Costa Maya Mayan Experience w/Host Family Lunch in Home/Village

Cruisingfor40

I am thinking of doing this excursion with my family of three when we are in Costa Maya in October. Has anyone done this? ShoreExcursioneer has it cheaper than Shore Excurions Group. It definitely is the same excursion. I read reviews on the sites, and they were AMAZING, but wondered if anyone here has first-hand experience. This would be something out of the norm for us, but sounds like a perfect addition to our zipping, parasailing, beaching, chillaxing, animal sanctuary schedule. clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Can't opine on the excursion itself, but both are middlemen working with smaller local vendors. As I recall from reading other posts, SEGroup requires all $ up front and SE asks for a deposit with the rest being paid to the vendor when you meet up. I have read that SEGroup is reluctant to provide refunds and does cancel excursions close to the date leaving you with out an excursion you've paid for.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Mayan Experience with Native Choice last year and loved all of it. The ruins are interesting and an expert guide accompanied us on the walking tour of the ruins as well as our guide from the company. The drive is long, however, about an hour, but the van is cool and comfortable. Our company guide was knowledgeable and interesting. The Mayan site has a small shopping area,. clean restrooms, and a place to buy a cool drink.

After the ruins visit we were taken to a Mayan home in a local village for a wonderful meal and a fun afternoon. We made our own tortillas over an open fire, ate a yummy and well prepared meal, had American-style restrooms, visited a typical Mayan home, and all ingredients of our meal were locally grown and sourced, many from the family's own gardens. The ladies who cooked for us do excellent embroidery and sell some of their items.

Go with Native Choice..professional, well-prepared and no worries.

We did the Mayan Experience with Native Choice last year and loved all of it. The ruins are interesting and an expert guide accompanied us on the walking tour of the ruins as well as our guide from the company. The drive is long, however, about an hour, but the van is cool and comfortable. Our company guide was knowledgeable and interesting. The Mayan site has a small shopping area,. clean restrooms, and a place to buy a cool drink.

After the ruins visit we were taken to a Mayan home in a local village for a wonderful meal and a fun afternoon. We made our own tortillas over an open fire, ate a yummy and well prepared meal, had American-style restrooms, visited a typical Mayan home, and all ingredients of our meal were locally grown and sourced, many from the family's own gardens. The ladies who cooked for us do excellent embroidery and sell some of their items.

Go with Native Choice..professional, well-prepared and no worries.

Thank you!! I booked the excursion with Native Choice, and I am very excited after your detailed review!

Hi. We just did this at the beginning of August and it was amazing! I wrote a review and have pictures and more description of the whole experience ....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2533241

There is one home that they go to and we had about 20 people or so on our tour. The food was awesome. One of our best excursions and I highly recommend it.

We did the Mayan Experience with Native Choice a few years ago. It was awesome. The ride while long was great as out tour guide shared the local history and Mayan History. My then 11 yo son even enjoyed it. One of the best cruise excursions. You will not regret it.

• 6 months later...