Vahine Private Island Resort

doug52

So, this will be our first cruise in French Polynesia on the 11 day Cook Island cruise next May. And, I have been busy planning and researching for our best experience both on the cruise and a shore extension afterwards.

I had been looking to book the Hilton Moorea with an OWB (based on all the input from the vets here) and then I came upon the shore extension package for the Vahine Private Island resort while reviewing other options on the PG website. So, after speaking with PG, we have tentatively booked this resort for a 4 day stay after our cruise.

What interested me was:

-only 9 bungalows, 3 of which are OWBs

-private island, no cars, no noise, off the coast of Tahaa(this is NOT the Tahaa Island resort)

-rated one of the top 25 small luxury resorts in the World

-chef worked in France for a Michelin Star restaurant

-TripAdvisor reviews give glowing reports

-pricing includes a half board meal plan

-also includes a beach boy led activities daily such as snorkeling trips included

-really only extra expense would be drinks, and we do like to drink:D

So, I do have a question, when I do a search on CC and specifically on this PG thread, I don't find hardly any info at all?? And, it is not like this is Brando pricing, in fact when I add up all the extras I would pay by not going through PG to get the Hilton, it comes out about equal.

Am I missing something? I am not locked in yet, and we want to make a good decision.

All of you PG vets out there, can you provide any input from either your experience or others that have booked this shore extension through PG?

Thanks,

Doug

According to my DD, who is my in house travel consultant, this is a new addition to the PG stable. As you say it is well reviewed so do go and give us 'vets' your input!

While the Hilton Moorea is just a ferry ride away it has a small beach and can get crowded on weekends. If you enjoy your splendid isolation this may be the resort for you. Do kep in mind that there will be nowhere to go. W flt a bit like this on the 5 th day of our 5 day stay at the Thalasso. Not that there was nowhere to go but it was pricey to leave the resort at night.

According to my DD, who is my in house travel consultant, this is a new addition to the PG stable. As you say it is well reviewed so do go and give us 'vets' your input!

While the Hilton Moorea is just a ferry ride away it has a small beach and can get crowded on weekends. If you enjoy your splendid isolation this may be the resort for you. Do kep in mind that there will be nowhere to go. W flt a bit like this on the 5 th day of our 5 day stay at the Thalasso. Not that there was nowhere to go but it was pricey to leave the resort at night.

That's why I can't find anything on this resort, its new to PG! So, assuming we keep our plans, I will be happy to supply a report on this property next June.

And, I do appreciate the fact that we will be isolated. But, what a splendid isolation on an OWB, eating gourmet food and just relaxing after a very full cruise itinerary we plan to do. This will hopefully approach a true Polynesian experience with only 8 other couples at most with us on this island, and all of the employees of course.

Thanks,

Doug

I've studied this place several times and have sailed by it a few times. I do know the restaurant is causal but very good. There is good snorkeling on the north side. This is on my list of places to go to ;)

Great, thanks for the input. Casual but very good restaurant is perfect! And, apparently the beach boy meets with you each day with included excursions including a short boat ride to the snorkel area you highlighted on the map.

I have asked them whether we could do the drift snorkel by the Tahaa resort while there, so we could spend all day at Motu Mahana while on the cruise.

Doug

That's a pretty good haul; from Vahine but hopefully they will say yes ...

The beach boy does included excursions each day, but also can arrange lengthier ones to Tahaa island that would involve a cost. I saw the example of a trip to Tahaa to view the Vanilla plantations that would involve a cost. So, I am sure the drift snorkel being all the way around Tahaa would involve a cost. Might not be necessary to even do the Tahaa drift snorkel, as I read one TripAdvisor reviewer that indicated they did a drift snorkel around Vahine Island from the Vahine resort.

Doug