Best solo experience Crystal or Seabourn

traveled

If it was your first cruise going solo which cruise line would you choose? I read that Seaborn always makes sure you have a dinner invitation. Crystal has more solo's but now with any tine dinning how is this handled? I would appreciate comments from those who have said on both. Thank you.

Traveled,

Although I've never cruised with Crystal, I would choose Seabourn without hesitation. It is my understanding that Crystal does not offer open seating and their standard suites are not competitive with Seabourn's. I cruise solo most often with Silversea, as I prefer the smaller ships, and with the sale of the triplets, Seabourn has edged off the table for me as their current ships are too large for my taste. I don't think I would care to sail solo on a line where I don't have the option to join up with new-found friends for dinner.

Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever option you choose.

Bechi

I haven't been on Seabourn (yet!) but have sailed on Crystal several times and loved it. A big plus for me is their solo fares are not double for ocean view and veranda cabins. I last paid 145% supplement for a veranda cabin a year ago. Ocean view are a lower single supplement, around 130-135% but the larger penthouse and suites are 200%, I believe. On my Alaska cruise last year, the per diem on Crystal was approximately the same as a per diem on HAL for the nearly same itinerary when I factor in the daily service charges, drinks, specialty restaurants which are extra on HAL.

How did they handle getting you good table mates? My fear is my dinner reservation. Do they have solo tables?

How receptive are other passengers to the solo passenger?

I've done 3 cruises solo with Crystal, and loved them.......I have 2 more booked for the coming years. I actually preferred the traditional dining seating and I am not at all looking forward to the open seating dining; I hope it will work out OK. As you can tell from the responses, we all want different things -- some people want the flexibility to dine with new-found friends, and others (like me) want the familiarity of traditional dining to avoid having to re-introduce myself each night to new people, and also to benefit from having the same waiters each night who will get to know what I like or don't like. I made several new friends on my last cruise who were not at my dinner table, and that was OK - they preferred to eat later, I preferred to eat earlier, and we still had lots of time to spend together. Sharing dinner wasn't a requirement.

With traditional dining, solos were usually given seats at a table with other solos, and I believe the Maitre D' sort of grouped them by age and hometown region. If the table was not to your liking, though, you could ask the Maitre D' to change tables -- either to a table where you know there is room (one cruise I met some nice people and they were seated at a table that had an empty place, so I asked to join them), or leave it to the Maitre D' to find you a table with there is a spare seat (often because of odd-numbered dining groups, such as a table for 8 with two couples and a group of 3). I've enjoyed my table mates on all 3 cruises, and on two of them I've made pen-pal friends I still keep in contact with. I'm not sure how things will go for solo passengers with the new dining setup.

While I'd love to try a Seabourne cruise, the cost for traveling solo with them is just too high for me - especially when I can get a great cruise on my schedule at an excellent value by traveling Crystal with just a 30% supplement. If I could travel last minute and so could take advantage of solo-rate sales it might be different, but with Crystal I get the same supplement on just about whatever cruise I want.

Edited by calliopecruiser
layout

• 3 weeks later...
I've done 3 cruises solo with Crystal, and loved them.......I have 2 more booked for the coming years. I actually preferred the traditional dining seating and I am not at all looking forward to the open seating dining; I hope it will work out OK. As you can tell from the responses, we all want different things -- some people want the flexibility to dine with new-found friends, and others (like me) want the familiarity of traditional dining to avoid having to re-introduce myself each night to new people, and also to benefit from having the same waiters each night who will get to know what I like or don't like. I made several new friends on my last cruise who were not at my dinner table, and that was OK - they preferred to eat later, I preferred to eat earlier, and we still had lots of time to spend together. Sharing dinner wasn't a requirement.

With traditional dining, solos were usually given seats at a table with other solos, and I believe the Maitre D' sort of grouped them by age and hometown region. If the table was not to your liking, though, you could ask the Maitre D' to change tables -- either to a table where you know there is room (one cruise I met some nice people and they were seated at a table that had an empty place, so I asked to join them), or leave it to the Maitre D' to find you a table with there is a spare seat (often because of odd-numbered dining groups, such as a table for 8 with two couples and a group of 3). I've enjoyed my table mates on all 3 cruises, and on two of them I've made pen-pal friends I still keep in contact with. I'm not sure how things will go for solo passengers with the new dining setup.

While I'd love to try a Seabourne cruise, the cost for traveling solo with them is just too high for me - especially when I can get a great cruise on my schedule at an excellent value by traveling Crystal with just a 30% supplement. If I could travel last minute and so could take advantage of solo-rate sales it might be different, but with Crystal I get the same supplement on just about whatever cruise I want.

Seabourn Quest have some good solo deals around the Caribbean at the moment.Iv booked a long trip Miami - Buenos Aires balcony gty 24 nights in Nov £6,880 & new bees will get $400 obc with a referral, look on the Seabourn posts:)

Seabourn Quest have some good solo deals around the Caribbean at the moment.Iv booked a long trip Miami - Buenos Aires balcony gty 24 nights in Nov £6,880 & new bees will get $400 obc with a referral, look on the Seabourn posts:)

Sure everyone has sales occasionally, but their sales usually don't match my availability. That's why I stick with Crystal; their single supplement is pretty much the same in virtually every cruise, regardless of when or where I want to go. That good price isn't much good for me, if I can't go to the Caribbean in November (for example). Maybe when I'm retired and have more flexibility, I'll be able to branch out and try different lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anybody know how to find out good solo deals on Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania, Silversea... It looks like you always have to dig into their sites and then have to confirm with a Travel Agent. It would be so much more convenient if they warn you when they have a deal, a sort of mailing list to subscribe to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just returned home from a solo cruise on SILVERSEA......I know it is not the 2 you mentioned but it is in the same type of cruising........it was FABULOUS:D..........I had a FANTASTIC time and would highly recommend them:)

Hi, I just returned home from a solo cruise on SILVERSEA......I know it is not the 2 you mentioned but it is in the same type of cruising........it was FABULOUS:D..........I had a FANTASTIC time and would highly recommend them:)

Lois R,

Thanks for your post. What specifically did you enjoy? And, why in your opinion, of course, was the Silversea experience worth the cost?

Lois R,

Thanks for your post. What specifically did you enjoy? And, why in your opinion, of course, was the Silversea experience worth the cost?

I enjoyed it all:)...the ambiance of the ship, atmosphere, food, service, crew and staff.....size of the ship too. Why?

It was just a totally different experience from Mass Market (which I have been sailing for 14 years).The feeling on

board, just hard to describe on here but way less noise (way less people).....just overall, a calmer feel.......

Thank you, Lois R, for your response to my question. You've provided some food for thought. I appreciate it very much.

As you can see in my signature, only my two cruises aboard Royal Viking Sky were on a cruise line that then approximates today's Silverseas, Seabourn, etc. And, even then, the amenities offered were nowhere near what today's upper tier of cruise lines offer. I have enjoyed many cruises since my Royal Viking experiences (some much more than others, naturally). But, my Royal Viking memories are still "very special".

As I said, more food for thought have you provided me! Thanks again.

Edited by rkacruiser