Is there still a cruise line that offers a midnight buffet?

ottmar

We did have one on our transatlantic cruise on the Brilliance last fall. Fun to look at except folks were so intent on photographing every single shrimp , piece of carved fruit and dessert that the line to see it was a crawl. Didn't bother to go back at midnight to eat it.

HAL has late night theme snack each night in Lido. by theme,, i t means, one night might be Tex-Mex, Itallian another night, etc.

Edited by sail7seas

Those midnight buffets were over-the-top and very wasteful IMHO.On Princess ships,some part of the buffet area is open late in the evenings.

Also,the International Café ,located on most of the Princess ships ,is open 24-7. This venue serves pasties,sandwiches,light snacks and specialty coffees along with coffee and tea service.

There is always room service if a person is hungry after the food areas on a ship close down for the night.

With the measures taken by most lines to control passing germs (like Norovirus) in buffet the extra staffing for servers to dish up items that late may have become a problem. One thing for a small kitchen staff to set out full buffet items for self-service but now having to "serve" the items for a full buffet requires more people who already have a very long work day. Better small plates of snacks already made.

RCI stopped that some years ago - not economic. A lot of work and food for mostly picture taking and not much consumption. They do still have a late night pool deck party with some food and deserts from time to time. Ditto Celebrity.

I remember some from a very long time ago (Sitmar/Princess). Lots of pictures and almost no one eating. It was beautiful. I mean awesome. It was also a HUGE waste of money. Sad to think all the money and food was wasted. As much as I enjoyed the "get a quick snack" and picture taking, I also realize that it was tons of money being flushed down the toilet.

I remember the one night midnight gala buffet on maiden voyage of MSC Opera.

Barely two hours after (second seating) dinner they had set up a stunning buffet. They had to bolt the doors to protect it from the Italians trying to get to it. I swear the crew had to push the door lock open with a broom stick and then dive for cover. It was like shark feeding! I personally wrangled a knife out of some kids hands who was trying to hack off a piece of a dragon butter sculpture.

If was amazing. Certainly not much food was left at THAT buffet. 😂