.95 delivery charge.

The 18% gratuity paid with your final payment is the bartenders' gratuity on your drink package. Onboard, you will will also have a Daily Service Charge added to your onboard account. I think it is currently $13.50 per day per person (passenger). This covers the gratuities for room steward, waiters, and a few others.

Edited by NMLady

You might save money by not purchasing the beverage package, depending on what you like to drink and how much of it. My husband found it cheaper to purchase one specialty coffee per day (this was on Carnival) and skip the soft drinks. The package for alcoholic drinks is priced to make the cruise line money - I think you break even around six drinks per day on Carnival, for example. There will be stores on the ship - I once bought flip flops to wear to the pool. And you might want to buy the photographs they take of you at dinner, at boarding, whenever. And depending on the cruise line there might be an internet or social media package to purchase.

If you use a drink package that's prepaid and order a drink while still at port, you could be charged the sales tax on the drink. But if you're not taking any shore excursions and not eating/drinking beyond the included taxes you can absolutely finish the cruise with no additional charges.

Factors to budget:

*Parking or getting to/from the port (plus any meals you may encounter while traveling, like at an airport)

*Small bills to tip porters at the port

*Your cruise fare + prepaid tips/DSC + 18% gratuity on the included "perks"

*Any pre-cruise prep shopping you decide to do - such as binoculars, new bathing suit, etc.

*Trip insurance (I don't if it's under 4 days and my home port, I add on if the kids are coming or any airfare is required to embark)

You do NOT need cash on the ship at all. There are many Cruise Critic members that will at times tip on top of the prepaid gratuities, but it is not a requirement. You may decide that you've had above and beyond service from a staff member that you'd like to reward with extra tip. You can do this in cash, or through your shipboard account.

If you decide to add on shore excursions, they can be variable in price. Caribbean cruises are easy to find much less expensive third party operators. Alaska excursions are more expensive and the price differential between booking through the cruise and independently is less, although still there.

Something else to consider is communication. Personally I cruise to be "offline" and put my phone in airplane mode and forget it. If, for some reason, you need to be in communication with home, you'll want to research calling cards/prepaid phones/internet packages on the ship.

You might save money by not purchasing the beverage package, depending on what you like to drink and how much of it. My husband found it cheaper to purchase one specialty coffee per day (this was on Carnival) and skip the soft drinks. The package for alcoholic drinks is priced to make the cruise line money - I think you break even around six drinks per day on Carnival, for example. There will be stores on the ship - I once bought flip flops to wear to the pool. And you might want to buy the photographs they take of you at dinner, at boarding, whenever. And depending on the cruise line there might be an internet or social media package to purchase.

NCL has a deal right now where you are able to get the beverage package free for up to 2 of your guests! All you pay is the 18% gratuities which comes out to only $40 or so. I might have to purchase a small amount of internet time just to contact my family, do they sell it in time increments like hotels used to?