Trays in buffet restaurants

starbug

Hi,

I've heard a rumour that there are no longer trays availbale to put your plate of food, side dish, drinks glass/cup/mug etc. on as you go around helping yourself to bring back to the table.

Is there anyone that can check if this is the case on each of the Queens please?

Thanks.

Why? What is their reasoning behind this?

A response to previous customer complaints or observations that the buffet lines were slow moving.

No trays means no lingering, once your single plate is full you are forced to move on.

M-AR

Not having trays also cuts down on wasted food. People tend to pile on more than they can really consume when it's easy to put it on a tray. Having to carry a single plate means going back to the buffet if one chooses to eat more. Often, when the first plateful of food has been consumed, the desire for more has waned. It makes sense, even if it's kind of a pain to balance a plate and a glass at the same time.

One of the things I have disliked most about being on the mass market cruises is the absolute gluttony often seen in the buffets. I've seen incidents where one might think the passenger in the buffet line had never seen food before. And to observe half of it left behind at the table is disheartening.

There are dozens of cruise lines today where trays are not available in the self service buffet area. Seabourn, Holland & America, Oceania, Celebrity just to name a few. Cunard have been lagging behind, removing them slowly ship by ship over the last eighteen months or so.

As others have commented, it really is an improvement in reducing the lingers and others who run around like headless chickens looking for more food items to pile up on their trays.

Table settings ( Lido/Kings Court) now include fine linen & cutlery and a coffee mug. Hot beverage service is offered table side at various peek times during the day and evenings.

Evening 'Self Service' is more of an elegant affair ( QM2) in addition to the linen & cutlery, each table is now prepared with a Place Mat and Tee light.

Oh just great, that's just doubled my trips back and forth for me and my wife who's a wheelchair user..[emoji35]...

There are also more waiters on duty to assist with getting beverages. I'm sure they will also assist passengers in compromised situations such as your wife's.

I have seen this on other Cruise Lines but I have also seen where some passenger's brought their own tray. In all reality, they surely would not forbid you from using your own tray if you have one after all some people bring their own coffee mug. Not having trays makes it harder for solo cruiser's, If they wish to get up for more food as soon as they leave their seat someone jumps in it. Myself, I have learned to always leave something at the table so it is clear that someone is already sitting there.

Not having trays makes it harder for solo cruiser's, If they wish to get up for more food as soon as they leave their seat someone jumps in it.

Then that is a problem for the cruise line to solve. If I was in that situation I would ask a member of staff to assist.

If they declined to assist what must be an obvious problem, a complaint should be made.

There are also more waiters on duty to assist with getting beverages. I'm sure they will also assist passengers in compromised situations such as your wife's.

I'm sure they would, but I usually put a tray on the wife's lap push her around to see the selection etc once the tray is loaded with her goods than I go back and get my stuff, but without a tray it's one item at a time...I'm sure they have some trays for this situation..? Other than that the wife will have to start practicing her juggling. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:mad:

Hi,

I've heard a rumour that there are no longer trays availbale to put your plate of food, side dish, drinks glass/cup/mug etc. on as you go around helping yourself to bring back to the table.

Is there anyone that can check if this is the case on each of the Queens please?

Thanks.

We are on the Q.V. At the moment very true no sign of a tray,:mad: on the way to Madeira a lady we sat with at breakfast said she would buy a tray in Madeira. We think food portions are down, getting curries and rice on the menu now,

people we have spoken with think the food down on previous cruises:mad:winter gardens been improved,

round the pool at the back of the ship no sun beds available until you pass the swimming pool, now before the sun beds are settees many are occupied by people asleep full length,:rolleyes:the lido furnishings just the same, the serving area been replaced looks good, chart room gone, the walk down the corridor to the restaurant looks good also. New captain from P. & O. Ex Cunard Andrew Hall a nice person,:Dto us the things that never change are the staff they are always willing to help if possible, entertainment the Singers and Dancers have been worked very very hard they have only missed 4 night, artist have been on one night only. Some of the ports we called at we left very late up to 11 00pm. Final comment for now, they have changed the CRISPS they are Brill loads better than the old greasy ones.:mad:

There are dozens of cruise lines today where trays are not available in the self service buffet area. Seabourn, Holland & America, Oceania, Celebrity just to name a few. Cunard have been lagging behind, removing them slowly ship by ship over the last eighteen months or so.

As others have commented, it really is an improvement in reducing the lingers and others who run around like headless chickens looking for more food items to pile up on their trays.

Table settings ( Lido/Kings Court) now include fine linen & cutlery and a coffee mug. Hot beverage service is offered table side at various peek times during the day and evenings.

Evening 'Self Service' is more of an elegant affair ( QM2) in addition to the linen & cutlery, each table is now prepared with a Place Mat and Tee light.

Hi Bell Boy. On my QM2 trip last Nov/Dec, I didn't see any fine linen in Kings Court, but I only strolled by on a couple of occasions in the afternoon. Are the KC tables now set with fine linens 24/7? Thanks - S.

I have seen this on other Cruise Lines but I have also seen where some passenger's brought their own tray.

You mean people actually pack a try in their luggage ? Seriously ?

It sounds like Alan Partridge bringing his own bigger plate for a Travel Tavern breakfast.

You mean people actually pack a try in their luggage ? Seriously ?

It sounds like Alan Partridge bringing his own bigger plate for a Travel Tavern breakfast.

Haha :)

Hi Bell Boy. On my QM2 trip last Nov/Dec, I didn't see any fine linen in Kings Court, but I only strolled by on a couple of occasions in the afternoon. Are the KC tables now set with fine linens 24/7? Thanks - S.

Correction ,when referring to linen I guess I should have said rolled 'Linen Napkins' with the cutlery inside. ( as we have often seen before)

Yes all the tables are prepared this way 24/7, including the new tables aft deck 9 (Q. Victoria.)

I have found in HAL on last 2 crises that the wait staff was more than helpful when asked to assist getting food to the table... I would often get my food for my self and drinks for parter and I, and steward more than happy to help carry them.

I agree that lines are faster and less food wastage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found in HAL on last 2 crises that the wait staff was more than helpful when asked to assist getting food to the table... I would often get my food for my self and drinks for parter and I, and steward more than happy to help carry them.

I agree that lines are faster and less food wastage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know, we are doing HAL next year but got a few Cunard before that so will be well drilled by then..

P&O put napkins and cutlery on buffet tables at dinner..

If you need assistance with carrying food the waiters are only too happy to oblige. On our last trip we saw plenty of waiters helping people. Actually they went above and beyond in one case: we were sitting within almost reaching point of the beverage station when a waiter overheard my DD saying she wanted a refill. He insisted on getting it for her despite her protestations and delivered it to the table with a lovely smile.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies, as least we now know for certain before we get on board and won't be looking and thinking they are somewhere.

I just hope that they still have cookies (albeit behind the counter so you have to ask for them).

Not having trays also cuts down on wasted food. People tend to pile on more than they can really consume when it's easy to put it on a tray. Having to carry a single plate means going back to the buffet if one chooses to eat more. Often, when the first plateful of food has been consumed, the desire for more has waned. It makes sense, even if it's kind of a pain to balance a plate and a glass at the same time.

One of the things I have disliked most about being on the mass market cruises is the absolute gluttony often seen in the buffets. I've seen incidents where one might think the passenger in the buffet line had never seen food before. And to observe half of it left behind at the table is disheartening.

Perhaps another consideration would be that for some passengers, using a tray allows them transport their food to the table. Not everyone has the same functionality. "Kind of a pain to balance a plate and a glass at the same time" - that tells me you have no idea what kind of a pain it can be. Hopefully, you will never know. Happy sails. -S.

After sailing with Cunard (back when there were trays), I thought the lack of trays would be a real bother on my first HAL cruise. Turns out it was no big deal. I cruise solo and always have a book with me. I would save my place with the book and get a main course and salad. If I wanted something else I would put down my book again and go get it. Stewards were more than glad to help carry things if needed. I am sure it is the same on Cunard.

My experience from last year on QV is, that everyone who needs help, gets help.

I was a QG guest, but one morning I overslept and therefore had to go to the Lido for breakfast. I am disabled and have problems with walking. As soon as I appeared at the Lido, the "boss" there sent someone to me who had to carry everything for me, search a nice place to sit, and guide me there. I really appreciated that fantastic, thoughtful service, especially that I did not even had to ask for it.It is so much nicer to get help offered than have to plead for it. I surely could have managed somehow alone, but it was so much easier like this!

Therefore, I am very positive that everbody who needs help with carrying their food without tray will also get it. Even with a smile.