First time to Bonaire-Help!

Denise5374

I have no idea what to do here!

We will be a family of 6, me, DH, DD25 her DH27, DS21 and his Girlfriend 21

We love to snorkel and laze on a beach but what else to do?

We will be in Aruba and Curacao also so trying to decide what to do on each day.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back & also did the snorkeling with Woodwind in Bonaire. By far one of the best excursions ever. And the snorkeling off Klein Bonaire was awesome. Some of the best I have encountered anywhere in the Caribbean.

In February we did a private sail/snorkel with Blue Bay Sailing. It was wonderful and I would highly recommend it. We booked through Royal Caribbean's Private Journeys, but you can also book directly. We were picked up at the port and it was just a short ride to the marina. If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bonaire is the snorkel capital of the Caribbean. So that is clearly what you want to do there.

If you want to do it on your own here's how:

After you get off the ship exit the pier and turn left along the main street. There are booths (you will see them) and find the water taxi to Klein Bonaire. Get your tickets there.

Walk a bit further down the street to where the ferry loads. 20 minute trip to the uninhabited island of Klein Bonaire. Lovely long beach (but no shade) and you can drift snorkel right from the shore and drift along (direction of current is right to left as you face the water). The reef drops off only about 50 yards off the beach. You have both reef and deep water at the dropoff. Really excellent snorkeling! In our experience only the Great Barrier Reef beats it....and that's a long way to go.

Water taxis run every hour on cruise ship days and are very dependable. It's a great day.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Bonaire is the snorkel capital of the Caribbean. So that is clearly what you want to do there.

After you get off the ship exit the pier and turn left along the main street. There are booths (you will see them) and find the water taxi to Klein Bonaire. Get your tickets there.

Walk a bit further down the street to where the ferry loads. 20 minute trip to the uninhabited island of Klein Bonaire. Lovely long beach (but no shade) and you can drift snorkel right from the shore and drift along (direction of current is right to left as you face the water). The reef drops off only about 50 yards off the beach. You have both reef and deep water at the dropoff. Really excellent snorkeling! In our experience only the Great Barrier Reef beats it....and that's a long way to go.

Water taxis run every hour on cruise ship days and are very dependable. It's a great day.

What is the cost of the water taxis please? TIA

We're renting a golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers for the day for $90. They have them for up to 6 people. We plan to trundle around with the map they provide stopping off at various beaches. We think it's a good way to see some of the island while still enjoying the sun and beaches.

We're renting a golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers for the day for $90. They have them for up to 6 people. We plan to trundle around with the map they provide stopping off at various beaches. We think it's a good way to see some of the island while still enjoying the sun and beaches.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Just search Bonaire Cruisers to get info? I will need to find some prisoners, wait I mean persons, to come with. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-T817R4 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

this sounds great! and if Bonaire is safe, im not worried aobut going off on my own, but how do you get snorkel gear?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
this sounds great! and if Bonaire is safe, im not worried aobut going off on my own, but how do you get snorkel gear?

I would like to know this as well! I'd love to get a chance to snorkel while here in November.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That sounds like an excellent idea. Just search Bonaire Cruisers to get info? I will need to find some prisoners, wait I mean persons, to come with. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-T817R4 using Forums mobile app

Thank you and your family for your sacrifices and service to our country. As the wife (Ret 1st Sergeant) I know that not only the military person serves - it's the family as well. As a Gold Star Mom, your son made the ultimate sacrifice of his tomorrows for our todays. As a nation, we can never say thank you enough.

• 1 month later...

We did a sail & snorkel tour with Epic Tours Bonaire, and this was excellent. They do 3 hours tours, snorkeling with a guide in the Marine Park, which was beautiful. I can highly recommend them. We booked our tour just on the street at their tent (infront of the Cruise Ship pier). But so far I know you can also book their tours through their website.

• 1 month later...

We bought a set of snorkel gear off amazon for $25 awhile back and it has well paid for itself with not having to rent any gear since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums