Where is the best place to purchase pirate gear for my upcoming cruise

fla gang

Our family of 12 are going on the Dream and we would all like to dress up for pirate night. Wondering where to get pirate gear?

https://m.disneystore.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean/mn/1000042/

Yes, there is an actual pirate store in SF:

http://826valencia.org/store/

And don't forget "talk like a pirate day"

http://talklikeapirate.com/wordpress/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Our family of 12 are going on the Dream and we would all like to dress up for pirate night. Wondering where to get pirate gear?

I put together our own pirate gear.

For me a full mid-length black skirt (also doubles for formal nights), white peasant-style blouse, hoop earrings.

For my husband a white shirt (unbuttoned, of course), black slacks, pirate captain's hat (bought at Disneyland).

For our son (when he came) I got a pair of khaki pants from the thrift store and cut them off shorter (ragged edge). Plus a black & white mock turtleneck of mine. Made a rope belt, added a bandana and he's good to go.

It depends on what you want to wear and what you want to spend, as well as when you are cruising.

The really good looking, Jack Sparrow-like costumes are generally custom made by an expert seamstress. For more scaled down costumes, Target, on line, etc. Best time to buy is right after Halloween--Disney stores (and on line versions), Target, any costume store, etc. will be seriously marked down then. Eye patches, plastic swords, etc. are even at the dollar stores.

It is easy to do something on your own--striped t-shirt, black pants or skirt, scarves, eye patch, and you are good to go.

I don't have a sewing machine--did it all by hand, in a fit of domesticity--but I knew that Simplicity catalogs, at your local fabric store, have started embracing the new Convention Cosplay culture, and those who do have sewing machines can find some pretty darn good professional-level, licensed and non, knockoff Marvel/Who/Trek/Lucas/Tolkien/Pirates/Disney/etc. costumes to make in the home.

(Don't laugh: Grew up with a mom who was a quilting addict, and I was dragged along to stores to nod approval to swatches.)

I found one pattern that could be adapted to either a fairly darn good intentional Jack Sparrow or Will Turner, depending on the fabric and assembly, and had fun putting together the baggy shirt and vest.

http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-4923-mens-costumes/4923.html

I didn't feel confident enough to do the pants, but already had something simple enough.

You can do pretty well if everyone wears black or brown bottoms. A white t-shirt (hack the bottom hem up in a zig-zag with scissors.) Buy some red (or another colour) fabric and cut it into long strips, to give everyone a belt. Buy everyone a bandana to match the belt. If the belt and bandana are the same colour and everyone has them, it would be an awesome group picture. Ask the anyone with pierced ears to wear big gold hoops. If doesn't need to be over the top, just on theme.

• 1 month later...

Just found a bunch of pirate costumes reasonably priced on the Big Jungle (amazon) and ordered for my wife and i-- we are going to use them twice as we are on a DCL Halloween cruise out of SAN with GrandKids

• 4 weeks later...