San Juan Help

hollon

Went for a walk. :D From the downtown piers we followed the sidewalk to a beautiful water side promenade that is along the side of the wall of the city. Went through the big red door and visited a very old church, from there walked to the El Morro Fort. We then walked along the north coast to the Capitol Building , from there we stop at few open air cafe's for a few adults drinks.

We were there in late July on Oasis. Since our time in port was short, we opted to walk up to El Morro. I say "up" purposely because it is an uphill walk (remember hot, humid late July). Makes you appreciate the downhill back to the ship😉 The fort offers beautiful views and was quite interesting history-wise. Definitely glad we went!

The two forts are definitely the things to do. They are both easily accessable from the cruise dock in OSJ, and you can visit long enough visits at both of them within your stay, and still pick up some food or souvenirs on the way back. I always make sure I have a meal in OSJ because I have come to love Puerto Rican food, so maybe consider eating lunch or dinner in the city. If you're looking for a cheap guided tour, many tour guides will be standing right outside of ship, offering short 1.5-3 hour tours for a very cheap price. I have yet to do one but I knw many that have.

However, walking around can be very tiresome, hot, and sweaty, and if you're not looking to do that for one day, the beaches at Condado are also very nice as well, and should be easy enough to get to.

I hope you enjoy Puerto Rico, it is one of my favorite places in the world! :D

Thank you - all the ideas are great, I'll share w/ my daughter :) I'm going on the Harmony of the Seas w/ just she and I, it's nice to not worry about a group going and trying to take care of everyone.

San Juan is very walkable and the forts are definitely worth checking out.

Our first time there we did horseback riding (through the ship) in the El Yunque rainforest which was a lot of fun as well. Also at this location they had ATV rides through the forest as well.

Thank you - all the ideas are great, I'll share w/ my daughter :) I'm going on the Harmony of the Seas w/ just she and I, it's nice to not worry about a group going and trying to take care of everyone.

Here's a full day picture review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50911734&highlight=Plaza+Colon#post50911734

Ther Segway tour as mentioned iby Cruiseguy s really good. It concentrates on Old Town.

I've also done the bicycle tour for something different which branches out to the Condado areas as well.

On Harmony I believe you only have 1/2 short day ashore so plan accordingly... the Forts open at 9am, so a walk around Old Town and seeing one of the forts makes for an awesome morning.

Have a great cruise :D

San Juan is very walkable and the forts are definitely worth checking out.

Our first time there we did horseback riding (through the ship) in the El Yunque rainforest which was a lot of fun as well. Also at this location they had ATV rides through the forest as well.

Yes, great area to visit but not from 7am-1:30pm per Harmony's schedule. El Yunque is a full day pretty much :)

We just walked around, checked out some shops on the way up to the Fort....then walked back. The heat was oppressive, as was the humidity. By the time we got back to the ship, I was feeling pretty rough...dehydrated, I'm sure! If you go walking, make sure you drink plenty!!!

There are cheap buses and trolleys around old Sam just that can go to the forts. The forts are a must see imo.

Of you are just doing a still there, the rain forest would be tough to see much, but we did a tour of the rain forest with a local guide since we spent a couple of days pre cruise. It was incredible and we got to go to some secluded areas, including snorkeling, minor rock climbing, cliff jumping (me, not my wife), and the best was a couple of natural water slides for some smaller water falls. The experience was incredible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Note that if you are arriving in port on a cruise in progress, you will dock at the pier convenient to Old San Juan and easily walkable. However, if you are on a cruise that begins or ends in San Juan, you will be at a different pier (the Pan American Pier) that is more remote. Walking from this location would be difficult.

Yes, great area to visit but not from 7am-1:30pm per Harmony's schedule. El Yunque is a full day pretty much :)

That's why I mentioned I did that excursion through the ship not on my own since I was there for a similar time frame when I was on the Indy years ago.