Terror in Barcelona

Woobstr112G

Very sad, we have been to Barcelona many times... going again in October, taking the Royal on the 14 day TA back to Florida.... watching what is going in Europe in general, we decided stay two days in advance at the Hiltin Diagonal Mar... which is off the beaten path on the far side of Barcelona from the airport. We try to avoid crowds generally in all ports, especially now in Europe. We take taxis no public transportation. We have been traveling throughout the Mediterranean for many years... know we all have to stay alert, the world is a dangerous place... no matter where you are, can't stay home but must try to stay safe as possible.

Very sorry to hear about the attack in Barcelona. The terrorists hit areas with a lot of people to maximize their reign of terror. They can't get what they want by other means so they have terror as their only weapon. It happens in Barcelona, London and Charlottesville, VA. There are many terrorist groups in this world that require us to maintain our vigilance but we should be wary all the time anyway. I am hearing that they caught the perps and I imagine they will be looking for any accomplices. It might be a good time to go to Barcelona as security will most likely be on high alert for awhile.

I am in and out of there quite often. I am amazed that they still allowed traffic anywhere near there these days. Thousands of pedestrians.

Its wide open. I hope it's changed now.

They definitely need to do something.....

Bob

We're suppose to be there in 3 weeks leaving on the Royal. Little scared now. :o

So are we, sounds like we're on the same cruise.

I refuse to let it scare me. Things like that can happen anywhere. What will be, will be!

Princess FB Forum two hours ago...TUI Discovery 2 (ex-Legend of the Seas) is still in port. She was due to depart at 6pm local time and it is now 8:40pm local which would indicate that not all passengers and crew are accounted for - they may be held up in heavy traffic with road closures etc. All other ships, Aida Aura, Britannia and Brilliance of the Seas have sailed with all passengers and crew on board. This was yesterday evening on one of the ship's crew forums....

Pickpockets are more of a danger on Las Ramblas than terrorists. Sadly Some places in Spain are very anti tourist at the moment. One sign said Tourists out, Refugees welcome. Wonder if that will change now.

Why do you think that is? The anti-tourist part? I had a great time in Spain, two years ago, on the Emerald's Transatlantic. Four ports in Spain. Had a wonderful time using my school Spanish. People were very nice to me.

Sadly Some places in Spain are very anti tourist at the moment.

I rather suspect that is because, whilst tourists are good for the economy, in places not entirely dependent on tourism (and that would include Barcelona - where the photograph was taken), too many tourists results in a adverse effect on the lives of ordinary citizens who have no connection to the tourist industry and the increasing size of cruise ships simply exacerbates the problem.

Before we cruised we used to take beach holidays in the Caribbean, and everyone was always very much aware of the fact that cruise ships passengers took over the islands for just a few hours during which time the whole character of the island changed before returning to normal as soon as the 'cruise ship invasion' ended.

Similarly, although cruise ships are very welcome in Southampton, this weekend there are TEN cruise ships in the port, with 55,000 people arriving and departing, and because there is also a soccer match, attended by over 30,000, local residents, most of whom have no connection to the cruise industry, have been warned about the risk of congestion in the town.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-40974792

I stress that no-one in Southampton appears to be complaining about this as people appreciate the contribution to the local economy. The article is not anti-cruise ship, and is nothing more than advisory information for local residents about increased difficulty of getting around town this weekend, but it does highlight the fact that lots of tourists do have an adverse impact on the lives of ordinary local residents.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We were on the last med cruise on Crown, a couple of weeks back, I was amazed they did not have the barriers in place at the top of the Ramblas. although the police presence was very high. on all our Italian stops, the army was on the streets, anti vehicle barriers in place, no vehicles other than buses allowed near the main tourist sites. Marseille had barriers too as did Gibraltar. Italy was a level above this though. Have to say it was very very busy in Barcelona, and my heart broke on the news pictures from the city.

A 7-year-old Australian boy is still missing. He was there with his mother who is badly injured and in hospital. The young boy's father is flying from Australia to be with his wife and try to find his son. Please say a prayer for this young boy and his family (if it is within your beliefs). If it isn't, please just wish them well.

A 7-year-old Australian boy is still missing. He was there with his mother who is badly injured and in hospital. The young boy's father is flying from Australia to be with his wife and try to find his son. Please say a prayer for this young boy and his family (if it is within your beliefs). If it isn't, please just wish them well.

Most definitely in all our thoughts.

All very strange, as he thankfully doesn't appear to among the injured or dead.

Hopefully he is walking around traumatised after seeing his mother injured in such a horrific, but that he still safe although very vulnerable particularly as he is in a foreign country and probably doesn't speak the language.

Hopefully better news today.

I rather suspect that is because, whilst tourists are good for the economy, in places not entirely dependent on tourism (and that would include Barcelona - where the photograph was taken), too many tourists results in a adverse effect on the lives of ordinary citizens who have no connection to the tourist industry and the increasing size of cruise ships simply exacerbates the problem.

Before we cruised we used to take beach holidays in the Caribbean, and everyone was always very much aware of the fact that cruise ships passengers took over the islands for just a few hours during which time the whole character of the island changed before returning to normal as soon as the 'cruise ship invasion' ended.

Similarly, although cruise ships are very welcome in Southampton, this weekend there are TEN cruise ships in the port, with 55,000 people arriving and departing, and because there is also a soccer match, attended by over 30,000, local residents, most of whom have no connection to the cruise industry, have been warned about the risk of congestion in the town.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-40974792

I stress that no-one in Southampton appears to be complaining about this as people appreciate the contribution to the local economy. The article is not anti-cruise ship, and is nothing more than advisory information for local residents about increased difficulty of getting around town this weekend, but it does highlight the fact that lots of tourists do have an adverse impact on the lives of ordinary local residents.

Very understandable. Thanks for the clear thoughts.

In our upcoming cruise from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale, the ship stops in NY. We were going to take the Brooklyn Bridge excursion and have decided against it. I don't care to get mowed down by a car or truck on the bridge. Walking tours will be out for us as well, especially in Boston. Groups of people are the target, I won't be wearing one on my back. Our plan is to avoid crowds in a big city, and yeah I know I could get killed any where, but I don't live in a big city or even near one, so I'll take my chances going shopping today for groceries.

It is beyond the past and current events - yesterday in Finland, a muslim/islamic terrorist focused on FEMALE only victims and injured over 6 ladies. The loser was from Morrocco.

Likely in the US you were not informed of this given your biased media - we were well informed of this via Canadian media and via the BBC.

This is serious business and will significantly impact the cost of travel and the use of taxpayer $. I am not amused in the least and not indulgent of this garbage activity.

So sad about what happened in Barcelona. It is our favorite city. The American man who lost his life who was on his honeymoon is from our region, one town away. His wife works at the school where we grew up. This has hit those in our community rather hard. It's just shocking.

Likely in the US you were not informed of this given your biased media - we were well informed of this via Canadian media and via the BBC.

You mean like this news source?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/19/world/europe/turku-finland-attack.html

Or this one?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/19/latest-finland-turku-knife-attack-is-likely-terror-act.html

Trust me, integrity in journalism still exists in the US, and I am getting pretty weary of hearing that it doesn't.

Sadly not missing anymore :loudcry:

In our upcoming cruise from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale, the ship stops in NY. We were going to take the Brooklyn Bridge excursion and have decided against it. I don't care to get mowed down by a car or truck on the bridge. Walking tours will be out for us as well, especially in Boston. Groups of people are the target, I won't be wearing one on my back. Our plan is to avoid crowds in a big city, and yeah I know I could get killed any where, but I don't live in a big city or even near one, so I'll take my chances going shopping today for groceries.

Be more concerned about bikes, cars are traveling below you on the Brooklyn Bridge, you should have not worries of being mowed down.

Edited by land lover

You mean like this news source?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/19/world/europe/turku-finland-attack.html

Or this one?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/19/latest-finland-turku-knife-attack-is-likely-terror-act.html

Trust me, integrity in journalism still exists in the US, and I am getting pretty weary of hearing that it doesn't.

Hahahahahahaha surely you jest.

Americans probably have more sources of information that most countries from a wide variety of news and media outlets.....it's not the messengers that are the problem but how people in the US process the information they receive......one side believes in peace and the other believes in hate and neither side will probably ever believe the other again.....kinda of like Carnival vs Princess when it is brought up on these boards....:cool:

it's not the messengers that are the problem but how people in the US process the information they receive:

Google Robert Leroy Mercer for an interesting insight in the problem of how people in the US process the information they receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree........

We will be there next month and again in October. :)

I just gotta convince DW to let me book another T/A. After 6 (4 Western Med/2 Norway Iceland) it's extremely hard getting her to allow me to feed my T/A addiction.....:):):)

Bob