Disembarkation in Venice

mariners

We are overnight in Venice at the end of our cruise and I'm trying to find out information regarding Oceania's handling of disembarkation/luggage after an overnight in port. I'm hoping that someone on this board will be able to answer my questions.

If we put out our luggage as is usual the night before disembarking, will it be put ashore ready for pick up very early in the morning, or will we need to keep the luggage with us and take it off the ship ourselves?

As far as I can tell from looking at various sites, we will be the only ship where passengers will disembark on that morning. There will, however, be at least two other ships that will be at the cruise port with us. Will this impact how long it will take us to clear the terminal?

In the past in Venice, we have requested our private transfer to arrive 4 hours before we are to fly out of the airport. As we have not previously sailed on Oceania, will this be enough time for disembarkation, getting our luggage, meeting our transfer, and arriving at the airport with enough time to easily make our flight?

Thank you.

We've disembarked from Oceania in Venice after an overnight. We had an early flight about 9am and private transfer arranged for 6am. There were no issues, we got off the ship and into the waiting car. I think we kept our luggage and wheeled it off, our choice. It was a quick ride to the airport.

Four hours is more than enough time, you will sit at the airport quite a while.

Enjoy, this is a fun last day port.

We had an early flight out of Venice, so we arranged for a driver to pick us up at 4:30am. We only had 21" carry on bags and a backpack each, so self disembarkation was easy. Be aware that staff will not help you with your luggage if you chose this option. We were at the airport within 30 minutes. The airlines do not open their check in counters more than 2 hours ahead of the flight, so we had to wait in the open area for almost an hour before the counters opened. This area can get really crowded and seating is very limited. Lesson learned was that we only need to be at Marco Polo airport 2 hours ahead.

sammiedawg, thanks for your description of your experience on Oceania. I'm sure that we will be able to manage disembarkation with our luggage. We will definitely enjoy our time in Venice.

grmmybbty, I called our airline and they told me to be there 3 hours before departure for our flight. I'm not sure that their information is accurate for Venice, but, to be on the safe side, that's what we will do. It could be that different countries/airlines have different regulations, or it could be that we will be waiting in an overcrowded airport. Thanks to your post, I will be prepared for a long wait in less than ideal conditions.

• 5 months later...

We are getting off Riviera in Venice after an overnight. Our flight is at noon. Is it better to carry our own luggage off (no help needed) or have it taken off the night before? I have heard that carrying your own raises red flags. Just want to be early for the flight so we'd get off the ship about 8am. Thanks!

Cheers!

We are getting off Riviera in Venice after an overnight. Our flight is at noon. Is it better to carry our own luggage off (no help needed) or have it taken off the night before? I have heard that carrying your own raises red flags. Just want to be early for the flight so we'd get off the ship about 8am. Thanks!

Cheers!

There is another thread running on this... just have the ship take the bags. They collect them late the evening before. Colour coded tags so when you go to find them just look for the tag. Easy really. With a noon flight you will need to find somewhere to wait since you will have to be off the ship by 0900. Sitting at the airport for a few hours wont be fun and with a noon flight you probably wont be able to check in until 1000. Maybe get off as late as possible?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We disembarked Riviera in Venice last month. We asked for a 8am slot ( I seem to remember we could have chosen from 5am). We were early so left at 7:30. It was quite easy to find our cases since most people had already left.

We walked to the people mover( it was too early for the shuttle). This took us to Piazzale Roma where we caught the 8:20 airport bus. We arrived at the airport at 8:40. It was a very easy transfer.

I still have my notes for the transfer

Riding Venice's People Mover is easy: There's only one route, and the fixed fare is €1.50. The People Mover terminates in Piazzale Roma.

Look for ticket-vending machines near the station entrances. You can pay with euro coins, banknotes (€5, €10, or €20), or a credit card. The machines have instructions in four languages.

After you've bought your ticket, go to the entry checkpoint and hold your ticket under the scanner with the barcode up. When the barrier opens, go through and continue upstairs via the escalator or lift.

ATVO operate an express bus service between Venice Piazzale Roma and Marco Polo Airport every 20 minutes (10, 30 & 50). The fare is 8 one way per person including baggage. The journey time is 20 minutes.

Tickets can be purchased at the ATVO ticket office, on the left after leaving the People Mover in Piazzale Roma, at automatic ATVO ticket machines outside the ticket office, at Botazzo Tobacconist's in Piazzale Roma, and at the Novo Tour Agency in Piazzale Roma. Tickets must be validated before getting on the bus in the stamping machines available at the bus stops.

• 1 year later...

We spent an additional 2 nights in Venice at a hotel walking distance from the port. So glad we did, were able to see so much more, even took the ferry over to Burano. Didn’t notice luggage lockers at the port. Taxi picked us up at the hotel to airport, wish we had used the airport bus at Piazalle. Didn’t need 3 hours at the airport in the spring, summer will be very busy

I noticed a company on the same side of the Roma Piazza as the people mover that is a short term luggage storage company. I'm sorry but don't remember the name of it, but they are available.