IS this possible on our own?

timelordjason

We will be in port from 9am to 6pm

I would like us to find our way via taxi to Marigot for a hour or so and walk up to that fort

Then I would like to show my wife that bar by Maho Beach and watch the planes for about an hour

Then I would LOVE to find a beach that is NOT ORIENT BEACH PLEASE

A prettier beach maybe closer to the ship and i wouldn't rule out a couple hours resort fee

I cant seem to find ANY tour that gives enough time in marigot or to see the fort and every tour goes to orient beach, I have been and NOT impressed.

What are the logistics for this? Is it possible?

We hired a cab for the day, driver stayed with us throughout. Go to the taxi stand and they will hook you up. (We were planning to do individual cabs at each location, the driver said he would take us / stay with us for the same total price). This will provide you with the flexibility you desire, visit each location on your time.

As far as a beach, though I haven't been, is Mullet Beach. Practically next door to Maho. Check out the reviews.

We hired a cab for the day, driver stayed with us throughout. Go to the taxi stand and they will hook you up. (We were planning to do individual cabs at each location, the driver said he would take us / stay with us for the same total price). This will provide you with the flexibility you desire, visit each location on your time.

As far as a beach, though I haven't been, is Mullet Beach. Practically next door to Maho. Check out the reviews.

WOW thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking how much did the taxi end up charging you for the day?

You could in essense do all of this while relying on the public buses, but due to the frequent stops, it's hard for me to recommend this much transit on the buses (if it was just to Marigot to Maho, it would be okay) knowing that you have to be back onboard at a certain time. But I would definitely recommend hiring a driver and seeing all that you want to see. Great Bay Beach might be a nice beach for you, it's the beach right off of the Phillipsburg boardwalk. You will also pass Mullet Bay Beach and Little Bay on the way back from Maho towards the ship, and both of those, with Mullet being the better option, are very beautiful. Also, while in Marigot, don't miss the bakery called Sarafina's, which is right across the street from the open-air market, if you want some amazing French pastries! You will enjoy Saint-Martin, I have been by both cruise and land and it is easily my favorite island to date.

You could in essense do all of this while relying on the public buses, but due to the frequent stops, it's hard for me to recommend this much transit on the buses (if it was just to Marigot to Maho, it would be okay) knowing that you have to be back onboard at a certain time. But I would definitely recommend hiring a driver and seeing all that you want to see. Great Bay Beach might be a nice beach for you, it's the beach right off of the Phillipsburg boardwalk. You will also pass Mullet Bay Beach and Little Bay on the way back from Maho towards the ship, and both of those, with Mullet being the better option, are very beautiful. Also, while in Marigot, don't miss the bakery called Sarafina's, which is right across the street from the open-air market, if you want some amazing French pastries! You will enjoy Saint-Martin, I have been by both cruise and land and it is easily my favorite island to date.

OK COOL

Thank you for the info. If you ever get the chance visit my favorite island of all time. No cruises go there and it is a trek to get to but is WAY SO VERY worth it and in the 1000 places to see before you die book. Little corn island (stay at little corn island beach and bungalos and get the inclusive package) in nicaragua. trust me on this one. :)

I would also like to know ? We are looking at going to Marigot and orient beach maybe Maho .

Since you want to go to orient beach I suggest bernards tours. I used them last time and would totally use them again if they would go somewhere other than orient but they only give 30 min in margot and we want to explore it.

OK COOL

Thank you for the info. If you ever get the chance visit my favorite island of all time. No cruises go there and it is a trek to get to but is WAY SO VERY worth it and in the 1000 places to see before you die book. Little corn island (stay at little corn island beach and bungalos and get the inclusive package) in nicaragua. trust me on this one. :)

Sounds like a plan! As you may have seen from my signature, I do a good mix of land and cruise travel, and Nicaragua has been on my radar for a land trip for a while, so I will look the island up and do some research. Thank you! :D

Sounds like a plan! As you may have seen from my signature, I do a good mix of land and cruise travel, and Nicaragua has been on my radar for a land trip for a while, so I will look the island up and do some research. Thank you! :D

If you get to the mainland as well look up raul ortega he gave me a 4 day tour to everywhere from granada for 300 bucks. best part is the places to see ar enot overwhelmed by tourists mostly packpackers so very untouched. ALSO you have to swim in theh volcano crater once in a lifetime chance.

Since you want to go to orient beach I suggest bernards tours. I used them last time and would totally use them again if they would go somewhere other than orient but they only give 30 min in margot and we want to explore it.

We want to spend time in Margot . Like to checkout market and fort . That's why Bernards won't work for us .

WOW thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking how much did the taxi end up charging you for the day?

Don't really remember. Before the cruise I checked out the individual taxi rates online: Pier to Marigot, Marigot to Maho, Maho back to Philipsburg. That total was what I negotiated with the driver. And he agreed to stay with us all day for that price. We didn't go to Mullet, so you would have to account for that. Alternatively, you could use the beach in Philipsburg on your return.

http://taxistmaarten.com/zones-rates

Entirely doable by hiring a cab for the day, or, rent a car and do it yourself. You need to be a little brave to drive on a caribbean island. They drive on the right but the locals can be impatient of visiting drivers.

Beaches: I like Dawn Beach (east side near Orient) and Rouge Bay (west end). Make sure you leave enough time for the slow traffic between the Airport and Phillipsburg as you return.. or go clockwise to avoid it!

• 2 weeks later...

rent a car! You can rent a Hertz 5 passenger for $61 USD total. St. Maarten is easy to drive. Just congestion in Phillipsburg. If you travel clockwise, you can stop at Simpson Bay, Maho, Marigot, lunch in Grand Case and there is a lovely more private beach just north of Orient. Room enough to share if you find another couple. We have done this 3 times. Once on an ATV, that I don't recommend.