Poll: Is Cruising Becoming A Better Option for Solo Travelers?

editor@cruisecritic

Are Cruise Lines Doing A Good Job For Solo Travelers?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are Cruise Lines Doing A Good Job For Solo Travelers?

• Yes, we're seeing more options for solos who want single cabins.
    • Yes, you can often find deals that help eliminate the extra tariff singles pay.
    • Maybe. Cruise lines have solo cabins but they're often booked up very quickly.
    • Maybe, cruise lines don't promote solo cabins and/or great deals without solo surcharge very well.
    • No, it's harder for solos to snag a deal or single cabin than ever before.
    • Other (please explain in comments below).

The quick answer is no. Some of us have interests beyond feeling sorry for ourselves because we're single and care more about activities that suit those interests; In the past decade, crusie lines have moved towards cookiecutter, lowest-common-denominator, might-as-well have-stayed-home-watching-TV.

All the other answers relate to those looking only at price, don't care about activities.

I agree. If it meant having a smaller room I wouldn't want that. it's based on activities and if it's in my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
I don't mind having to pay the solo traveller's tax. There is no way I would share with anyone let alone a stranger. I'd rather it was only 1.5 times the fare of 75% of the 2 person cabin rate.

[ I agree I will not share a cabin even with a friend of many years. I want to havs my own p space and sant a verandah. HAL put some solo cabins way far forward on theirf new s ship, Koningsdam. Awful location, no verandahs and ame pric e as if booking a regular cab in. HOrrid location. iMO How sttupid do tthey thhink people are? They 'gave us something terrific? :D No. They want to make it seem they are being hellpful to solos. :rolleyes: They used empty space that was of litle us e to them otherwise

I don't mind having to pay the solo traveller's tax. There is no way I would share with anyone let alone a stranger. I'd rather it was only 1.5 times the fare of 75% of the 2 person cabin rate.

Which cruise line is only 1.75%? Royal is pretty much double. Pay for the full cabin rate

I think the best solution is for any new ships be designed with more than the dozen or so solo cabins. Royal is basically pay the full cabin rate as if 2 were traveling. I have 2 solo cruises planned with them. But would cruise more often if it were say 1.5 or some reasonable discount. I know this negatively affect the ship's bottom line but so would it positively affect it if I cruises more often. Especially during months schools are in session. Thanks for asking

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
NO. They are not doing anything to attract solo cruisers. As stated before, studio cabins are more expensive than paying double for an inside room. I would take more cruises if I didn't have to pay single supplement. Very frustrating.

Studio cabins on NCL are typically cheaper than an inside unless you catch a guarantee. I'd rather have a studio and the studio lounge than risk getting a bad inside room in a poor location via GTY.

Studio cabins on NCL are typically cheaper than an inside unless you catch a guarantee. I'd rather have a studio and the studio lounge than risk getting a bad inside room in a poor location via GTY.

I don't know that I'd say "typically" -- I've looked at several voyages where they were not cheaper than even an outside cabin. Obviously it depends a lot on which cruise, when you book it, and how popular they are.

I have done Solo cruising on Celebrity and NCL. I had the opportunity to try them because of their solo sales. I am however booked again at a100% supplement fee.

On Celebrity I have never received a break. I bite the bullet and pay [emoji383], I have been lucky as far as socializing due to the roll calls and shared excursions and activities. I was told the EDGE will be introducing SOLO cabins with a wall to wall window.

As far as their programs go, NCL does give you a better opportunity to meet other solos with meetings with a host. X advertises the meetings, but they are really non existen. On my Equinox cruises I showed up at the Meeting point and asked the bartender was I at the right place. He laughed. My last cruise, ( holiday time), I felt I wasn't even welcome, if wasn't for my Roll Call mates, I probably would have been miserable.

Any how I would like to see the supplement more at 50% or less. And am willing to try a studio cabin, just don't care for really big ships.

I have been retired now for 4 years and usually cruise twice a year. Would probably cruise more if I felt I wasn't being gouged.

That about covers it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL does a great job with solo's, insofar as hosting a nightly get together in the ships that have a Sudio Lounge, during cocktail hour, (around 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM). You do not need to have a Studio cabin keycard to gain access during that hour, which you do outside of that hour.

The lounge has a bar, and self serve espresso maker, snacks, etc. The host introduces people, conducts games, arranges group dinner's in either the main dining room or specialty restaurants on certain nights. Lot's of fun. Not sure if NCL does it on its older ships or not.

Other cruise lines should do the same, even if they don't have a "studio lounge"...they could use a bar, or some conference room for the purpose.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
NCL does a great job with solo's, insofar as hosting a nightly get together in the ships that have a Sudio Lounge, during cocktail hour, (around 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM). You do not need to have a Studio cabin keycard to gain access during that hour, which you do outside of that hour.

The lounge has a bar, and self serve espresso maker, snacks, etc. The host introduces people, conducts games, arranges group dinner's in either the main dining room or specialty restaurants on certain nights. Lot's of fun. Not sure if NCL does it on its older ships or not.

Other cruise lines should do the same, even if they don't have a "studio lounge"...they could use a bar, or some conference room for the purpose.

Cunard has limited single staterooms but I’m sceptical about the size.

• 2 months later...

ABSOLUTELY a better experience now! My first solo cruise was in 2006. I still remember going to the main dining room. Told the maitre'd I would sit with others but was seated at a table for 2. After 25 minutes, I flagged down a waiter and said I would like some water, a drink and maybe some service? He looked at me like I was from outer space! He told me he thought I was waiting for someone. I did get served and things worked themselves out. Everyone knew me as the woman who was traveling alone - most of them talked to me (maybe out of pity?) But I was invited to dinner with several fellow passengers and I met 3 people with whom I kept in contact for many years. Since then, I have probably 30-35 solo cruises. I meet people because I talk to everyone. I don't discriminate: young, old, male, female. I also know when to shut up. I (think) I can tell when someone doesn't want to interact. This approach has led to happy cruises for me. Bottom line though is that staff has become accustomed to solo travelers and made the cruise experience so much better than it was in 2006.

Glad you re-awakened this thread. I’m just off a solo cruise with Silversea. There were at least 10 of us solos onboard a ship of 300 pax. There was a nightly cocktail hour for us, sometimes hosted, sometimes not. It was easy to dine alone or join others for meals, and I think all of us received a special dinner invite with a crew member at some point during the voyage.

With a 25% supplement, I’d say they are effectively attracting and supporting solos.

Glad you re-awakened this thread. I’m just off a solo cruise with Silversea. There were at least 10 of us solos onboard a ship of 300 pax. There was a nightly cocktail hour for us, sometimes hosted, sometimes not. It was easy to dine alone or join others for meals, and I think all of us received a special dinner invite with a crew member at some point during the voyage.

With a 25% supplement, I’d say they are effectively attracting and supporting solos.

Good morning...........glad you had a good time:) I took my first Silversea cruise last summer and had the same wonderful experience. I am sailing with them again in July..........4 months to go:D