Marriott day pass for 7 Mile Beach?

doconnor4

Years ago we took a taxi to the Marriott and were able to use the beach there. Is this still an option? We just want a spot to relax on the beach and it seems every other cruise passenger will be at Tiki Beach or Royal Palms- just trying to find a quieter spot.

Unless you want access to their pool, there is no reason to need a "day pass" at all. All of the beaches are public....even in FRONT of the hotels! Just hop on the bus, and get off wherever you want. There are lounger/umbrella rentals all along the beach!

Historically hotel offerings of day passes seem to vary inversely with occupancy levels. In slow times with few hotel guests booking rooms the hotels are more open to selling a few day passes to cruise visitors. In peak times with high occupancy they are less likely to sell day passes, preferring to reserve their amenities for stay over guests.

While it is true that the beaches are public, even in front of hotels, this is only so from the edge of the water to the "mean high water mark" which is only the level the high tide reaches on an average day. Tides do not vary much in Cayman so there is only a VERY narrow strip of beach that is truly public under this law.

In short you can walk along the beach, and yes put down a towel, in the area where the water has packed the sand hard right along the edge of the water. Higher up the beach where your towel will stay dry and you are likely on private property.

Use of lounge chairs and other amenities of a hotel or other private property is, of course, subject to the private property owners' rules.

Edited by drew sailbum

Unless you want access to their pool *or any other facilities including restrooms and outdoor showers* is probably the way that should read.

Some hotels will do day passes, but it seems to vary depending on season, day of the week, who's working, the phase of the moon... :-) There doesn't seem to be a standard answer.

Sections without facilities, such as Cemetery or Governors Beaches, will have fewer crowds. Any sections with facilities will have more people. That's just the way of it unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am looking for a nice quiet relaxing day while in port at Grand Cayman. So far I've only found the Westin Grand Cayman through Resort for a Day, which looks perfect, but I've not booked it yet if there might be another option. I would rather pay a few dollars to feel welcome at the Resort. Any information on either pass would be wonderful. We're sailing next month.

• 11 months later...

Happy Chippy- would you mind sharing what you decided to do? My parents are headed there on a cruise and I'm trying to help them with things to do. For the grand cayman stop I thought a day pass at one of the resorts on seven mile beach would be perfect for them. Would like to know if this is an option and if anyone recommends this?

Happy Chippy- would you mind sharing what you decided to do? My parents are headed there on a cruise and I'm trying to help them with things to do. For the grand cayman stop I thought a day pass at one of the resorts on seven mile beach would be perfect for them. Would like to know if this is an option and if anyone recommends this?

The Westin option is over $200 for the day for 4 people, but it includes use of a room. No food or drinks, though. That's too pricey for me.

When we stayed at the Marriott a few years ago the beach was virtually nonexistent much of the day due to heavy erosion. We had to walk north to the condos situated between the Marriott and Royal Palms to enjoy the beach. Has there been any sand reclamation at the Marriott since?

For a quieter or non SMB experience we would consider renting a small car and making the 45 min drive to Rum Point or Kaibo if you're in port long enough. Perhaps a regular here (or you can contact the Kaibo property) can help with a question on the water from Camana Bay to Kaibo - eg, is there an option for you to taxi to Camana Bay and water taxi to Kaibo and save the drive back? We've never done that but have just read of the water taxi and am not sure if that's an option for day visitors to the island...

http://kaibo.ky/kaibomobile/about_kaibo_beach.php

• 7 months later...
Also interested in the Marriott Day pass - I understand it is a lesser 'known' spot so would not be as crowded? Has anyone tried to contact them to find out?

Ummm...the Marriott is one of the top hotels on the most tourist-y strip of beach in Grand Cayman. I'm not sure what you read that indicated it was less known, but I'm not sure that's correct.

Day passes at any of the hotels along Seven Mile Beach depend on many factors, and often aren't available at all, especially during high season when the hotel is full of stayover guests.

See Drew's post (#3 above) for details.

Older thread and I see no one ever answered my question - Has the beach been reclaimed at the Marriott and Comfort Suites? Also on the Camana Bay -> Kaibo water taxi question - can anyone answer that?

Froufie may be thinking it is not a typical day visitor (cruiser) destination since it's not discussed here as much as the beach clubs.

Older thread and I see no one ever answered my question - Has the beach been reclaimed at the Marriott and Comfort Suites? Also on the Camana Bay -> Kaibo water taxi question - can anyone answer that?

Froufie may be thinking it is not a typical day visitor (cruiser) destination since it's not discussed here as much as the beach clubs.

3 part answer here:

Beach erosion: We were there in March, and there were several rows of chairs on the beach in front of the Marriott/Comfort Suites, so the answer is probably yes - though I wasn't there when it was less. We go every few years, and the amount of sand seemed around the same as I remembered.

Crowds and passes: When we're there, always in high season, I walk on the beach almost every day. I would describe that both the Marriott and Royal Palms have been crowded on most days, with Royal Palms often slightly more crowded. To me, the only reason to go to the Marriott, if they allow it, is if you have children who want to use the pool. Royal Palms pool is adult only. Marriott pool is often pretty empty.

Water taxi from Camana Bay to Kaibo/Rum Point: We took it and it was great. Nice boat ride. You get off at Kaibo and they drive you in a van to Rum Point, then pick you up to go back. A great way to get to Rum Point if you don't want to drive. It may work for day visitors, depending on exactly when they're in port.

3 part answer here:

Beach erosion: We were there in March, and there were several rows of chairs on the beach in front of the Marriott/Comfort Suites, so the answer is probably yes - though I wasn't there when it was less. We go every few years, and the amount of sand seemed around the same as I remembered.

Crowds and passes: When we're there, always in high season, I walk on the beach almost every day. I would describe that both the Marriott and Royal Palms have been crowded on most days, with Royal Palms often slightly more crowded. To me, the only reason to go to the Marriott, if they allow it, is if you have children who want to use the pool. Royal Palms pool is adult only. Marriott pool is often pretty empty.

Water taxi from Camana Bay to Kaibo/Rum Point: We took it and it was great. Nice boat ride. You get off at Kaibo and they drive you in a van to Rum Point, then pick you up to go back. A great way to get to Rum Point if you don't want to drive. It may work for day visitors, depending on exactly when they're in port.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yes when were were there in Sept, 2012 the beach had been fully eroded and the stairway down to the beach was roped off. There was a little sand at low tide and the water was against the wall at high tide. So yes, they did reclaim the beach. Comfort Suites had piles of sand bags to protect the little sand they had left then. So agree that Marriott would be a good option IF they let you use the pool.

The water taxi is a good option for anyone in port long enough to take advantage then...

We took the last free Red Sail ferry from Safehaven Dock to Rum Point for the dinner which was exceptional. Wonderful free sunset sail and an excellent crew, and the lobster tail, filet, and pasta primavera were outstanding at RP. Try that next visit!

Thanks again for the reply!

We took the last free Red Sail ferry from Safehaven Dock to Rum Point for the dinner which was exceptional. Wonderful free sunset sail and an excellent crew, and the lobster tail, filet, and pasta primavera were outstanding at RP. Try that next visit!

We've thought about doing that trip. Glad to hear that the food was so good! Thanks for the recommendation. We'll have to try it, though not quite sure when that will be....

Of note, Cayman generally does not permit beach replenishment efforts. Any changes to the shoreline around the Marriott are of nature's doing. The wind and the sea giveth, and the wind and the sea taketh away.

The broad trend is that wintertime nor'westers move sand south along the Seven Mile Beach and would tend to replenish sand at the Marriott or Royal Palms, sometimes depositing a lot of sand in a short day or two. Weather throughout the rest of the year tends to slowly erode those spots and move some of that sand back north.

Development anywhere along the the actual shoreline in Cayman is hugely controversial. Not such a problem to build a beach house, but if you want to move some rock around or add some sand to the waterline then THAT will be a problem. Remember, anything below the mean high water mark is Crown property so such development would be considered to be on public land.

Yes we see that amount of shifting in other areas during the winter including the Riviera Maya. Someone at the Marriott hotel had mentioned an upcoming reclamation project but perhaps we misunderstood as well. In 2012 there was no beach at the Marriott so evidently mother nature did her job well!