New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Is there any advantage to buying the internet package before the cruise? If I wait until I'm onboard I can use my OBC to purchase the internet package, correct?

You can only by the internet package while on board by opening your browser, connecting to the HAL ship website, and choosing how you wish to pay for the internet service.

KroozNut, Sorry HAL no longer has trays in the Lido. I have seen people bring their own. If I wanted to bring food back to the cabin I might use the tray under the ice bucket in the cabin but it is small. I would just order room service if I wanted to eat in the cabin. You can order from the MDR menu for the the first hour it is open and set the time to deliver the food to your cabin. Just thought there is really no place for a tray as you are walking along the serving tables in the Lido.

Thanks for the insight, quite a bit different that what we're used to on the other lines, but in a good way! :)

We are first timers sailing the NA to Alaska tomorrow (nothing like last minute preparation), and I just have a few questions about things I've been confused about. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

-The Explore4 package - includes the drink package. Is this 15 drinks per person on the package or per cabin? And does that include soda as well as alcoholic beverages? I'm wondering if I should even budget for drinks as that seems plenty. Are drinks you consume from the mini bar included? How about in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

-On board expenses - I understand they will put $60pp/per day on hold, so for a 7-day cruise that's about $960 because they're actually holding for 8 days, is that correct? So will they only put additional authorizations on hold if we've exceeded that initial $960? Also, if I understand correctly the gratuities will be charged to the account so will that come out of the $960? I'm concerned about the limit on my card because we booked a dog sledding excursion which was a little over $1000 which was cancelled yesterday, and I had to scramble to find another company that offered it and they charged $1200. In the meantime, still waiting for that $1000 from the original booking to be refunded so that was a good chunk of my available funds on my card unexpectedly used. Besides the gratuities are there any other expenses onboard that will automatically be charged to the account?

-Is it customary to still offer cash tips in addition to the automatic gratuity or is that not expected?

-Are there wine glasses to use in room for the 2 bottles of wine we're allowed to bring on or would I have to pack that?

-Pools/hot tubs - warm enough for Alaska??

Edited by RubySlippers102

The two adults on the booking would each have Explore 4, so each can have up to 15 drinks (alcoholic or not, including soda and specialty coffees) per day.

The $60 pp/pd hold will be for the 7 days of your cruise, and will not be applied to your credit card until you check in at the pier. You must have enough credit on your card available for this hold, or put up cash to cover anticipated expenses. This is a reserve against your available credit. If you charge more than HAL has held, they could put an additional hold on your card.

At the end of the cruise, whatever amount you actually owe will be charged to your card.

You may extend cash tips to crew if you choose to, so long as you have not reduced or removed the Hotel Service Charge. Some people do extend additional tips, while others don't. It's strictly up to you.

Your cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam should have glassware. On some ships the inside and outside cabins do not, but if your cabin has a fridge (on the NA, it does), it should have glassware, too.

The hot tubs are definitely warm enough in Alaska. The pools, especially the indoor pools, can be on some days.

Your cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam should have glassware. On some ships the inside and outside cabins do not, but if your cabin has a fridge (on the NA, it does), it should have glassware, too.

Ruth, do you know if Vista Class inside cabins have glassware? Sailing on Oosterdam next month and like to enjoy a glass of wine (or two) in the cabin before dinner.

Thanks!

They allow a bottle of wine pp. Not having wine glasses would be a major oversight by HAL.

We got the Sig Bev pkgs, so decided to forgo bringing 2 bottles. 15 drinks per day is plenty. I'm sure we'll also do daily water, smoothies, and numerous premium coffees. At $52, including pre-paid tip, I'll break even at 6 Makers. If the bartender was personable and professional, I'll throw down a few bucks when we leave. Otherwise, he's already been tipped. What I'm not so sure of is, do I still sign his receipt, and just leave the tip spot blank? Or, because I have a package(and my drink and tip are pre-paid), do I not get a receipt at all? Do I have to keep track of drinks obtained per day, toward my limit?

You can also buy the package first day aboard, I read.

They also hold $13.50/day($15 for the suites) as a tip for the stewards, waitstaff, and all the other crew we don't see or interact with. Again, I believe it does not cover the bartenders. I'm unsure about those who bring room service meals, but I'm leaning towards tipping them, until I find out otherwise.

As for my stewards, I'll determine any tips, when the envelope shows up.

This is all I understand as of now, but I still have a week to tweak things.

Edited by cruisePack842
clarity

Ruth, do you know if Vista Class inside cabins have glassware? Sailing on Oosterdam next month and like to enjoy a glass of wine (or two) in the cabin before dinner.

Thanks!

They should. You should find glassware in every cabin on every ship that has a fridge. It is only the inside and outside cabins on the four R-class ships and two S-class ships that don't have a mini-bar, so don't have glassware.

They should. You should find glassware in every cabin on every ship that has a fridge. It is only the inside and outside cabins on the four R-class ships and two S-class ships that don't have a mini-bar, so don't have glassware.

What, no glasses in cabins without fridges? Do they even supply ice ? What are passengers supposed to drink out of? Won't the cabin attendants bring glasses - water, wine, etc. - if requested?

I understand they will put $60pp/per day on hold, so for a 7-day cruise that's about $960 because they're actually holding for 8 days, is that correct?

Do they put a $60 pp/pd hold on your credit card for a long cruise also? What if you sail for 80 days? That would be more credit than I would want to tie up!

What, no glasses in cabins without fridges? Do they even supply ice ? What are passengers supposed to drink out of? Won't the cabin attendants bring glasses - water, wine, etc. - if requested?

Never fear, if they are not there, they will be brought upon request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I wasn't clear. There are no stemware glasses in the cabins with no fridge. There is an ice bucket (replenished twice a day), and two water tumblers on a tray. There are also two smaller glasses (old fashioned size) in the bathroom. Soda cans are on the desktop by the ice bucket.

If you want a wine glass, just ask, and I am sure your request will be honored. I have never done it, but I am also not used to hearing "no" to any reasonable request, and stemware is reasonable (imo).

Do they put a $60 pp/pd hold on your credit card for a long cruise also? What if you sail for 80 days? That would be more credit than I would want to tie up!

On longer cruises (I believe it is either 28 days, or 29 days, and up), the hold is $30 per person/day.

Back to the wine glasses.........I'm sure if you ask the room attendant, they'd be happy to get you some. Just a word of caution, one of our cruises we hit some terrible waves and the glasses fell and broke. Totally our fault fornot securing them, but a lesson learned.

Can someone explain the laundry options on the Westerdam? We are cruising on a 16 day Panama Canal cruise that I will be boarding immediately after a 1 week stay at the Houston Quilt Festival, which will be 2 days after a week in California - so need to plan clothing carefully. One of the posts I have read makes me think I can pre purchase a laundry package, but I can't find anything on the HAL website. Thanks!

Can someone explain the laundry options on the Westerdam?

Hand wash in the sink, and hang to dry on the line in the tub/shower.

Send laundry out and

1.) pay by the piece (very expensive), or

2.) pay by the bag ($20/bag on your cruise), or

3.) purchase an unlimited plan ($7 times the number of days in your cruise).

You can purchase the unlimited on the ship by marking the invoice that you include in the laundry bag.

I'm thinking about booking a cruise on the Volendam. I understand they have a self serve laundromat. Can you buy detergent on board? Do they also offer the $20 bag to send out?

All the ships have the laundry packages, although the per bag and unlimited prices can vary. Usually on the European itineraries they are a little higher.

Yes, the Volendam has a self-service laundry. Detergent is provided at no charge. It is a special, marine-friendly detergent and should be the only kind used.

Do bring your own dryer sheets, if you use them.

All the ships have the laundry packages, although the per bag and unlimited prices can vary. Usually on the European itineraries they are a little higher.

Yes, the Volendam has a self-service laundry. Detergent is provided at no charge. It is a special, marine-friendly detergent and should be the only kind used.

Do bring your own dryer sheets, if you use them.

Not understanding "marine-friendly detergent". Is the resulting "grey water" dumped at sea?

Not understanding "marine-friendly detergent". Is the resulting "grey water" dumped at sea?

Any water dumped at sea is treated before dumping. There are strict standards that have to be met, plus strict distances from shore that have to be observed.

Attend the Environmental Officer's presentation and you will be amazed at the care that is taken to be sure the oceans are polluted.

HAL thinks of everything. VISTA class is wonderful. Yes fridge a d glasses in room. Self laundry not recommened too much drama. Bag laundry is greatest. A 20.00 bill to your room steward whe. You board will have your steward paying extra attention to you during the entire cruise. I like to give gratuities at the end of the cruise. I'd really like to see a breakdown of what the ships gratituites go . I hate to think we are p

aying all the wages for the crew