Hobart question

Hi to all of you downunder,

I am hoping to get some info about a cruise stop in Hobart.

We really want to see a Tasmanian devil and looked into booking a trip to Bonorong wildlife park. Do we need to do this in advance or would we be able to pick up a tour once we arrive in port? We will be on Ovation of the Seas later this year.

Any other tips on must sees in Hobart would be appreciated too.

Thanks in anticipation,

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi to all of you downunder,

I am hoping to get some info about a cruise stop in Hobart.

We really want to see a Tasmanian devil and looked into booking a trip to Bonorong wildlife park. Do we need to do this in advance or would we be able to pick up a tour once we arrive in port? We will be on Ovation of the Seas later this year.

Any other tips on must sees in Hobart would be appreciated too.

Thanks in anticipation,

Libby

Hi Libby

I was in Hobart earlier this year and there were tours being offered at the port by local operators. I can't tell you what was being offered though, as we had arranged something separately.

I did notice though, that a lot of operators had either sold out all of their availability or had only a few spots left on the various tours - this was around mid morning.

Based on your want to see the Tassie Devil, if I were you, I would arrange something prior to departing on the cruise. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll be able to find a private tour operator offering what you're after, then you can book it in and look forward to it!

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are interested in Antarctica, Hobart has the best Museums - Mawson's Huts Replica Museum on the wharf and top floor of Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, close to the wharf.

Brooke Street floating pier is worth a visit.

Thank you Tazza and MM,

Exactly the answers I was looking for!

Will go ahead and book my tour but leave time to check out the Antarctica displays. When we were in New Zealand a few years ago we went to a small art gallery with a display of photos from Antarctica including photos of Scott's expedition. We live in Plymouth, Devon and we have a Scott memorial monument.

Thanks again. I knew I could rely on CC buddies!

DH and I will be in Hobart in February on the Azamara Journey. I booked two days of excursions with Judy at Eye See Tasmania. You can see my posting if you look at the roll call for the February 8, 2018 sailing.

Hi cruisevirginia,

I have been in touch with a Judy from Eye See, after reading your post a few days ago. I then read that there might be a shuttle running to Bongalong (whatever it is called) park on cruise days. I just wanted to check if anyone had done that as opposed to a pre booked trip.

Thanks MicCanberra, I'm off to check out those websites. I love cruise homework!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello "Tasmanians". I hope that's what they call the people that live there. And not the animals. I was in Hobart almost 40 years ago and I bet it has changed a bit. I will be stopping on a cruise in late November and heard about a "Bruny Island Gourmet Tour". Does anyone have info on this and is it worth it? Thanks.

Howard in Beautiful Ft. Lauderdale

I haven't been on the Gourmet tour but have been to Bruny Island and did the jet boats down to the southern ocean. It was fantastic, I would make sure that you have plenty of time to get back to the ship as it is a bit of a journey and with a ferry ride included.

Hello "Tasmanians". I hope that's what they call the people that live there. And not the animals. I was in Hobart almost 40 years ago and I bet it has changed a bit. I will be stopping on a cruise in late November and heard about a "Bruny Island Gourmet Tour". Does anyone have info on this and is it worth it? Thanks.

Howard in Beautiful Ft. Lauderdale

YesTasmanians, Howard. Hobart is still small and unspoilt so I'm sure you will enjoy your return visit. Bruny Island is known for its food, so Bruny Island Gourmet Tour should be a good way to experience it. The scenery is spectacular also!