Paul Gauguin vs Windstar

patrinka

For those that have traveled on both lines which did you prefer and why?

Would you do the 7 or 10 night sailings?

Please make sure you ONLY pay attention to those who have been on both IN FRENCH POLYNESIA!!! This will be a rarity here.

I would only do a 10 day. You are traveling a long way and spending a lot of money for 7 days. Plus the longer cruises you get to see more places! Or so a back to back 10 and 7 like I did a few years ago. You get a nice air credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done the 7 night on the PG but I prefer the PG 10 or the 11 night cruise. Mixing mountainous islands with atolls in nice. I've never done the 14 night, someday ....

As mentioned, make sure you get advice and comparisons from someone who has been on both ships in FRENCH POLYNESIA. Provisioning is a bit more tricky in the South Pacific than in many other places in the world.

I don't remember ever seeing anyone on any board that has been on both in FP.

Besides the PG 5 times I have been on two Princess cruises here on a 700 person ship. Excellent cruises but I still preferred the PG overall.

14 day PG cruise to the Marquesas is great but I wouldn't recommend it if water activities is your thing. It was my first PG but after my two Princess cruises.

Besides the PG 5 times I have been on two Princess cruises here on a 700 person ship. Excellent cruises but I still preferred the PG overall.

14 day PG cruise to the Marquesas is great but I wouldn't recommend it if water activities is your thing. It was my first PG but after my two Princess cruises.

Interesting we've done 2 princess cruises in FP. Both were on the R4 ships with 650 passengers. PG is heads and tails superior to Princess in FP. We took both of our Princess cruises before the PG.

Interesting we've done 2 princess cruises in FP. Both were on the R4 ships with 650 passengers. PG is heads and tails superior to Princess in FP. We took both of our Princess cruises before the PG.

Funny! Tahitian Princess twice. 2005 and 2007/8.

Can't compare with Windstar, but can comment on 7 versus 10. The 7-night is wonderful. But it is a long way to fly, so if you do the 7-night, do spend some time on an island pre-cruise. This is a good trade-off -- some time on shore, and time on the ship. The 10-day usually has one sea day, so if you like a break, that's a good thing. The Tuamotus are flat, unlike the Societies, and are good for snorkeling and diving, and that's pretty much all. Nice boat trips with picnics on desert islands, that sort of thing.

Can't compare with Windstar, but can comment on 7 versus 10. The 7-night is wonderful. But it is a long way to fly, so if you do the 7-night, do spend some time on an island pre-cruise. This is a good trade-off -- some time on shore, and time on the ship. The 10-day usually has one sea day, so if you like a break, that's a good thing. The Tuamotus are flat, unlike the Societies, and are good for snorkeling and diving, and that's pretty much all. Nice boat trips with picnics on desert islands, that sort of thing.

Wish you were joining us on the Reunion Cruise, would be nice to finally meet Wendy :)

For those that have traveled on both lines which did you prefer and why?

Would you do the 7 or 10 night sailings?

It reality it doesn't matter what he said or she said ....... we all have our own personal favorite. A third party source is probably a good way to examine what would be the best choice ....

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/medium-ocean-cruise-ships#intro

• 5 weeks later...

Just curious, why is the Marquesas not recommended for water activities? I was considering this trip.

I researched Windstar in Europe but was not attracted to their ships at all.

They are not all inclusive for example. I dont drink much but it is so convenient not having to produce cards and sign chits. That's why my favourites are PG, Crystal, Regent and Azamara. I think you have to get a feel for what you like and dont like before sailing on a Windstar ship. People who I have met prefer Seabourn to Windstar.

Just curious, why is the Marquesas not recommended for water activities? I was considering this trip.

I loved the Marquesas for its beauty and wildness--nothing like it. I would certainly go back. But other than going off by yourself and jumping into the ocean, there's no water activities to speak of. (We had a free diver onboard when I was there, shudder!)

Wish you were joining us on the Reunion Cruise, would be nice to finally meet Wendy :)

Missed this post before, Kahuna. Glad you had a good cruise. Now you get to be jealous of us in October! In general we choose not to cruise in the summertime since the weather here is so good--we have a summer cottage and I try to spend at least two months there. Although we will make an exception next summer for our Norwegian Fjords trip.

Missed this post before, Kahuna. Glad you had a good cruise. Now you get to be jealous of us in October! In general we choose not to cruise in the summertime since the weather here is so good--we have a summer cottage and I try to spend at least two months there. Although we will make an exception next summer for our Norwegian Fjords trip.

Already planning for the next trip .... Half the fun is the planning :)

Already planning for the next trip .... Half the fun is the planning :)

When are you going back?

I doubt we will be back for a few years. Almost definitely 2021 and maybe 2020 but not sure.

I would have happily gone 2019 jan or feb for a reunion but PG is looking at another month so now all booked up until 2020. And looking at 20 day Amazon cruise for 2020 january.

When are you going back?

I doubt we will be back for a few years. Almost definitely 2021 and maybe 2020 but not sure.

I would have happily gone 2019 jan or feb for a reunion but PG is looking at another month so now all booked up until 2020. And looking at 20 day Amazon cruise for 2020 january.

Just in the preliminary idea stage ... not sure on the date yet but as I said the planning is as much fun as the trip to me.

I suspect this will be our last trip to FP. But then again, we always think that. But we're getting old, and are probably going to curtail the "gigantic" trips after 2018 in favour of simpler, easier, closer ones.

That was my plan for post 65 years. Will be 65 next year. But, some of the Crystal world cruise segments for 2020 look so inviting they are calling me....health and wealth permitting.

2021 is my 40 th anniversary and I would love to renew my vows on the PG. Also with the possibility of a new boat coming out in 2022 need to see the PG one more time!

That was my plan for post 65 years. Will be 65 next year. But, some of the Crystal world cruise segments for 2020 look so inviting they are calling me....health and wealth permitting.

2021 is my 40 th anniversary and I would love to renew my vows on the PG. Also with the possibility of a new boat coming out in 2022 need to see the PG one more time!

Our Norwegian fjord trip next summer will be a symbolic dual birthday celebration--70 and 75. The trip is halfway in between the two dates. 40th anniversary in 2020--if we're still standing we'll do something.

Hello Wendy from the Ottawa Valley,

We just did 7 days on Windstar but 18 days total in FP. Could not have asked for anything better. If doing 11 days on WS, we would have missed the Heiva i Tahiti and the nice beachfront hotel in Moorea. Of course, the Marquesa and fakarava are nice but we do not regret a thing. We spent over a year going over the details of our trip.

We 're going back in 2019. :-) Loved the culture, the people and the experience

Never been on Windstar, but have researched that line. As said above, they are not all inclusive. That means you pay extra not only for alcoholic drinks, but for soft drinks and bottled water as well. We frankly will not go on such a line any more. Also, if Windstar is using those sail ships in FP, you may find the rooms a bit small. If they are using the ships they acquired from Seabourn, a real balcony will not be an option.

Never been on Windstar, but have researched that line. As said above, they are not all inclusive. That means you pay extra not only for alcoholic drinks, but for soft drinks and bottled water as well. We frankly will not go on such a line any more. Also, if Windstar is using those sail ships in FP, you may find the rooms a bit small. If they are using the ships they acquired from Seabourn, a real balcony will not be an option.

Hi there, missed you on the reunion. Was a great one.