Some Misc. Questions about the Volendam

comcox

I have some miscellaneous questions for anyone who has recently sailed on the Volendam.

Is there still a library on the ship with a good selection of novels?

What hours is the fitness center open?

What hours are the pools open?

Do they still show movies in the Wajang Theatre? If so, were they fairly recent releases?

Are they still offering Microsoft classes on board?

Thanks for any info.

There is a library however I don't know if there were many novels as I was more interested in the travel books.

The fitness centre hours are 6am to 9pm.

The pools hours are 7am to 10pm.

The movies in the treater were recent.

There were four digital workshop classes held each day on a variety of subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Comcox, have you thought about getting an e-reader for the trip? Or, if you have a tablet, downloading the Kindle app? There are many books you can read for free using the Kindle app or an e-reader, and many libraries have e-books you can check out like you would a physical book.

You might be one that just prefers a physical book, but I always like mentioning the option because you can bring as many books as you want with an e-reader or tablet and never have to deal with not having something to read when you want to.

You can pick up e-readers pretty inexpensively now, and if you like laying by the pool to read, e-readers are best for that because you will still be able to see the screen in sunlight.

Anyway, just wanted to toss this out there for your consideration. ;)

I have some miscellaneous questions for anyone who has recently sailed on the Volendam.

We sailed on Volendam in December 2016. I can vouch for the large selection of novels available in the library area. Although there is no librarian ( and it felt pretty weird to just walk away with a book under my arm), the books are neatly displayed and sorted. I found the selection to be quite good.

I also travel with an ereader, but sometimes just want to browse another collection!

She is a wonderful ship - lovely, just the right size. With all the old formalities one associated with HAL cruising.

One problem is the movie theater ( also the culinary set up) does not have a lot of good sight lines for movies, and impossible if there are sub-titles. Go early and grab the best seats in the center, where no one tall will be sitting in front of you.

Thanks everyone for the info. I do have a tablet but just do not enjoy reading that way--I'm a confirmed paper reader I'm afraid.

I haven't taken to e-readers either, but for cruises I love audio books on my little iPod - I get the books downloaded for free from my public library.

What I like best is I can lay out, lounge, close my eyes or people watch while still enjoy my "reading" adventures at sea. Losing my place, if I doze off is the one great disadvantage.

What I like best is I can lay out, lounge, close my eyes or people watch while still enjoy my "reading" adventures at sea. Losing my place, if I doze off is the one great disadvantage.

What a great idea! I never thought of doing that.

Wouldn't it be great if they came up with a way for the audio to stop playing the minute it sensed you were asleep? I'm sure someone will come up with something like that next. ;)

What a great idea! I never thought of doing that.

Wouldn't it be great if they came up with a way for the audio to stop playing the minute it sensed you were asleep? I'm sure someone will come up with something like that next. ;)

Good thing at my age my short-term memory is getting so bad, I can start all over again and not even notice. :loudcry: Plus a good book is often well worth reading .....more than once.

• 5 months later...
Does this ship have self service laundry or do you send it out for them to do?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes the Volendam has a self service laundry. Here are some photos I took last October.

4b18fc9eed23a722f8ab2ab811d60fd8.jpgf4fbb533bbbd39614373e054f9c7ebdd.jpg34932cd6a5f6ce3d10dcb099b46fd5ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Volendam's self service laundry was packed on gala night afternoon, mainly waiting for irons. For $20 you can send out as much as you can pack in a cloth laundry bag and it will come back washed and presssed. The library had all kinds of books and was a nice size place connected to the Explorers Lounge with the specialty coffees.

Are any of the labs on HAL geared to Apple products. I use my iPad when I travel and only have an iMac at home.

Louise

Only Microsoft laptops. I am sure it is because both are in Seattle and got a good deal from Microsoft. You would have to sail Celebrity, I believe, for Apple Products.

Is the internet still priced at 100 minutes for $55 and other per minute rates? Thanks for answering.

100 minutes was still $55 when we sailed on HAL in May. If you are a five star mariner, the price is half that.

100 minutes was still $55 when we sailed on HAL in May. If you are a five star mariner, the price is half that.

Thanks. Sounds good since we each can get the 5 star rate for each of the two sections we are aboard this fall - with you I believe.

Does this ship have self service laundry or do you send it out for them to do?

Yes, there is a self-service laundry as others have said, but there used to be more laundries than there are now. We were on the Volendam (lovely ship) last October for a month, Vancouver to Hong Kong, and we would pack as much as possible into a laundry bag and send it out - not very expensive either. We walked past the self-service laundry one day and it was very busy.