Walking into Town?

canadarocks

We've been to Martinique twice, and our next cruise we just want to walk from the ship into town. Does anyone know of a site that has a map to do that?

Also we bought some lovely De Paz rum last time (at the Distillery). Is there is a store in town that sells it?

I figured out the answer to my first question. Hopefully someone knows a place, within walking distance from the ship, to buy some good Martinique rum. :)

Off ship, up the main shopping street, at the end is a large Carrefour Supermarket. It has a very good selection of Martinique Rhums, across all price points, including La Favorite La Flibuste (My personal favourite).

Walk time about 20 Minutes.

I figured out the answer to my first question. Hopefully someone knows a place, within walking distance from the ship, to buy some good Martinique rum. :)

Can you let me know the site where you found the good map? We plan on just doing a quick walk around when we are there. I've just started planning, so any guidance would be great!

Thanks!

Off ship, up the main shopping street, at the end is a large Carrefour Supermarket. It has a very good selection of Martinique Rhums, across all price points, including La Favorite La Flibuste (My personal favourite).

Walk time about 20 Minutes.

Thanks, I'll google map it. We loved the "liqueur" styles, especially the peanut and passion fruit. Are those types available there as well?

Can you let me know the site where you found the good map? We plan on just doing a quick walk around when we are there. I've just started planning, so any guidance would be great! Thanks!

Couldn't find a walking tour map, so I figured out what we wanted to see and I google mapped it (satellite view) and designed my own. :) Everything we're doing is within a pretty small area. The furthest away is Fort Saint Louis, which is just about a half hour walk from the port.

Thanks, I'll google map it. We loved the "liqueur" styles, especially the peanut and passion fruit. Are those types available there as well

Sorry, never looked, you can contact the store direct for all questions.

For interest, here us the link to their new flyer.

http://en.calameo.com/read/002768980a7978c16648f

Sorry, never looked, you can contact the store direct for all questions.For interest, here us the link to their new flyer. http://en.calameo.com/read/002768980a7978c16648f

None of the addresses listed on the back page look to be within walking distance of the port. Which one do you go to?

Edited by canadarocks

None of the addresses listed on the back page look to be within walking distance of the port. Which one do you go to?

Off ship - Walk up Rue Isambert - cross the junction with Rue Moreau De Jones - Carrefour is on your right - You can not miss it.

Off ship - Walk up Rue Isambert - cross the junction with Rue Moreau De Jones - Carrefour is on your right - You can not miss it.

I've found it now. The ones listed in the flyer all had different names. This one's literally just called Carefour Market. And it's just an 8 minute walk. D'oh! :o

Thanks again!

I've found it now. The ones listed in the flyer all had different names. This one's literally just called Carefour Market. And it's just an 8 minute walk. D'oh! :o

Thanks again!

The flyer was to give an idea on prices.

Remember that Martinique is actually part of France, and you are from a Country outside the EU. Therefore, you will be able to make your purchases "Tax Free". Take Passport, and when first in Carrefour go to Customer Services, explain you wish to shop Tax Free, and ask for the form.

Just a a potential backup, take your 'phone loaded with Google Translate.

The flyer was to give an idea on prices.

Remember that Martinique is actually part of France, and you are from a Country outside the EU. Therefore, you will be able to make your purchases "Tax Free". Take Passport, and when first in Carrefour go to Customer Services, explain you wish to shop Tax Free, and ask for the form. Just a a potential backup, take your 'phone loaded with Google Translate.

Good to know. Do you need your actual passport or will a copy do?

Hi Guys

Nice thread ...I had some difficultly also finding this Carefour on my iPad map ... then googled the map and uploaded it here ... for the walk from the cruise ship to Carefour

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 6.20.51 PM

The idea of writing the tourist office ..thanks .. here is the e-mail address I got if it helps others

info@martinique.org

Regards

Greg H

NCL Dawn Dec 3-10-2017

• 1 month later...

The city of Fort de France is quite pretty and there are two notable buildings you can visit for free: Scholecher Library and St. Louis Cathedral which we visited on our own. Also easy to find is the city park with a headless statue of Empress Josephine (Napolean's wife) who is a very controversial native of Martinique having to do with re-instituting slavery I believe. This port impressed us as a regular city, not a tourism-created place, and seemed a more vibrant economy than many ports.

• 1 month later...
So, I'm also interested in buying good rum, but I'll only be there on a Sunday, and Google says Carrefour (along with most places) is closed on Sundays. Does anyone know of any good alternatives?

Suggest you ask the Lines Port Agent if they will accept a delivery on your behalf. If yes, ask Intercaves if you purchase would they deliver to the agent.

Suggest La Favorite Filbuste or Privilege as a good Rhum option.

Thanks, Port Royale!!

My DW reminded me of another option, which I post their webpage showing prices. Don't forget to ask for your tax-free form if you are resident outside the EU. Take passport as evidence of nationality.

https://www.yves-rocher.mq/tag/f/372,type-de-parfums,9674,grands-feminins

Thanks so much for the Rocher link!! I've bookmarked it and it will be so useful to study options before actually getting there. Be sure to thank your wife!!

DW just corrected my previous post, having mixed the market names. So with this link I apologise.

http://www.martiniquepro.org/infobox/martinique-the-caribbean-s-top-destination-for-shopping-vacations/

• 2 weeks later...