Panama-port of Cristobal

Cristobal Pier does have shops....I didn't notice bars, tho....You aren't allowed to leave that area, and you really wouldn't want to be out and about on your own...it's not a very nice area. The "shops" are more like an 'under roof" straw marketplace....it's a fine way to kill some time looking about, but I didn't find anything I couldn't live without!

We stopped there a couple of times on HAL.

As said -- it is like a straw market -- the building is located in the freight area and you are not permitted to walk through the area. Tons of t-shirts for sale belts, etc.

There looked like there was a restaurant there one time -- closed up when we were there. Some people were sitting on a few chairs drinking beers -- don't know where they got them as we do not drink beer.

The facility that housed the market at the pier has been demolished and the port of Cristobal is a container port. For a number of years now, ships making partial transits have been calling at Colon instead. I believe the reason for the recent change of the Caribbean Princess's stop in Colon to Cristobal is to facilitate a more rapid return of the passengers who are shore excursions, therefore an earlier departure for the next port. Although the piers in Cristobal are only about 2 miles away from the pier in Colon, the Cristobal pier can be accessed more quickly after leaving the locks. Rather think this is all related to the issue of the Caribbean Princess not being able to make the necessary speed between some ports.

x277o7.jpg

Present Pier 6 is the one in the foreground...

53mglj.jpg