Formal Dress Question

SMA9497

Thank you all for your input! I felt they were appropriate(considering he wears it for his Military Ball!) but it seems from the board the formal night dress code is a very sensitive subject for some and wanted to make sure the DH wouldn't feel out of place!

Thanks again!

I have cruised with two Medal of Honor recipients and other Veterans who wore their uniforms. Wear it and be proud. Thanks for your service.:D

• 2 months later...

On my last cruise, I saw a member of the USN wearing a different uniform... every... single... night. Except on the last night, where he wore a t-shirt stating facts about the US Navy. This may be a little too much, but nobody cared and everybody was nice to him, his wife, his kids, and he always had the same table for his family of 8 at the karaoke bar!

However, on formal nights, I'd say.... really... do what you want. You will see all kind/types of uniform, formal, service, mess, anything. Everybody will be nice, everybody will thank you. And no you won't be judged for being less formal than the other guy or wearing less medals. I am a cadet instructor... I'll be lucky if I finish my career with 2 medals under my "desk" pilot wings but any service, long or short, is respected.

Just wearing any piece of clothing with a regiment badge or your name/rank embroidered on it is well enough for many people to express gratitude. I never wore my uniform on a cruise, but still the 6th sense comes into effect pretty easily for many people. Last year, an old Marine spotted me by the way I kicked the straps under my back pack after placing it next to a wall (with my hat on top of it). And that's how I ended up drunk with new friends.

I've always travelled with Carnival, I don't know how it is with the other lines, but just having served is a big deal for them. Before every show on formal nights, the cruise director goes on stage, and asks every serving or retired member of any armed forces to stand up, waits a few seconds so the rest of the passengers get to look around, then asks policemen to stand up, then firemen, paramedics and first responders. Then the CD asks for a round of applause, and THEN he presents the show.

• 1 month later...

I wore mine on our last Cruise with Carnival, and saw a few other members of different branches. The Crew was nice and seemed eager to get a picture with all of us. I am kicking myself for not purchasing the photo, but we looked sharp standing with the captain and crew in our uniforms!

I am going on the Divina the February, and plan on bringing my Semi-formal AF blues. One less suit I have to buy!

Edited by Thompsolonian

• 4 weeks later...

Up front - I am a 33 year US Army Vet (3 years Reserves, 30 AD).

There have been changes to everyone's uniform regs (not just the US) since this thread was started.

If your branch says you can wear your uniform and you want to - go for. But please, wear it correctly. Nothing makes the rest of us feel more uncomfortable than to see someone out of uniform in a formal setting (yes, shirt/blouse/shoes/medals/stripes all need to be correct for your uniform). This includes jewelry, hair, etc. If your branch says no, or not in certain locations, then please don't.

Americans -

If you are on AD, your security officer can give you the current advisory. If you have retired, please check the rules at the location where you are going to be cruising. There are several areas of the world where wearing of a uniform OFF BASE is prohibited. A cruise ship is not a base. Other than NCL's Pride of America, cruise ships are not US vessels. They don't have a US crew. Their crew is international. It is not just you who could be affected but those around you as well.

Example - Cruising out of Hawaii? Go for it. A repositioning through the Suez Canal ..... No, not your best plan

-Holly

(proud of my service including multiple deployments and still able to fit uniforms purchased in 1978. But why would I want to put on heels? I loved my boots!)

• 7 months later...

As a veteran of HM Royal Navy and now cruising with P&O they happily state in their formal night earned medals may be worn... the last 2 cruises I have happily worn mine - we don't get the plaudits you get your side of the pond but I haven't had a bad comment yet - nor a free drink!!! But they finally give us a OBC upgrade at least or so I'm promised for my next cruise.. I have never felt threatened or had a bad response from the crew..

Edited by lebreos

As a veteran of HM Royal Navy and now cruising with P&O they happily state in their formal night earned medals may be worn... the last 2 cruises I have happily worn mine - we don't get the plaudits you get your side of the pond but I haven't had a bad comment yet - nor a free drink!!! But they finally give us a OBC upgrade at least or so I'm promised for my next cruise.. I have never felt threatened or had a bad response from the crew..

I have always had a good response on both P&O and Princess. No so much on some of the other lines.

My objection is not the wearing of the uniform. It is the person isn't wearing it correctly. To me that doesn't honor your country, uniform or military service.. US Army (for example) doesn't allow beards. So if a retiree is going to wear their service uniform, they need to shave. and cut their hair. and polish their shoes...

-Holly

who is finding herself a bit crabbier on some of these details than she ever thought. Perhaps it is a side effect of being detached to the RAMC for three years @ Sandhurst???

I agree if you are going to wear a uniform you must conform to the dress code as they stand -I'd get away with a beard ( full beards allowed with the royal navy )but unless your a retired general I wouldnt wear my old number 1's ( cant fit in them anyway ) and its not allowed under our uniform regs as I'm no longer serving. If i had a mess dinner jacket i may have been tempted as it would just be the jacket...

Edited by lebreos

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should wear it with pride. As Holly said there is nothing worse than an incorrect uniform. Hubby wore his on a Celebrity cruise 2 years ago on formal night. A lot of people thanked him for his service. There was some medical issue that night and people came up to him thinking he was the Captain!

• 4 months later...

I agree with Holly that active duty personnel should definitely check with their security officer / NCO before planning on wearing their uniform. I intend on taking a repositioning cruise from Europe to the states when my tour ends this fall and my wife is hoping I wear my mess dress, we shall see. I personally like seeing other service members during formal nights in their dress attire, it is always good to know that you are surrounded by good company.

v/r

Hanover79

I agree with Holly that active duty personnel should definitely check with their security officer / NCO before planning on wearing their uniform. I intend on taking a repositioning cruise from Europe to the states when my tour ends this fall and my wife is hoping I wear my mess dress, we shall see. I personally like seeing other service members during formal nights in their dress attire, it is always good to know that you are surrounded by good company.

v/r

Hanover79

Foreign clearance guide actually specifies the rule for certain countries. Not sure how being in the middle class f the ocean would be listed on there though.

v/r

Hanover79

It is always worth checking with your security person. Common sense also is a good guideline.

If you, for example, are sailing out of the UK on Cunard or P&O , there is very little chance of a problem and frankly with multiple formal nights in that crossing it would be a lot easier. Your passenger mix is heavily English speaking. If you are thinking about sailing with Costa or MSC out of Genova my personal comfort level would not be anywhere near as high (and I have done TAs on both of these lines). The security on both lines is excellent, but your passenger mix is very highly shifted toward Europeans....

If you are serving US military, if you get it in your orders to be able to claim reimbursement rather than have transportation arrange your port call, usually you can claim up to what the cost of the city-city pair would have been. It certainly won't cover your cruise, but it will make a dent.

-Holly

who spent two incredibly long years stationed near Munich making regular trips to the FLO for my mail....

• 2 months later...

So, we've been on multiple cruises, but I've always just worn normal dress attire for formal night. This year I'm considering actually taking and wearing my ASU for our first formal dinner. My only concern is how to pack to avoid excess wrinkles. I usually carry in a garment bag, but I do not want to have to carry that around the ship until our room is open, as we are typically early arrivals. Any suggestions on best ways to pack uniforms.

So, we've been on multiple cruises, but I've always just worn normal dress attire for formal night. This year I'm considering actually taking and wearing my ASU for our first formal dinner. My only concern is how to pack to avoid excess wrinkles. I usually carry in a garment bag, but I do not want to have to carry that around the ship until our room is open, as we are typically early arrivals. Any suggestions on best ways to pack uniforms.

Maybe just pack it flat at the bottom of your suitcase, and hand it to your steward the day you embark. They'll iron it for a few dollars and deliver it to your room before the end of next day.

If your wife uses a rolling garment bag for her dresses, it'll make the trip in that just fine. You can get one of those inexpensive protective bags you would use for storage in the closet and just fold it over in your suitcase and it'll come through ok. We now have a "suiter" suitcase that basically has a garment bag inside the lid of our check in bag, and that is pretty sweet! Worst comes to worst you can always do as the previous poster said and have it pressed on the ship. If you just fold it and put it in your bag, a trick to minimize wrinkles is to fold it in tissue paper. This is why new dress shirts are folded this way.

• 5 months later...

Active-duty RCN here. When Herself and I took the QM2 from New York to Southampton a couple of years ago, I brought my mess kit for the three formal nights. No-one took offense and I did receive many offers of libations (most of which I had to decline, sadly, as otherwise, I'd have lost steering and main propulsion and not found my way back to our cabin...)

I'll be sailing on the Star Princess next year from Vancouver to Hawaii and back, and I'll definitely be wearing my mess kit again. Hope to see my brothers and sisters in arms wearing their mess uniforms with equal pride!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wore my mess dress on a Princess cruise to Norway out of England and my wife still complains that no one even noticed her (not true, she looked phenomenal -- I saw all those old guys eyeing her!). Most folks guessed I was RAF (I'm USAF). That was 21 years ago and I just tried on my cumberbum and it is only a little snug. I was double checking on wearing it now that I'm retired and have concluded it is not a real issue (regs say the service dress is fine, but don't mention the mess dress). Good to hear positive experiences.

I wore my mess dress on a Princess cruise to Norway out of England and my wife still complains that no one even noticed her (not true, she looked phenomenal -- I saw all those old guys eyeing her!). Most folks guessed I was RAF (I'm USAF). That was 21 years ago and I just tried on my cumberbum and it is only a little snug. I was double checking on wearing it now that I'm retired and have concluded it is not a real issue (regs say the service dress is fine, but don't mention the mess dress). Good to hear positive experiences.

The only thing you really have to do is check the USAF's CURRENT policy on uniforms if you want to wear it on a ship. A lot has changed in the last 20 years. That is - when it is and isn't allowable to wear (the USAF has one of the strictest policies about uniform wear outside the US) and whether or not you can comply with appearance standards.

If you can, then enjoy wearing your uniform , short hair and a clean shaven face with pride.

-Holly

who has decided to admire her dress mess in the closet rather than on ship. It still fits, but takes up way too much suitcase space....

• 1 year later...

I retired from active duty in 1992, with 26 years under my belt. I then went on to teach AFJROTC for another 19 years, which requires wear of uniform daily, while performing my instructor duties. So I believe after 45 years in uniform, I should be capable of deciding what an appropriate function might for wear of my Mess Dress. I have wore my Mess Dress once aboard a Cruise Ship, only because a Canadian Air Force member dared me to wear mine if he wore his Mess Kit, including the kilt.;p Now here is what the guidance the current Air Force AFI gives:

AFI36-2903

12.4. Retired Personnel.12.4.1. Retirees may wear the authorized uniform prescribed at the date of member’sretirement or any of the uniforms authorized for current active duty personnel, including thedress uniforms. Do not mix uniforms.12.4.2. Retirees who had an assignment prior to retirement that included command atsquadron, group or wing level are authorized to wear the Command insignia pin on the leftlapel.12.4.3. If member’s last assignment prior to retirement was a First Sergeant and/orCommand Chief, the member is authorized to wear appropriate chevrons in all instances theuniform is worn.12.4.4. Retirees may wear the retired lapel pin on civilian and/or military attire. The retiredlapel pin is placed on the left lapel. If member is authorized to wear the Command insigniapin, it is placed on the left lapel of civilian attire, below the retired lapel pin.12.4.5. May wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits or equivalent dresses onappropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day.12.4.6. May wear the uniform at occasions of military ceremonies.12.4.7. May wear the uniform at military funerals, weddings, memorial services andinaugurals.12.4.8. May wear the uniform at patriotic parades on national holidays, other militaryparades or ceremonies in which any active or Reserve U.S. Military unit is taking part.12.4.9. May wear the uniform at educational institutions when engaged in giving militaryinstructions or responsible for military discipline.12.4.10. May wear the uniform at social or other functions when the invitation has beeninfluenced by the member’s active military service.12.4.11. May wear the uniform when traveling to or from any function listed above whentravel is within 24 hours of the scheduled function.12.4.12. Members of the reserve components who are eligible to retire but are not atmandatory age (60 years) do not wear the uniform while traveling on military aircraft

• 1 month later...

The last time I looked this up as it applies to non-active duty Army personnel (e.g. retired or separated personnel) the applicable Army Regulation (AR 670-1) prohibited the wear of the uniform by those personnel attending a non-military function. Therefore, while a separated or retired person could wear their uniform at a military type function (e.g. a dining-in) but they could not wear that uniform at a non-military type function (e.g. dinner on a cruise ship.) Would anybody say anything if they did? Probably not, but strictly speaking they would be in violation of the regulation.

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Both appropriate and proper. We cruised with a retired General in uniform. Next formal night he was at the Captains table.

I, and probably more than a few Vets, would be likely to send over a drink.

Make sure to stop by the photographers on formal night. You don't HAVE to buy the pictures, but you may find one that you can't resist.

Thanks for serving - Ken S

Military dress uniforms are appropriate for formal nights.

I was not a ARMY DOG, I was a SQUID! Yet I've got his 6, if anyone would say anything about his uniform. God bless your husband. I'm one of 4 brothers with a total of 70 years active. Bottom line if I, or any of my brothers, heard anything negative, IT would get Ugly Real Quick! Just saying... Enjoy your cruise! And yes I've never taken a Sensitivity class, and would Never make it today if a was 14 years old today! I wish you and your husband, Fair winds and Following Seas.

Edited by TORQ

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a proud retired Seabee and plan on wearing my dinner dress jacket uniform (mess dress for you other types) on my next cruise. This way I only am packing one outfit for my 2-weeker instead of three gowns. I saw a Marine on my last cruise who looked like a soup sandwich - unshaven, hair too long, too fat for the uniform. Embarrassing... first time I ever saw a Marine not look good.