Sel de Mer v Pinnacle

luvn2cruzzz

Another vote for Sel de Mer. We were on the K'dam transatlantic last fall and ate there 5 times. We like French style food and were quite pleased with the quality and execution. Also loved the quiet ambience and the attentive but not intrusive service. And, to be fair, if you become a semi-regular at just about any restaurant, the staff will have a better chance to learn what you like and be better able to please you.

Thanks to everyone's responses, I think I am leaning towards Sel de Mer for our special celebration. We love Tamarind and already have that booked and can either pass on Pinnale or choose it for another time. I am hungry!

• 1 year later...

I've done Le Cirque several times, and was somewhat saddened to see Sel de Mer replace it (the Matre d Hotel on the Eurodam, whom I'd first met on the Oosterdam, told me they'd simply run the contract with Le C. out, and tasked their own corporate chef, Rudy, to develop something), but I will say I've enjoyed Sel de Mer very much. It's as much the food as the service; the waiter will de-bone your fish tableside (akin to doing delicate surgery) while you watch, and there's a host of other very high end touches. If you like seafood, you'll enjoy it very much - it's distressing that it's ala-carte vice fixed price, but....I suppose that's the cruise business trend these days..

We ate at Sel de Mer last year on the NA, and it was fine. I don't eat fish, so had the steak, but my husband said what he had was good. We've also eaten in the Pinnacle, and for me, I'd choose the Pinnacle again.

We have enjoyed the Sel de Mer pop-up on several ships and have not been disappointed. I always get the lobster entree and DH always has the catch of the day. It has become our "special" dinner on each cruise - we order champagne and make it a real event. I hope you enjoy it!

I do recommend asking what seafood is fresh in the Sel de Mer on Koningsdam. We found some of the items not so good (we ate there 5 times in January), like the mussels, which had been vacuum packed, evidently. A lot were closed, and I didn't like that they had not removed them.

When we went to the Sel de Mer "pop-ups" on Prinsendam and Zaandam, we knew to ask what was fresh, and they were excellent.

We ate at the pop up SDM twice on N Amersterdam, on a back to back cruise. We really enjoyed it. We also used to like Le Cirque.

The bouillabaisse appetizer was exceptionally good, IMHO, as was the dover sole. It's a seafood heavy menu, so it wont appeal to everyone.

If you like the menu, I'd say try it. If you only have one special meal, and are more steak, potatoes, veggie, you cant go wrong with the Pinnacle either.

I just got back from the Iberian Adventure on the Konigsdam. We enjoyed the separate Sel de Mer dining room. Totally different vibe than the Pinnacle Grill. More intimate. If you like the piano player in the lounge a table near the entrance would be in order. Sole was good. We were just spoiled as we found a seafood restaurant in Amsterdam Seafood Bar that was truly excellent so it was difficult for SDM to stand up. Service was excellent. Quiet vibe.

Our dinners in Pinnacle were excellent and the noise level and service is perfect for a celebration dinner. We also did the De Libraige (spelling tortured) as the pop up. I am a real foodie but I wouldn't return. Food too fussy for me Three Star Michelin chef planned meal.

Many positive comments on Tamarind let us to make 2 reservations there. Our first night we had fried soft shell crab which was perfect. My friend has the stir-fried lobster and it was excellent. My pork belly was wonderful also. On return it was a totally different about 6 nights later. The soft crab was terribly fishy for both of us. My friends re-order of lobster was flavorless and texture like it was recooked. My filet was just average. If you like seafood and Tamarind go early in the cruise is all I can recommend.

Will be sailing on the Konigsdam and trying to decide between the Pinnacle and Sel de Mer for our anniversary dinner. Have dined in the Pinnacle many times but the Sel de Mer will be new to us. Thoughts, please.

The Sel De Mer on the Koningsdam is an ala carte menu and can be quite pricey. I would recommend the Pinnacle where you can get a lobster tail or king crab legs (if seafood is your preference). Although the 12oz lobster tail is an additional $20 upcharge. But my favorite restaurant is actually the Tamarind! I would recommend that over both Sel De Mer and Pinnacle! Great views, great service, and incredible food!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sel de Mer is being offered twice on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise - once when we're in Toulon. Seems odd to me that HAL is offering a $50 upsell French restaurant on the evening when passengers will have had the opportunity to have the real deal during the day.

Sel de Mer is being offered twice on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise - once when we're in Toulon. Seems odd to me that HAL is offering a $50 upsell French restaurant on the evening when passengers will have had the opportunity to have the real deal during the day.

That would be the Sel de Mer “pop up” which is slightly different than the Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam which is a permanent restaurant in addition to the Pinnacle Grill. But I understand your comment and we initially felt the same way, but we were so pleased that we went to the Sel de Mer pop-up on our recent Mediterranean cruise. It was excellent! And in conversations with the Matre’d, they get the freshest seafood when we’re in port, so you are getting the “real deal” on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would be the Sel de Mer “pop up” which is slightly different than the Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam which is a permanent restaurant in addition to the Pinnacle Grill. But I understand your comment and we initially felt the same way, but we were so pleased that we went to the Sel de Mer pop-up on our recent Mediterranean cruise. It was excellent! And in conversations with the Matre’d, they get the freshest seafood when we’re in port, so you are getting the “real deal” on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your right, it is taking over the Pinnacle Grill. I'd be interested to know if it's a $50 mark-up in the permanent restaurant. Seems quite a steep price hike. I understand that people are different, it's not for me though, would much rather spend that money ashore in a French restaurant.