"Casual jeans and sandals" ?

Redtravel

just read the pre-cruise package that arrived in the mail. It says that dress is country club casual. Since I don't belong to a country club, I can only guess at what kind of clothes are considered country club casual. Then it says that you cannot wear casual jeans in the dining venues. I have lots of jeans that I wear many places. They do not have rips, torn edges or holes. Would these be okay to wear to dinner? It also have seen people wearing sandals everywhere during the summer. Are all sandals forbidden? Or do they mean rubber flipflops?

casual jeans are fine during the day & only in the Terrace for dinner

beach type sandals during the day but not in the dining venues

ladies dress sandals are ok

just use common sense

casual jeans are fine during the day & only in the Terrace for dinner

beach type sandals during the day but not in the dining venues

ladies dress sandals are ok

just use common sense

I wish that part of your answer still applied. "Common sense" these days has gone out the window, hence the need to really spell it out about the dress code! Our country club has relaxed their rules to get new members to the point where I believe the only rule that could be said to actually apply is "don't be naked". And if they could get nudist members who'd pay dearly...well... :o

Just back from 2 1/2 weeks on Marina. The dress code has deteriorated significantly from 10 yrs. ago. Jeans were everywhere. OTOH lots of people like to dress well for the specialty dining areas and GDR.

Dressy sandals were also seen everywhere.

I think nice jeans without rips or holes are fine for the Terrace (buffet) at dinner, but not okay for the Grand Dining Room or the specialty restaurants. As far as shoes go, rubber flip flops are also not okay for the GDR or restaurants. Dressy sandals are fine, as far as I know.

If I'm incorrect, I know someone will offer the right information in no time ;)

Not here to debate whether it is right or wrong, but in the six months I've been on Insignia for the RTW, I've seen "nice" jeans on both men and women in the Grand Dining Room for dinner ... on occasion ... exception rather than the rule. Always paired with a nice shirt for men and nice top for women. Just sayin' ... times are a changin'.

P.S. Have not seen jeans in Toscana or Polo ... but then, we seldom dine at the Specialty dining venues.

just read the pre-cruise package that arrived in the mail. It says that dress is country club casual. Since I don't belong to a country club, I can only guess at what kind of clothes are considered country club casual. Then it says that you cannot wear casual jeans in the dining venues. I have lots of jeans that I wear many places. They do not have rips, torn edges or holes. Would these be okay to wear to dinner? It also have seen people wearing sandals everywhere during the summer. Are all sandals forbidden? Or do they mean rubber flipflops?

Jeans at dinner? "No" and "please, no." Think really nice restaurant in a cosmopolitan city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in an extremely upscale area and there are very in vogue restaurants where gentlemen and ladies wear fashionable dress jeans. Please come to the real world.

"'Real world' SoCal" might be considered by some to be quite the oxymoron. And yes, you'll even see jeans here in our SF Bay Area's far greater per capital concentration of Michelin multi-starred restaurants. But they (jeans) would definitely be the rare exception rather than the "in vogue" fashion rule.

Whatever the case, we all choose to cruise on Oceania ships and their clearly articulated policy says no jeans at dinner. So, let's just save the jeans for far less "traditional" venues in "extremely upscale areas."

"'Real world' SoCal" might be considered by some to be quite the oxymoron. And yes, you'll even see jeans here in our SF Bay Area's far greater per capital concentration of Michelin multi-starred restaurants. But they (jeans) would definitely be the rare exception rather than the "in vogue" fashion rule.

Whatever the case, we all choose to cruise on Oceania ships and their clearly articulated policy says no jeans at dinner. So, let's just save the jeans for far less "traditional" venues in "extremely upscale areas."

No, their written policy, as stated in the website FAQs, says "no casual jeans at dinner". I'm not going to get into a discussion of the precise definition of casual jeans, but Oceania pretty clearly allows "designer jeans" and even in my limited Oceania cruising experience I saw numerous people wearing jeans in the dining room, so jeans are clearly not completely prohibited. On the other hand shorts clearly are prohibited, except in the Terrace Cafe.

Not here to debate whether it is right or wrong, but in the six months I've been on Insignia for the RTW, I've seen "nice" jeans on both men and women in the Grand Dining Room for dinner ... on occasion ... exception rather than the rule. Always paired with a nice shirt for men and nice top for women. Just sayin' ... times are a changin'.

P.S. Have not seen jeans in Toscana or Polo ... but then, we seldom dine at the Specialty dining venues.

Updating my own post ... went to Toscana tonight ... two gentlemen wearing jeans topped with collared shirt and sports jacket. Quite clear to me that O is allowing casual jeans in all venues for dinner as long as the overall appearance of the person is not out of line. Again ... just sayin' ;)

Think really nice restaurant in a cosmopolitan city.

I'm thinking of the second highest rated restaurant in our city (population about 300k, metro area about 3 milllion). Not only do you see many customers wearing jeans, jeans are part of the staff "uniform".

Times have moved on to more casual wear. That said, I don't wear jeans to a restaurant - not even the local pizza place - but have no issue with those who do.

No, their written policy, as stated in the website FAQs, says "no casual jeans at dinner". I'm not going to get into a discussion of the precise definition of casual jeans, but Oceania pretty clearly allows "designer jeans" and even in my limited Oceania cruising experience I saw numerous people wearing jeans in the dining room, so jeans are clearly not completely prohibited. On the other hand shorts clearly are prohibited, except in the Terrace Cafe.

Yes, I've mentioned this multiple times, and I don't plan on wearing jeans to dinner, but I do get annoyed with posters that insist the way they'd like the policies to be are what they are.

I agree with you. The $64,000 questions remains as to what actually constitutes "non casual jeans"

Wearing nice jeans to dinner (along with a nice shirt, maybe a sports jacket, and freshly washed hair) might be a good way to weed out the more shallow fellow-cruisers and allow us to discern who cares about style over substance.

Seriously, as long as someone is clean, groomed, and pleasant I couldn't care less if they are wearing jeans.

You will see jeans almost everywhere in NYC - including trendy, upscale restaurants and at places like the Metropolitan Opera. Often they are paired with a cool jacket. I care more that they keep quiet during the performance or stay off their phones during dinner.

Thanks for the responses. Wore good jeans to Capital Grill with a collared shirt. There were other people dressed more casually. Nobody seems to care as long as you can pay. Just back from a Windstar cruise. Lots of jeans at dinner. The world has become more casual. Cruises have adjusted their acceptable dress codes.

Thanks for the responses. Wore good jeans to Capital Grill with a collared shirt. There were other people dressed more casually. Nobody seems to care as long as you can pay. Just back from a Windstar cruise. Lots of jeans at dinner. The world has become more casual. Cruises have adjusted their acceptable dress codes.

And the ship stayed afloat!

Perhaps all those wagging tongues make the boat sail faster.

The gentleman on our adjoining table in Toscana on a recent cruise was wearing polo shirt and shorts no-one said a word to him.

The gentleman on our adjoining table in Toscana on a recent cruise was wearing polo shirt and shorts no-one said a word to him.

Sad

seems Oceania is turning into a pricey main stream cruise line

I don't subscribe to the "slippery slope" school so that logic doesn't work for me.

not that long ago jeans of any description were not allowed at dinner with the exception of the Terrace

do not care what you subscribe to but reading the above posts it appears we are on the slope already