Scenic Eclipse - medical certificate

OceanPatter

Wondering if anyone else is considering a cruise in 2018 on the Scenic Eclipse, the uber-luxury yacht scheduled to sail on Aug 31, 2018. Some of the cruises are already fully booked, which indicates how much excitement there is for this 'ship.'

One aspect that surprises me is the requirement for a medical health report that needs to be completed by a physician within 90 - 45 days before sailing. This is mandatory, and has to occur within the specified window. Is this document unique to the Scenic Eclipse, or do other lines impose this requirement?

Given that full payment needs to be made well in advance of sailing (and would be non-refundable when the medical report is due), I wonder if this would be a minor deal-breaker. Thoughts?

I was considering it a few months ago when I first heard about it, sounds lovely, but as I like bathtubs on cruises, I noted I would have to spend several thousand dollars more just to get the lowest level suite with a tub and so I have not booked yet (but have not ruled it out, though maybe it is already too late if full)

The medical certificate is not usually required on luxury cruise lines (but if you have a preexisting condition, get your own good insurance) so this is stricter, maybe they worry about the use of the extra exploration equipment they have on board that could pose more challenges, likely would have to be healthier than many seniors are. Certainly having to pay in full earlier than usual, combined with everything else, indicates they really want you to be sure you want to do this cruise, so it goes right and has no surprises on inauguration.

Catlover54, thanks for your insights. I was able to get the medical certificate clarified ... it's really a form to certify our fitness to participate in zodiac-related activities (and to protect Scenic's liability). I just thought it was a bit unusual, since the cruise we're interested in, is not-adventurous.

These Scenic Eclipse cruises are really getting a lot of traction ... it will be an amazing ship if it looks anything like the renderings.

I was considering it a few months ago when I first heard about it, sounds lovely, but as I like bathtubs on cruises, I noted I would have to spend several thousand dollars more just to get the lowest level suite with a tub and so I have not booked yet (but have not ruled it out, though maybe it is already too late if full)/QUOTE]

I don't know what Scenic's solo supplement is for the Eclipse, but with a 13 day cruise through the Norwegian Fjords starting at £8175 I will stick with the Europa 2.

I was considering it a few months ago when I first heard about it, sounds lovely, but as I like bathtubs on cruises, I noted I would have to spend several thousand dollars more just to get the lowest level suite with a tub and so I have not booked yet (but have not ruled it out, though maybe it is already too late if full)/QUOTE]

I don't know what Scenic's solo supplement is for the Eclipse, but with a 13 day cruise through the Norwegian Fjords starting at £8175 I will stick with the Europa 2.

Norway is expensive even on the E2, though not quite as bad, and on Scenic you get a nice boat full of English-speaking humorous Aussies!

If solo on Scenic ( at least the first year) looks like you pay double. I was considering going with DH ( who could easily get a cert for the Zodiaks etc., but I am not too sure I would do well in them and would definitely need the expensive tub afterwards if I risked that level of physical strain, or worse, slipped and fell.

Norway is expensive even on the E2, though not quite as bad, and on Scenic you get a nice boat full of English-speaking humorous Aussies!

If solo on Scenic ( at least the first year) looks like you pay double. I was considering going with DH ( who could easily get a cert for the Zodiaks etc., but I am not too sure I would do well in them and would definitely need the expensive tub afterwards if I risked that level of physical strain, or worse, slipped and fell.

The cost of my recent 16 day Norway cruise on the Europa 2, with the single supplement, was less than Scenic's entry level pp price for their 14 day cruise.

As for Zodiac travel I have avoided it as I have back trouble.

Perhaps my anxiety is misplaced.

• 10 months later...
...and on Scenic you get a nice boat full of English-speaking humorous Aussies!

English-speaking Australians? Wow...most of the Australians I've met don't speak English - they speak something they call 'Stralyin" or something like that - a few words kind of sounded English, but not quite...

:D

PS - Just kidding, my Australian friends - love you guys!

Catlover54, thanks for your insights. I was able to get the medical certificate clarified ... it's really a form to certify our fitness to participate in zodiac-related activities (and to protect Scenic's liability). I just thought it was a bit unusual, since the cruise we're interested in, is not-adventurous.

These Scenic Eclipse cruises are really getting a lot of traction ... it will be an amazing ship if it looks anything like the renderings.

Was this required to go on the cruise, or only if one wanted to participate in certain excursions, such as those using zodiacs?