What to bring off ship when at Port and on Excursions?

Beckbry0916

What to bring off ship when at Port and on Excursions? We will be cruising May 2018 on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean and have never been on a cruise. Do we need to bring our passports when we are visiting a port? I'm just worried if we are all snorkeling do I just leave my bag on the boat? What if we're just swimming on the beach? Also how should we dress? Just go in bathing suit and bring a change of clothes or cover up or? Thanks! :D

In addition to easy boy's list, I'll add sunscreen!

And yes, if you will be swimming, wear your bathing suit, but please also wear a cover up when you are off the beach or boat. Your valuables will be fine if left on the snorkeling boat while you're in the water. For the beach, if no one is staying behind who can watch them, there are waterproof cases that can contain your ID, credit card and cash. Stow this in a bathing suit pocket (men) or use a lanyard. Otherwise leave your valuables on the ship.

Sunscreen, bottled water to keep hydrated

no need for passports just be sure to be back to the ship on time usually 30 -45 mins from sail away time

port agents information in case you need it

you could wear your swimsuit with shorts & top over it then change after swimming bring your under garments :)

I always take my wallet which has my ID and sail and sign card in it as well as my credit cards. I also take my camera. Usually that's it.

No need to lug around towels. If you're in the Caribbean in the summer and go swimming, you'll be dry in 5 minutes once you get out of the water. Put sunscreen on before you get off of the boat so you don't need to carry it around either. I sometimes take my bookbag with me if we're going to be shopping just so I don't have to carry bags. It's easier for me to carry my bookbag.

We always take a smaller thermos of water off the ship. (And I carry it with me when we are on the ship too!

If you are going to a beach or snorkeling do take a towel. We like to dry off and just have them in our beach bag or I've seen back packs too. Which is where we put tops/shorts and stuff when at the beach. Jamaica is the only place we didn't feel right just leaving it on the beach so asked people sitting next to us to keep an eye on it.

I have swim shorts (from LL Bean), that you can't tell is half of a bathing suit, I wear with a tankerini (SP!) top. I used to wear shorts over my bathing suit. My husband wears his bathing suit, which look like shorts, with a top. There aren't really any places you can change out of a bathing suit, often there isn't even a bathroom.

Take a throw away camera with you for photos while you're in the water and just on the beach. We never take my digital if we are going to a beach.

NEVER take your passport off the ship. We have been cruising for more than 30 years and ours are always left in the safe. Stealing passports is VERY profitable for thieves!

Why take your wallet off the ship? Our wallets go in the safe when we get to our cabin until we get off the ship back in home port.Just your sign 'n sail card and driver's license to get back on the ship. We take a small bit of cash and one credit card but we are not shoppers.

We have been on the Glory many times. Make sure you find the Serenity deck which is in front of ship, on the right side above the pool. This is adults only, no kids, no smoking and there is a bar there. All of the chaises, small sofas and chairs have thick pads on them and you can move them to where you want them on the deck.You can get towels here so you don't have to drag them from your cabin.

Watch out, you are about to become hooked on cruising!

Depends what you'll be doing, as to what you bring! If you're doing a beach, only bring a bit of cash, 1 credit card and your ship's card and ID...NOT your passport! All of the above CAN get wet, if you want to put them in a velcro pocket in hubby's trunks! Or, if there are others from the ship, we'll strike up a conversation, and let those folks know we're taking a dip....folks are willing to help watch your stuff for a few minutes!

If you're doing a "non-water" thing, bring what you want...you will keep it with you all the time!

We don't always bring water...depends on the port. Drinks are easy to buy, if you need one!

NEVER take your passport off the ship. We have been cruising for more than 30 years and ours are always left in the safe. Stealing passports is VERY profitable for thieves!

Just wanted to mention that on our upcoming cruise, we are required to take our passports off the ship so that we can return from our excursion:)

What port was this? We have been cruising since 1985, more than 100 cruises, and only once did we have to take our passports with us to get back on the ship. Believe it or not, this was in Key West, FL! I think it was because we were tied up at the Navy Pier. A man checked all when we were still on the 'GOLF' cart being driven back to the ship.

This was back in the days when you had a key to your cabin. Your sign 'n sail card was for bar and gift shop purchases.