Bespoke sandwiches?

3rdGenCunarder

I have a question about lunch at the buffet on QM2. I recall from our Christmas cruise, that I couldn't find a place to get a decent sandwich for lunch. The pizza area had a few premade options, but the times we looked, we didn't care for those. And the main buffet area had a very limited choice for cold cuts that I could use to make my own sandwich. (One morning, I got cold cuts and cheese at breakfast and made our lunch sandwiches then, and stored them in the fridge in our cabin, how sad is that????) I think Kings Court used to have a deli station where you could get a made-to-order sandwich, but I never found it in December. Is that gone now?

Normally, I'd have a large salad for lunch, but the salad bar was pitiful. Early on, QM2 had a great selection of salad options, and large bowls to build your salad in. Now it's skimpy plates and not enough decent stuff to fill them.

We prefer the buffet for lunch because it's quick--or it should be if you can find what you want--and there are so many activities that we don't like to linger over lunch. However, at Christmas we had lunch in the dining room, since we were in PG, and it was possible for DH to request a sandwich there--and it was an escape from the buffet. I never met so many RUDE people as I did at that buffet over Christmas.

I can't remember the sandwiches on QM2, sorry, but on QV there is a sandwich station where you can order many items to have on your sandwich, and they have several kinds of bread, and it can be toasted or not. The sandwiches were delicious and there was always a queue to get them. Hopefully QM2 has made to order sandwiches again. They were certainly a big hit on QV.

I have often, when in the Grills and heading for lunch, walked past what used to be a dedicated sandwich bar in the Kings Court: I seem to recall it was the daytime function of the Chef's Galley.

Anyway, I have a penchant for pastrami and it was often available for carving on this sandwich bar.

On arrival in the Grills I have mentioned the fact pastrami was on offer at said sandwich bar and how I would love an 'open sandwich' of said pastrami.

It would appear on cue, often in a considerable portion size, without any fuss.

On my last crossing in December I didn't pursue this option so I'm not sure if that 'sandwich bar' is still available after the remastering.

Maybe someone who uses the Kings Court can elucidate.

I have often, when in the Grills and heading for lunch, walked past what used to be a dedicated sandwich bar in the Kings Court: I seem to recall it was the daytime function of the Chef's Galley.

Anyway, I have a penchant for pastrami and it was often available for carving on this sandwich bar.

On arrival in the Grills I have mentioned the fact pastrami was on offer at said sandwich bar and how I would love an 'open sandwich' of said pastrami.

It would appear on cue, often in a considerable portion size, without any fuss.

On my last crossing in December I didn't pursue this option so I'm not sure if that 'sandwich bar' is still available after the remastering.

Maybe someone who uses the Kings Court can elucidate.

Yes, that's the area I was remembering. But that appeared to be only a seating area now. There was a podium at the entrance for no particular reason, and often a cranky-looking maitre d' standing there and glowering at paperwork.

Yes, that's the area I was remembering. But that appeared to be only a seating area now. There was a podium at the entrance for no particular reason, and often a cranky-looking maitre d' standing there and glowering at paperwork.

That area was used for burgers, hot dogs and fries at lunch last month. (Pizza was around the corner) Unfortunately, I didn't find sliced tomatoes, lettuce or other fixins there. Not being big buffet fans, I only stopped by twice at lunch. I don't know how it was used during other times and days.

And the maitre d' podium was for alternative dining reservations, I believe.

I'm pretty sure the make-to-order sandwich bar on the QM2 in Kings Court has been replaced by a burger stand. Unfortunately the burgers and hot dogs are made ahead of time and put under heat lamps. Ewwww! My recommendation is to have lunch in the dining room.

I'm pretty sure the make-to-order sandwich bar on the QM2 in Kings Court has been replaced by a burger stand. Unfortunately the burgers and hot dogs are made ahead of time and put under heat lamps. Ewwww! My recommendation is to have lunch in the dining room.

I think this is the place you are thinking of...

35334696612_3205575822_z.jpg

"Ewwww!" doesn't even come close!! This is QM2, not Mickey D's, for pity's sake!!! Not that it matters to me. I never eat fast-food (previously frozen) burgers. Read Robin Cook's "Toxin" and you won't, either. :eek:

If the speaker program is good and has a busy schedule, I may not want to take the time to eat in the dining room, but the poor quality of KC may force me to it. Cafe Carinthia is nice, but at Christmas they had the same items every time I went there. And like the pub lunch, it's best to do that early in the cruise before everyone has discovered it.

We also sail with HAL, and their buffet options, even on the smaller ships, are far superior. Salad station with just about anything you could want, cooked-to-order burgers, cooked-to-order pasta station. I will admit that some ships have gone to pre-made sandwiches, but even those offerings are better than QM2's.