Hong Kong Symphony of Lights from cruise ship?

nedfree1

We will be docked overnight in Hong Kong on the Legend of the Seas on Sept. 16. As stated above, can we see the Symphony of Lights from the ship? Can you get the FM station on an MP3 player and view/listen simultaneously? If we can see it from the ship, then we won't have to do the harbor cruise the next night (we are flying home the morning of the 18th.)

Thanks!

Oh, yes, where exactly do we dock?

Cruise terminal is as Paul's reply, right on the tip of the peninsula of Tsim Sha Tsui, on the western side of the Star Ferry terminal. It runs parallel to the harbour, and with cruise ships berthed either side of the terminal. So both the ship/s on the harbour side and the terminal itself block the view from the ship/s behind.

Very clear on google map, and you can see 3 cruise ships berthed there on Google Earth.

Sometimes cruise ships berth elsewhere, away from the main harbour so transport is required to reach downtown.

So its not possible to tell you whether you'll have a view.

Have watched the laser show without & with music. It does make a huge difference.

But you can watch it from anywhere along the harbourfront.

John Bull

Being a Hong Kong native but have left Hong Kong for 25 years, I do not know anything about Hong Kong Symphony of Lights. Thanks to you guys I will have the opportunity to experience it myself since I will be there September 18.

The link below talks about music and narration.

http://www.tourism.gov.hk/symphony/english/details/details.html

The link doesn't specify the dates. Is it a nightly event for the fall and winter or the year round?

I would suggest the best sighting location is Harbor Front in Tsim Sha Tsui East. If Legend of the Seas docks at Harbor Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui, that's another perfect location. If it docks at the container terminal in Kwai Chung, you may want to take the subway to Tsim Sha Tsui East.

I do not consider the Hong Kong Island a good location.

Edited by Peelboy
aaa

The link doesn't specify the dates. Is it a nightly event for the fall and winter or the year round?

I would suggest the best sighting location is Harbor Front in Tsim Sha Tsui East. If Legend of the Seas docks at Harbor Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui, that's another perfect location. If it docks at the container terminal in Kwai Chung, you may want to take the subway to Tsim Sha Tsui East.

I do not consider the Hong Kong Island a good location.

Hi, Peelboy,

It's every night, 8pm, and I think its year-round.

It uses buildings both sides of the harbour, but I agree TST is the best side to watch from, and the waterfront "Avenue of Stars", just east of the cruise terminal/Star Ferry terminal is the best spot.

Or, of course, on the top deck of your ship with a cocktail in hand :)

JB

Hi JB,

I'll be arriving HK in April 2010 on Diamond Princess, any chance this huge ship has a chance to dock at Ocean Terminal? If not Ocean Terminal, have far is the commute to TST?

Spinglee

DP's berth as yet tba. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/trip-planner/images/cruise-schedule.pdf

But she's a regular visitor - might be worth asking over on the Princess forum.

JB

• 7 years later...

Hi,in October 2012,the Diamond Princess sailed away thru Victoria harbour when the lights started.We were right opposite the show.A unique experience.The captain said he had to get special permission to do it,whether that was hype,I dont know.Cheers,Brian.