Nassau- what was your best "non-excursion"

Smcottrell87

I've already booked excursions on 2 out of 3 ports of call on our cruise in March 2018. We stopped by Nassau on our last cruise and were less than thrilled. I'm looking for some ideas of what we can do that isn't an excursion from the cruise line. We're already doing a beach day at CoCoCay so that's out. I really wanted to tour the city and explore but not in an enclosed vehicle. My husband wants to check out paradise island. And anything involving a boat is a plus for me. Any ideas? What experiences have you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the day we did tours of the Graycliff chocolate factory and John Watling's rum distillery was one of my favorite DIY Nassau days.

Here's a link to what we did:

http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2013/09/enchantment-day-2-nassau.html

Keep in mind that this was 4 years ago so some things might have changed since then. I think the distillery charges for the rum tasting now, for example. But it might give you some ideas, since you were interested in exploring. Both places are within walking distance.

My husband and I rented a scooter (I believe it was $60) and went down West Bay Street, stopped at the Poopdeck at Sandyport. Fabulous conch and strawberry daiquiris and we just hung out on their beach afterward (we werent into swimming) It was fabulous and we'd absolutely do it again

During a rainy day, DH and I walked up to the pirate museum, and when we were done there we waked across to the church, which is full of history about the island, and then we wandered in the pouring rain to the starbucks had coffee and wandered back to the ship. no crowds, we were on our own, and we learned things. not a bad inexpensive day at all.

I do believe that if you walk down to the bridge in front of where the ships dock, there is a water taxi that takes you over to paradise island. (your boat trip)

if you change your mind about beach, the trip out to blue lagoon is lovely.

I've already booked excursions on 2 out of 3 ports of call on our cruise in March 2018. We stopped by Nassau on our last cruise and were less than thrilled. I'm looking for some ideas of what we can do that isn't an excursion from the cruise line. We're already doing a beach day at CoCoCay so that's out. I really wanted to tour the city and explore but not in an enclosed vehicle. My husband wants to check out paradise island. And anything involving a boat is a plus for me. Any ideas? What experiences have you had?

You can take a water taxi to Paradise Island, https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147417-i131-k5831114-Getting_to_Atlantis_from_the_Cruise_Port-Paradise_Island_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html.

The cruise terminal is in downtown Nassau. I generally walk to the straw market - it occasionally burns down and they have to relocate to a new building :D. The public library is in an former colonial government building that is worth a few snapshots. There is a pirate museum. A little bit out of the downtown area is the Queen's Staircase, Fort Stanley, and the National Art Museum.

The Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle are cool little day trips, plus all of the stopping in between. I have enjoyed Cable Beach, although when I went we got a day pass at the Melia. But I know many people hop on the public bus like we did, Bus #10, and take the bus to Cable Beach, and lay out with their beach chairs for a couple hours, and come back into town for some drinks afterwards. I have also heard good things about Cabbage Beach, which other posters have mentioned. Nassau has such a terrible rep among repeat cruisers, but I think you can make a good day out of it, with or without an excursion. A bad day in Nassau will ALWAYS be better than a good day at work! :D

You might want to try a walk over to "Fish Fry" for lunch. It's about a 15-20 minute walk on West Bay St. Has a bunch of restaurants that specialize in all things conch. Last time we were there, we had lunch at Oh Andros. Terrific. Warning: portions are huge.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I rented a scooter (I believe it was $60) and went down West Bay Street, stopped at the Poopdeck at Sandyport. Fabulous conch and strawberry daiquiris and we just hung out on their beach afterward (we werent into swimming) It was fabulous and we'd absolutely do it again

Hi I will be in Nassau in November off of the Breakaway and I have mobility issues. You said you rented a scooter? Where did you do this? I was in Nassau before and did not get off the ship because just the walk 1/2 way to the straw market from the ship would do me in. I so want to do something this time around. Any help would be appreciated. I would even love to go to Atlantis but I know I couldn't unless I had a scooter.

Hi I will be in Nassau in November off of the Breakaway and I have mobility issues. You said you rented a scooter? Where did you do this? I was in Nassau before and did not get off the ship because just the walk 1/2 way to the straw market from the ship would do me in. I so want to do something this time around. Any help would be appreciated. I would even love to go to Atlantis but I know I couldn't unless I had a scooter.

It's not that kind of scooter. She was talking about those small motorcycles.

There is usually a shuttle that can drive people between the ships and the cruise terminal. That might be of some help.

• 4 weeks later...

Frommer's has a free walking tour and map. Very enjoyable and gives you highlights....

We just got back from Nassau after a cruise last week. I put together a walking tour that made a circle from the port to Queen's Staircase. The staircase was amazing and so beautiful. So glad we went there. We had about 10 other folks join us on the walk. The fort and views were wonderful and we felt very safe the whole time. We headed back to port by walking down the street that was really festive looking where the Drawbridge Bakery is located and turned right at the end of the road which took us past the police station then on to Government Square and around to the big catholic church. We went past this adorable Greek Orthodox Church with such beautiful wooden doors and ended near the British Colonial Hilton. Took us about 3 hours total to walk and we all were glad we did this. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for something inexpensive to do in Nassau to plan a walk. You can go to mapquest and it gives you the option to do walking directions. Just keep adding the places you want to walk past and it will plan your route.

We just got back from Nassau after a cruise last week. I put together a walking tour that made a circle from the port to Queen's Staircase. The staircase was amazing and so beautiful. So glad we went there. We had about 10 other folks join us on the walk. The fort and views were wonderful and we felt very safe the whole time. We headed back to port by walking down the street that was really festive looking where the Drawbridge Bakery is located and turned right at the end of the road which took us past the police station then on to Government Square and around to the big catholic church. We went past this adorable Greek Orthodox Church with such beautiful wooden doors and ended near the British Colonial Hilton. Took us about 3 hours total to walk and we all were glad we did this. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for something inexpensive to do in Nassau to plan a walk. You can go to mapquest and it gives you the option to do walking directions. Just keep adding the places you want to walk past and it will plan your route.

Do you still have a copy of that map? I'd like to look at the walking tour but don't know much about Nassau

This is a word doc that I also did and highlighted places to see along the way with a little history to go along. A couple of places like the Drawbridge Bakery are not on here cause we found them along the way. Neat little place to see. Also the Starbucks was just past the straw market so went there on the way back instead of before.

Half-Day Self-GuidedNassau Walking Tour

Places to see

Starbucks – Grabcoffee and muffin if you would like to walk with.

Parliament Square- The buildings in Parliament Square were constructed in 1815 by the Loyalists.They are modeled after buildings that are found in New Bern, the old capital ofNorth Carolina. These flamingo-pink government buildings are excellent examplesof the colonial architecture of old Nassau. The building to the right is theHouse of Assembly where parliamentary meetings are held. The Senate meetsupstairs in the center building and the building to the left houses the officeof the Leader of the Opposition. Queen Victoria's Statue, erected in 1905 fromfunds donated by the public who held her in high esteem, is in the front of theSenate building. Located at the back of the Senate building is the SupremeCourt which occupied this present building since 1921. This is where quarterlysessions of the Bahamas Superior Court and sessions of The Court of Appeal sit.Judges and lawyers are dressed in traditional British wigs and robes.

Queen’s Staircase- 102-ft - The Queen's Staircase,commonly referred to as the 66 steps, is a major landmark that is located inthe Fort Fincastle Historic Complex in Nassau. It was hewn out of solid limestonerock by slaves between 1793 and 1794 and it is said that it provided a directroute from Fort Fincastle to Nassau City. These steps were later named in honorof Queen Victoria, who reigned in Britain for 64 years from 1837 to 1901.

There are only 65 steps visible because the pathway thatleads to the steps was paved and the bottom step is buried under the asphalt.Great photo opportunity.

Fort Fincastle, ThisFort was constructed of cut limestone c. 1793 and strategically placed atopBennet's Hill to protect historic Nassau town and its harbour; it was builtunder the governorship of John Murray, also called Viscount Fincastle, in theshape of a paddle-wheel steamer.

Daily guided tours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Donationsappreciated.

Government House- Government House, located on a 10 acre estate, stands on Mount Fitzwilliamand is the official residence of the Governor General of The Bahamas. It datesback to 1801 and this imposing pink and white building on Duke Street is anexcellent example of the mingling of Bahamian-British and American Colonialarchitecture. The graceful columns and broad, circular driveway recall thestyles of Virginia and the Carolinas. In front of the building is the statue ofChristopher Columbus. This statue was imported from London in 1830 by GovernorJames Carmichael Smythe in honor of Columbus' Landfall at San Salvador in 1492.

St. Francis XavierCathedral, West St - Is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in theCommonwealth of The Bahamas. The cornerstoneof St. Francis Xavier Cathedral on West & West Hill Streets in Nassau, waslaid in 1885 under the supervision of the resident priest, Father John O'Keefe.The church was consecrated by the Archbishop of New York Michael A. Corrigan in1887.

St. Francis Xavier, the saint in whose honor the RomanCatholic Cathedral of the Bahamas is named, and the co-patron saint of theArchdiocese of Nassau, is considered among the greatest missionaries since theapostles. Known as the Apostle to the Far East, Xavier was born to an aristocraticfamily in the Basque region of Spain in April 1506. He died on the Island of Sancian near thecoast of China in December 1552, before having reached the age of 47.

Junkanoo Beach – Severaloptions for Lunch, spend some beach time or go back to the ship

The Nassau StrawMarket, Straw vending is considered one of the country's oldest industrieswith organized markets in Nassau, Cable Beach, Paradise Island and a number ofThe Family Islands. Stroll down to the famous native Straw Market where you canfind bustling activity with vendors who are willing to bargain withbuyers. Stay and shop or head back tothe ship.

Open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...