Curious about Solo Cruising

cantgetaname

First cruise coming up later this year. This time I am going with friends but usually I don't have anyone to go on a cruise with (hence this being my first). But in anticipation of enjoying cruising, I have a couple questions about going solo.

So just to make sure . . .

When the single supplement is 200 percent, and the cruise is say 1000, I would pay 2000 for the room I want (say a balcony cabin) No other hidden supplements aside from the normal taxes etc?

Am open to different cruise lines at this point but does anyone know if all of them have a 200 percent supplement or are some better than others? Is there a list of the cruise lines and their single supplements?

Thanks for the help. I like to know what I'm getting into and what I can expect to pay.

First cruise coming up later this year. This time I am going with friends but usually I don't have anyone to go on a cruise with (hence this being my first). But in anticipation of enjoying cruising, I have a couple questions about going solo.

When the single supplement is 200 percent, and the cruise is say 1000, I would pay 2000 for the room I want (say a balcony cabin) No other hidden supplements aside from the normal taxes etc?

Am open to different cruise lines at this point but does anyone know if all of them have a 200 percent supplement or are some better than others? Is there a list of the cruise lines and their single supplements?

Thanks for the help. I like to know what I'm getting into and what I can expect to pay.

Hello cantgetaname,

You're correct that a single supplement is double the cruise fare but not double the port/fees and taxes. The past couple of years I've cruised quite a bit on NCL out of NY and have paid a single supplement from none to double the fare. Mostly they offer the reduced supplement as you get closer to the sailing but sometimes further out. For instance, my next sailing on Oct. 31st, I booked a 1/2 year out and have a 150% supplement for an inside cabin so you never know. With that being said, I wouldn't only go by the single supplement but by what the price is.

Your not allowed to mention travel agents websites, but there's one that I normally will go to when I'm looking for a vacation to go on. That way I can see all the cruises within a certain time frame to compare the prices.

You may want to look at cruiseplum.com -- it's a site that lists cruises and fares, and you can search specifically for solo prices. They're an information site, not a travel agency. There certainly are voyages on almost all cruise lines that sail with less than a 100% supplement (i.e. paying double), but they may not be going when or where you want to go. Often they are the voyages that aren't selling very well for one reason or another. Still, they might suit your fancy.

Consider Crystal which is a luxury, virtually-all inclusive line, but right now they are still being very good to solos and offer window cabins for about an extra 30% and balconies for about an extra 35%. The price is higher at first glance, but if you factor in the things that are included (like gratuities, drinks (alcoholic or not), a couple of specialty restaurant visits, exercise classes, self-serve laundry, etc) the actual price will often be pretty close to paying double on a mainstream line. I've been on 3 cruises with them so far, and they treat solo passengers wonderfully by treating them just like everybody else.

Hi, to the OP, you are correct........the usual price is double.......so if a cabin is $1000.00 per person you would pay 2....

the taxes and port charges will only be for 1.

As a solo cruiser, my favorite line is NCL, they are they are just the best to solos in terms of cost. Often you can have zero single supplement, so instead of 200%, you just pay 100%, sometimes 150%.

I wanted to stray and try something new(cruise line) but when I look at prices I just run back to NCL :)

Basically, to cruise solo its best to look on the shoulder seasons when doubling a low rate isn't that bad. Instead of $2,000 in June -the same room might be $1200 in August the week the kids go back to school-much more reasonable-PLUS you get a BIGGER Bed all by yourself. HaHa!

Plus generally there will be more singles since families with kids are back in school

Basically, to cruise solo its best to look on the shoulder seasons when doubling a low rate isn't that bad. Instead of $2,000 in June -the same room might be $1200 in August the week the kids go back to school-much more reasonable-PLUS you get a BIGGER Bed all by yourself. HaHa!

Plus generally there will be more singles since families with kids are back in school

This is exactly what I do. Not only does it help with the single supplement cost, it makes me look like a team player to my employer since I'm willing to wait until all of my coworkers have had a chance to vacation with their families! ;p I have gotten to the point of actually preferring solo cruising.

For most cruises, Holland America charges about 160-165% for interiors and oceanviews. Cunard usually charges 175% for interiors, oceanviews, and balconies.

Royal Caribbean sometimes has a BOGO (pay full price for the first person and half for the second). They charged me 150% (instead of the normal 200%) during this sale a couple of years ago.