Recent day in Guadeloupe

rosebriarmary

My husband and I spent a day here last week off the Rotterdam docked in Pointe a Pitre. There was very little info that I could find and, as we had had many beach days, I wanted to do something a bit different. We rented a car from Hertz and drove to Basse Terre (left wing of the butterfly shaped island). Our French sadly is almost non existent but we managed pretty well in spite of that. The Hertz agency- reserve ahead- is about a 10 minute walk . Head left outside the portgate, left at the next main road and then left again at the next port entrance. The agent spoke English which was helpful and it was easy to get out of the city and onto the N1 road west toward Basseterre branching right onto the N2. The roads were fine, single land each way. Easy to follow. We stopped at beaches and overlooks. Went to Grand Anse beach for a swim which was just beautiful and very much what you would want in the Caribbean. About a mile further was the town of Deshaies- the site for the TV show Death in Paradise. Colorful and charming. Back on N2 for 20 minutes past cliffs and fishing villages to the turnoff for D23 which takes you up into the National Park and the rainforest. It goes for about 20 miles and you can stop for short hikes to a waterfall,etc. As you descend from the park you come back to N1 again and quickly back to Pointe a Pitre. Was a very nice day and so glad we went. You do need Euros for small things though we charged the gas and lunch. Everyone was friendly and the island was just beautiful. Not touristy and I look forward to returning.

• 4 months later...
We will be there in December and have not yet decided what to do.Thanks for posting about your experience.

We are on your cruise and, like you, have not yet decided what to do (especially being there on a Sunday). I have been to Guadaloupe twice before and found it difficult to find somewhere that suited us. The second time we were there it was so hot and humid we stayed on the ship.

Hal's excursions seem very limited for this port. Maybe some more will appear by the time we are aboard.

Glad to hear about your positive experiences in Guadeloupe, it has been an island I have wanted to visit for a while now, something about its French-infused island way of life that they Americans have not found a way to destroy yet has made it so appealing to me. I hope to visit someday soon!

We are on your cruise and, like you, have not yet decided what to do (especially being there on a Sunday). I have been to Guadaloupe twice before and found it difficult to find somewhere that suited us. The second time we were there it was so hot and humid we stayed on the ship.

Hal's excursions seem very limited for this port. Maybe some more will appear by the time we are aboard.

We also found the HAL excursions in Guadeloupe very limited ... none to a beach. :(