Considering Oceania, a few questions please

Marie50

What is included if you do not go with Olife?

Do they offer alcoholic beverage packages?

Can you use the Thalassotherapy pool?

Do they have daily trivia games?

Do you have to pay extra for the cooking classes?

Can you dine in any restaurant without a surcharge?

We enjoy Celebrity, Hal and Princess. How does O compare?

We are mid 60's so will we be comfortable? We do not enjoy a lot of children on the ship.

Thanks for help before we book or not.

Hi Marie 50:

We have been on Celebrity and HAL. There is no comparison when you sail on O. Celebrity and Hal have institutional quality food. They are cooking for huge numbers of people and the ingredients they use in their foods have transfats and are very unhealthy. On Oceania the food is fresh, delicious and cooked for you. We live in downtown Chicago and eat at high end restaurants. On our 21 day cruise from London to Rome last year I can honestly say that I never in my life had food that was that good. Never... and I have dined at Michellin starred restaurants. They use organic french flower, high quality real butter not transfats, fresh seafood, and fresh meats and you can taste the difference. As far as your other questions....We have never paid a surcharge for dining in the specialty restaurants (Polo Grill, Toscana, Red Ginger, Jacques). We have not eaten in La Reserve or Privee so I can't say. We love eating at the Terrace Cafe on the back of the ship. The buffet has dishes from all the specialty restaurants.. when you get in line for your food the staff will carry your plate. You don't have anyone else touching the food only the staff. You point to what you want and they put it on your plate. There is lobster at the Terrace Cafe every night and if you so desire you can have as much lobster as you want. This summer we are doing the same area that we did last year not for the sights but for the cruise experience. The high teas are amazing. Much better than what you will get on HAL or Celebrity but the price point is higher. Oceania does have trivia games, they do have drink packages. You have to pay to use the Thalassotherapy pool (which I don't like) unless you have a concierge balcony or suite. We generally have a balcony and they will charge for the thalassotherapy pool. When we were on Celebrity I loved the thalassotherapy pool but although it said no children there were always children in it and the staff never told them to leave. We are in our late 50's and the beds on O are devine. You will definitely sleep well. The only thing I did not like last summer was on the longer cruises you need to do the life boat drill every I believe it was twice on a 21 day cruise and I like to sleep late. They usually do it in the morning about 10:00 and I did not like having that noise in the cabin in the morning and having to go up on deck. I would rather it was later in the afternoon.

What is included if you do not go with Olife?

Do they offer alcoholic beverage packages?

Can you use the Thalassotherapy pool?

Do they have daily trivia games?

Do you have to pay extra for the cooking classes?

Can you dine in any restaurant without a surcharge?

We enjoy Celebrity, Hal and Princess. How does O compare?

We are mid 60's so will we be comfortable? We do not enjoy a lot of children on the ship.

Thanks for help before we book or not.

If not Olife, all NON Alcoholic beverages are included (specialty coffee, teas, sodas, virgin drinks,), all specialty restaurant reservations, all food except for La Reserve, and Privee, etc.

Yes, they offer alcohol beverage pkg....2 types. One with beverage service with meals only, and one unlimited.

Thalassotherapy Pool is reserved for Concierge class and above ( or pay by day rate, for lesser cabins).

Yes there are Trivia Games onboard.

Yes, you pay for cooking classes ($69 apiece).

Yes, except for the wine pairing dinners at La Reserve and Privee (private dining venue), all restaurants are included.

If you like a slower paced ship, with quieter shipmates, you will like O. Warning, not much entertainment at night, so if you are into late nights with lots of dancing and premier entertainment, O is not for you. If you like pool games, photographers chasing you, loud music, you may not like O. O is quieter, and more subdued than mass market cruises.

You may wish to utilize the search function for some answers to your questions also...there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum.

If not Olife, all NON Alcoholic beverages are included (specialty coffee, teas, sodas, virgin drinks,), all specialty restaurant reservations, all food except for La Reserve, and Privee, etc.

Yes, they offer alcohol beverage pkg....2 types. One with beverage service with meals only, and one unlimited.

Thalassotherapy Pool is reserved for Concierge class and above ( or pay by day rate, for lesser cabins).

Yes there are Trivia Games onboard.

Yes, you pay for cooking classes ($69 apiece).

Yes, except for the wine pairing dinners at La Reserve and Privee (private dining venue), all restaurants are included.

If you like a slower paced ship, with quieter shipmates, you will like O. Warning, not much entertainment at night, so if you are into late nights with lots of dancing and premier entertainment, O is not for you. If you like pool games, photographers chasing you, loud music, you may not like O. O is quieter, and more subdued than mass market cruises.

You may wish to utilize the search function for some answers to your questions also...there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum.

In most cases, the relatively new "cruise only" price equals the O Life price minus the value of the O Life OBC option plus the airfare credit. That said, what you really lose with "cruise only" is the one free unlimited Internet account.

If you will use any one of the O Life included amenities (particularly the included excursions [if you pick those regularly costing more than $100pp] or the basic booze package [which is upgradeable]), O Life is the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to what others provided above:

- You can get the regular price that includes O-Life benefits and decline the included airfare. In that case the regular price is reduced by the airfare credit amount which varies by cruise. Just another option, which is my preferred method. I only mention this, if for some reason you think the only way not to take their air, is to book the Cruise only fare.

- There are not many kids on O cruises. During holiday periods and over summer there may be a few.

- Four awesome benefits of O: 1) no formal nights, 2) no art auctions, 3) as hinted by Flatbush Flyer, no photographers, 4) minimal announcements

- In addition to the included beverages mentioned above all waters; table water, bottled still, sparkling house brand, and also Pellegrino and Perrier are also included.

Unlimited lobster medallions and filet mignon are offered every day at Waves, the snack bar near the pool. So are milkshakes made with homemade ice cream.

The coffee served onboard is illy and the lattes, iced coffee, etc are also included.

When going ashore there is a table that has bottled water for the taking.

Each cabin has a refrigerator that will be stocked with your requested non-alcoholic beverages.

The spa has a complimentary steam room, showers and lockers stocked with ample towels, robes and beverages.

The deserts everywhere are as good as they look.

The beds and bed linens are wonderful.

I was talking to a bartender while he was stocking the shelves and, unsolicited, he said to me "this is a good company, everything is fresh, high quality." I agree with his opinion.

Just want to add that this line is very low key, and we do like river cruises too, which are similar in "personality." However, after our first O experience last month, we discovered many O enthusiasts , food and wine lovers, who just love the line, but we were not converted!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also like suites on Hal, Celebrity and Princess. We found we like the festivity, the decor, the consistent crew training, the presence of the officers, and the enthusiasm on board those lines, which we have sailed since 1992. I like our collection of embarkation photos too! But, you need to try- might be just what you are looking for, or, the itinerary that you've sought.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

INSIDERS CABIN thanks for reminding me about the photos

That is one thing I love about Oceania

Not to have to stop every time you board or get off in port for those stupid photos with pirates or people in dumb costumes

so glad we have choices

Just want to add that this line is very low key, and we do like river cruises too, which are similar in "personality." However, after our first O experience last month, we discovered many O enthusiasts , food and wine lovers, who just love the line, but we were not converted!

It's not a requirement that you be converted. I can't think of ANYTHING that suits everybody,

Mura

Unlimited lobster medallions and filet mignon are offered every day at Waves, the snack bar near the pool. So are milkshakes made with homemade ice cream.

The coffee served onboard is illy and the lattes, iced coffee, etc are also included.

When going ashore there is a table that has bottled water for the taking.

Each cabin has a refrigerator that will be stocked with your requested non-alcoholic beverages.

The spa has a complimentary steam room, showers and lockers stocked with ample towels, robes and beverages.

The deserts everywhere are as good as they look.

The beds and bed linens are wonderful.

I was talking to a bartender while he was stocking the shelves and, unsolicited, he said to me "this is a good company, everything is fresh, high quality." I agree with his opinion.

Oh my goodness, that all sounds so-o-o good! Can't wait for my first O cruise in December. :)

I agree with insiders cabin. Completed my first Oceania cruise last month and it did not live up to the expectations I had from what I read on these boards. Had booked two others before I sailed the first and my husband said maybe I should wait since I might not like it. Never thought he'd be right.

I agree with insiders cabin. Completed my first Oceania cruise last month and it did not live up to the expectations I had from what I read on these boards. Had booked two others before I sailed the first and my husband said maybe I should wait since I might not like it. Never thought he'd be right.

Just out of curiosity and perhaps for benefit of future Oceania's "newbies", what was so disappointing for you on Oceania - what did not live up to your expectations?

Which cruise line fits your needs better than Oceania and why?

TIA

While the food in the specialty restaurants was good I felt the food in the main dining room was not.Also, choices at buffet for breakfast and lunch were poor.i have been on Azamara and they do a better job at those meals.While I looked forward to the surf and turf sandwich the lobster was overlooked each time I had it. On a positive note their French fries are very good and service was wonderful.

While the food in the specialty restaurants was good I felt the food in the main dining room was not.Also, choices at buffet for breakfast and lunch were poor.i have been on Azamara and they do a better job at those meals.While I looked forward to the surf and turf sandwich the lobster was overlooked each time I had it. On a positive note their French fries are very good and service was wonderful.

Thank you. Sorry that you were disappointed - maybe give them another try (or not).

To Stipmom, post #19

When discussing the surf and turf you said "...the lobster was overcooked each time I had it."

When I dine at Waves, I tell the order taker how I like the meat or seafood cooked and they usually get it right (with seafood, they may error toward overcooked, for health reasons, unless you make things clear).

We took our first O cruise on the Riveria in late January. We were blown away by the food in the specialty restaurants. The MDR however was like all other mainstream lines like Celebrity. (luckily we ate in the Specialty Rests 8 of 10 nights).

For us, the entertainment was boring, the drink package no way worth the money, and the buffet confusing and crowded. Waves was a better bet than the buffet.

Having said all that, and contrary to my review when we returned from our January cruise, we will not rule out a return visit. Our expectations will be lower and probably we wouldn't spring for a suite again or the overpriced drink package.

OP, I am 64 and was well below the average age on our cruise.

Edited by Oville